Alonso: “Winning is a great feeling”

Fernando Alonso brushed off criticism of his German Grand Prix win calling it a “great feeling” to win again.

Alonso said:

All wins are special. Winning is a great feeling and that was the case in Hockenheim, especially when I think of the huge workload undertaken by everyone at Maranello to achieve this fantastic one-two finish.

No one ever gave up and I know how pleased they were to see two Ferraris cross the line ahead of all our rivals. For over a month now we have been saying that we had to get back to winning at least once before the summer break and finally, we did it.

We did not have much luck in some races and, because of unusual incidents, we did not pick up the points we deserved. There was a slight feeling of frustration with this lack of results, but at last in Germany, for once we had a normal race on a weekend when he had no problems whatsoever and the result was there for all to see.
Fernando Alonso

He added he was not thinking about the championship yet and concentrating on winning again at the Hungaroring this weekend:

However, the win does not change my approach to the rest of the season. We knew full before Hockenheim that our car was much more competitive and that was what made me so confident. Now we must continue in this direction, starting this coming weekend in Budapest. [...]

It?s best to stay focussed and concentrate on your own work, trying to put together the perfect weekend, one step at a time. That is what we plan to do, starting on Thursday. I have already said it many times before: there is still a long way to go in the championship and the maths will only be done at the end.
Fernando Alonso

2010 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 German Grand Prix articles

135 comments on Alonso: “Winning is a great feeling”

1. Pakelika said on 27th July 2010, 18:56

Oh I tell you, I love the idea of a driver of his skill mixed with such a team, but this level of a childish arrogance is just so dissapointing. With all those silly aspects of f1, to remain humanly is to me really, the thing that is most important. Look at this brother, I feel as he really fails at that.

2. Charles Carroll said on 27th July 2010, 18:57

To his credit, he did ask if Felipe managed to finish second during his victory lap. I’ll give him that.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 27th July 2010, 19:26

As a bit of an afterthought. I kind of understood it as “hey did that other guy manage to keep from crashing or anything?”

• Phil T said on 27th July 2010, 19:29

To his credit ? I found it patronising, Felipe should have won.

• Charles Carroll said on 27th July 2010, 19:41

Oh don’t get me wrong. I was cheering for Felipe too. All I wanted to see was a clean race between Alonso, Massa, and Vettel, and I was just as disappointed as anyone with the outcome.

I’m just saying that at the very least, Alonso asked about Felipe, which leads me to believe that he may have felt uncomfortable with the entire turn of events. I give him credit for that.

Most of my ire with the event lies with Ferrari’s team bosses and not with the drivers. While I’m sure Alonso appreciates being on the receiving end of this favor, I would hazard a guess (or hope) that he would not have minded actually racing someone for a change too.

The man is skilled. I would hope that he still likes a challenge.

• Hallard said on 27th July 2010, 21:45

I have to respectfully disagree with you here, Charles. Alsonso’s question about Massa after the race definitely seemed a little patronizing to me, and he certainly didnt look uncomfortable standing up there on the top spot of the podium, or while waving to the crowd on his victory lap.

Also I think he definitely would have minded having to actually race against Massa; in fact we KNOW he didnt want to race him fair and square, judging by his incessant complaining to the team over the radio before Massa was ordered to stand down. Based on well-known past history, one could make a strong argument that Alonso really doesnt like a fair fight at all. I know and understand that Alonso fans (although Im not necessarily saying you are one)want to think the best of his intentions, especially when he’s being cast in such a negative light, but his attitude seems pretty indefensible to me.

• Charles Carroll said on 28th July 2010, 4:44

I have to say, Hallard, that your reply was so incredibly respectful, that I’m not sure I can even disagree with you anymore!

Who said there aren’t any decent people on the internet anymore? Thank you for your reply!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th July 2010, 7:18

At the time i thought it was more about Alonso asking what happend to Felipe to be sure about what had actually happend with being let past.

Up to that moment he could not have been sure, weather it was a car problem or the team order that got him in front.

• RaulZ said on 28th July 2010, 10:54

It’s incredible how many meanings can you get from “it’s ridiculous”.

Anyway, I’ve got a docen more of them.

My favorite one is that the team was telling him to pass Massa and he said that because you cannot pass a similar car if the one in front doesn’t want. Ridiculous was to do the same thing Vettel and Webber did. Crash. After saying that alonso left space to Massa. He tried to pass Massa in Australia and he couldn’t. Expecially when everybody knows that Alonso is happy with 2nd places and regularity.

If you want to undertand that he was increasingly asking the team for Massa to let him pass… well, that’s your fiction novel. I’ve got mine.

• bosyber said on 27th July 2010, 19:31

Yeah, because that is important for the team! … and the rest was just pretending not to know what had transpired, asking “what happened, a gear selection problem?”.

I was feeling a bit bad about Alonso too after Barcelona, where he said that 2nd was so much better if it was unexpectedly handed to you last minute because a competitor (Hamilton) had a problem. Not the best way to show sportsmanship, but does show a winners mentality.

• Steph90 (@steph90) said on 27th July 2010, 20:11

I know Alonso probably almost certainly would have known what was going on but just say he didn’t (they hopefully weren’t thick enough to talk openly on the radio) seeing Felipe suddenly slow could have been an issue so maybe he was genuinely concerned…I like to look on the good side. :)

3. MouseNightshirt said on 27th July 2010, 19:11

Pathetic.

That’s really the only word that I can think of in response to this statement.

This man needs to look up the meaning of the word “deportividad” in his dictionary.

4. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 27th July 2010, 19:27

No one ever gave up…

Fernando Alonso

Ummm…

Wait, didn’t Felipe Massa give up?

• RaulZ said on 28th July 2010, 11:02

Yes, Massa gave up, but Alonso is the evil.
      Piquet gave up, crashed his car by his own, but Alonso is the evil.
      FIA works bad, but if he complains, Alonso is the evil.
      Now we are paying for unfair FIA ways to aply rules, but Alonso is the evil.
      Alonso is pressed to the wall, but if he does it to anyone else, then he is the evil.

As IDR said: “We are attending to the public lynching of a driver.”

• Maksutov said on 28th July 2010, 12:40

” No one ever gave up…

Fernando Alonso

Ummm…

Wait, didn’t Felipe Massa give up?”

lol damn, that is classic

5. Phil T said on 27th July 2010, 19:30

Is this guy for real ? How many of his wins has he actually deserved ? To me most of them have been very hollow victories. He spent 2005/06 winning in a car with illegal suspension, but a blind eye was turned because it was better for the sport because the powers that be knew that the entire world was sick of Schumacher winning. Fact. He kicked screamed cried and spat his dummy to win on Sunday, and he was part of an engineered victory in Singapore 08. I was about to say his cleanest wins came at McLaren, but even then he tainted that with his major part in the spying scandal, McLaren don`t need to copy Ferrari to win. His behaviour and the damage done to McLaren was shocking, but I am glad he naused it up for himself and ended up back at Renault, minus the trick suspension. I know they are all aggressive competitive people, but this man is one ridiculous human being, and I for one hope he never ever wins a third title. Never thought I would say this but I would rather see Schu get his eighth.

• bosyber said on 27th July 2010, 19:33

Well, the suspention was only declared illegal late in the season for political reasons, and the reasoning was a bit of a stretch of the rules too, in fairness we can’t hold that against him.

• slr said on 27th July 2010, 23:28

Alonso may not be the most likeable driver, but to imply that he doesn’t deserve the sucess he has is a bit ignorant.

And by the way, if you can provide evidence to show that Alonso was in on the crashgate, then I would love to see it.

• So, probably, would the FIA, for that matter….

But never mind. He has been convicted in the court of public opinion and that’s all that matters.

• Todfod said on 28th July 2010, 0:54

@Red Andy. There are a lot of Alonso haters that have been waiting for the time to explode . But that doesn’t deny the fact that other teams, and drivers, have disguised this very act, and gotten away with it. Over the past decade, McLaren, BMW Sauber, Renault, Red Bull have all influenced the performance & results of their drivers. It is a fact!

From the Ferrari team’s perspective – The constructor’s title seems a distant dream , and the WDC is still an uphill batle.

You have a quicker, more aggressive, and consistent driver with a chance of winning the WDC. On the other hand, you have a driver who is loyal, inconsistent, and not performing to his expected level right now. Which driver’s chances would you want to maximise??? (ALO-98PTS & MAS-67PTS)

At the end of the year people are going to remember a team and driver by the WDC and WCC.

Alonso could have pushed harder, and attempted to overtake his teammate. OR, Ferrari could have realised, that they should avoid the risking of their driver’s pace and machinery. and maximise their potential for at least the WDC.

It sucks for us fans, that Ferrari did not disguise the act well enough as their rivals do.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th July 2010, 7:21

That suspension was perfectly legal until the Ferrari International Assistance deemed it to be illegal to give Ferrari a shot at winning the title.

A bit like them suddenly declaring Michelin tyres illegal in the latter part of the year 2005.

• Oliver said on 28th July 2010, 9:35

There was nothing wrong with the suspension. Whatever got banned was inside the nose cone of the car. Simply put, flexing sheet spring with a mass attached to it.

• Adam Tate said on 28th July 2010, 18:36

You mean in 03, the Michelins being declared illegal in 03, robbing Kimi and Montoya a chance at that years title.

• RaulZ said on 28th July 2010, 10:20

You’re goint to get sick of see him winning, so be prepared.

When FIA got sick of see him winning (I think it has already happen) then things will happen like unfair descission on 2 last GP.

The scandal is not that a team manipulate results, the real scandal is that FIA, who has to be unbiased, is who manipulated the last 2 GPs.

If you cannot see the difference…

• Adam Tate said on 28th July 2010, 18:39

Yes there may be some unfair Alonso bashing going on Raul, but to claim the FIA manipulated the two previous races is ridiculous. There is no with hunt, no conspiracy against Alonso. Just an unfortunate incident which provides us all of more concrete evidence that despite being a fast driver, he truly is not the driver we all wish him to be. A double World Champion should be honorable, an ambassador for the sport, and Alonso no matter what you think of him is not doing a very good job of that lately.

6. Dan f1 said on 27th July 2010, 19:50

Alonso can you please ring me on 0121 DO ONE!!! Lost all respect for him!

7. Yes, winning does feel great Fernando. And when you actually deserve it, it will even taste better…

8. Damon said on 27th July 2010, 19:54

Alonsos the best driver? That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day. Ha ha ha

9. Nick said on 27th July 2010, 19:56

I know F1 drivers are just supposed to drive and not be entertainers but when you compare Fernando Alonso to say Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello or even Lewis Hamilton in terms of persona, charisma, sense of humour etc…, you wonder why a sponsor or a team would like to be associated with him. And maybe that’s why he is so bitter and needs to at least assess his authority by being WDC every year.

10. SPA09 said on 27th July 2010, 19:58

Crazy!!! How stupid he thinks we people who watch the sport are. He just lies and gets away with it repeatedly.

11. Dianna said on 27th July 2010, 20:10

Alonso would have earned far more respect by coming 2nd to Felipe.He is very highly strung,and unfortunately he lacks discipline and self control…He frequently shows that he is a bad sport quite openly, and former Ferrari fans are turning against him now and the team…not that he seems to care anyway.

• Carl27 said on 28th July 2010, 0:12

Millions of fans will adore Alonso, millions more will despise him, and he doesn’t give a fig.
      He’s a winning machine who’s found his way from Asturias to already having two F1 championships in his pocket. Champion racing drivers are ruthless, selfish, complex people. If you’re looking for someone to love or take on holiday then it’s the wrong place to look.
      Martin Brundle

12. Joey-Poey said on 27th July 2010, 20:51

“we did not pick up the points we deserved”

Wow, entitlement much?

13. He says the win was a great feeling. Well that great feeling is NOTHING compared to pleasure I’d get from taking a hedge trimmer to those eyebrows….

14. michael mair said on 27th July 2010, 21:38

everyone knows the drivers title is the real prize, the constructors is just a token, ferrari are in with a decent chance with alonso, and absolutely no chance with massa ,they did the right thing !. any of the other teams facing the same situation would have done the same thing !. this is a hard nosed multi million pound business posing as sport.

• tharris19 said on 27th July 2010, 22:17

That’s weak assumption about the other teams based on no facts. Ferrari (FA, FM, SD, LDM) raped the sport and tells the victim (fans and viewers) they should like it.
      The fact that they do it with impunity is what makes the this one sad drama.

• Nick said on 27th July 2010, 23:44

Maybe not quite the right thing when the FIA aim a great big rule book in the direction of Luca Di M. with the intention of hurting him.
      This is gonna cost Ferrari a lot, so not a very clever move. Actually very dumb.

• Skett said on 28th July 2010, 1:59

How do you figure that? Alonso was ahead of Massa by 21 points if I recall, which if it was last year would be the equivalent of about 8, hardly thrashing him at the midpoint of the season!

Plus Massa has more engines left for the season, I can certainly see Alonso having to take grid penalties due to engine changes later on.

15. Bartholomew said on 27th July 2010, 21:56

I dont know why everyone is so upset. What about Red Bull switching the nose of the car and taking it away from Webber so that Vettel can go faster ? Every team tries to take any advantage that they can.
    Alonso wants to win like every champion in history. It is not his fault if they inform Massa by radio that he is slower than his teammate.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th July 2010, 21:59

What’s your point? That was pretty well condemned here too:

Should Webber have got Red Bull’s new front wing instead of Vettel? (Poll)

• Gill said on 28th July 2010, 4:50

My point is if Alonso is anyhow connected with some event, people says ALonso did it but in case of Red Bull, Chris Horner did. Alonso is made to be a villain here Keith. I admire your passion and this blog and I even acknowledge you arent biased towards any driver or team but 90 % of people referring to this site are alonso haters.

Massa moved aside on the orders of the team. Vettel was given Webber’s wing on the orders of team but look at the irony; Villains are RED BULL TEAM and ALONSO and not RED BULL TEAM and FERRARI TEAM.

What Ferrari did was morally wrong but what Alonso did was absolutely right. If some driver slows down, what would you expect the driver behind him to do, wait for him to push the throttle or go past him.

• tharris19 said on 27th July 2010, 22:27

This is not about Red Bull and there internal issues (check out earlier post). This is about the outcome of a race being manipulated by Ferrari to the benefit of Alonso. Alonso played (and is still playing)active part in this manipulation.
      He has reaped the rewards of stolen goods with no remorse and that’s scary. The man has issues.