Having hoped to qualify on the third row Mercedes only scraped one car into Q3.
|Michael Schumacher||Nico Rosberg|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’15.026 (+0.008)||1’15.018|
|Average race lap||1’19.860 (+0.048)||1’19.811|
Schumacher’s spirits were high after Friday practice, saying:
If everything goes as it should tomorrow, we should reach fifth or sixth position, which is a step forward, and maybe even more in the race.
But a late improvement from Nico H?â??lkenberg in Q2 left Schumacher in 11th place.
The team chose not to gamble on starting the race on medium tyres, and that seemed to pay off when Schumacher picked up three places on the first lap, mainly thanks to his good start from the clean side of the grid.
He would almost certainly have stayed ahead of his team mate but for the time he lost on lap 23. I’ve not been able to find out why, but he lost around a second on that lap and dropped back slightly from Kubica.
This meant that when Rosberg came out of the pits he was able to stay in front of Schumacher.
There wasn’t much between them in qualifying – Rosberg beat Schumacher into Q3 by just eight thousandths of a second.
Like Jenson Button, Rosberg ran long on his first stint and gained a position from it. But he wasn’t able to pass Kubica after his stop.
2010 German Grand Prix
- Ferrari face FIA World Motor Sport Council on team orders charge tomorrow
- Ferrari: ?óÔé¼?ôLauda missed out on a fine opportunity to keep his mouth shut?óÔé¼?Ø
- Lauda: Ferrari will get a pasting from WMSC
- From the stands: Tommy B and Katy watch the German GP at Hockenheim
- Technical review: German and Hungarian Grands Prix
- From the stands: Nikolai Vogler watches two races in one week
- “I am much quicker than Felipe” – how Alonso urged Ferrari to use team orders
- F1 fans slam rigged German Grand Prix
- 2010 German Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others