Force India suffered a dreadful weekend and were fortunate not to be more severely punished for fitting the wrong tyres to their cars during the race.
|Adrian Sutil||Vitantonio Liuzzi|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’16.220 (-2.732)||1’18.952|
|Average race lap||1’21.267 (+0.158)||1’21.108|
Sutil’s race weekend started to go wrong on Saturday morning when he was struck with a clutch problem during practice. The resulting gearbox change gave him a five-place grid penalty, leaving him to start from 19th.
The team decided to start him on super-soft tyres but make an early switch to hards, as Sutil explained:
It was always our strategy that, if after the start I had not made up places, I would pit on the first lap to change to the prime tyres and make up positions when other cars stopped later on. It was a good plan as you have nothing to lose when you are that far down, but there was some confusion in the stop.
Tonio had radioed to say he was coming in for a front wing change and as we both arrived at the same time the tyre sets got mixed up and then I had to come in and pit again to get the correct set.
Once they were on I got going and I could get quite far up the field but then I had to stop when the set went off.
During the confusion the same tyre was fitted to each car at different points in the race. Sutil had to make another pit stop to hand his team mate’s tyre back, then a third later in the race after going through the gravel in the stadium.
Perhaps not wanting to heap more misery upon the team, the stewards chose only to reprimand them. At any rate, Sutil only finished 17th.
Broke his front wing on the first lap, leading to the mix-up with his team mate and also racked up three visits to the pits on his way to 16th.
2010 German Grand Prix
- Ferrari face FIA World Motor Sport Council on team orders charge tomorrow
- Ferrari: ?óÔé¼?ôLauda missed out on a fine opportunity to keep his mouth shut?óÔé¼?Ø
- Lauda: Ferrari will get a pasting from WMSC
- From the stands: Tommy B and Katy watch the German GP at Hockenheim
- Technical review: German and Hungarian Grands Prix
- From the stands: Nikolai Vogler watches two races in one week
- “I am much quicker than Felipe” – how Alonso urged Ferrari to use team orders
- F1 fans slam rigged German Grand Prix
- 2010 German Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others