Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

Start, Hockenheimring, 2010

Which driver did the best job during the German Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the German Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the German Grand Prix weekend:

Fernando Alonso – Unrepentant victor. Most impressive in qualifying.

Felipe Massa – Moral victor. Defended his position well until he was told to hand it over.

Sebastian Vettel – Pole position and fastest lap, but lacked the speed to challenge the Ferraris.

Robert Kubica – Best of the rest, kept the Mercedes drivers behind.

Vitaly Petrov – A point and 14 seconds behind his team mate was probably his best performance yet

Pedro de la Rosa – Game effort on hard tyres, late-race fight spoiled by Heikki Kovalainen.

Compare all the drivers

You can review what happened to each driver in the race and compare their race data with their team mates using the links below:

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Nico H???lkenberg
Renault: Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Koalainen
HRT: Sakon Yamamoto and Bruno Senna
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa
Virgin: Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most in the German Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend?

• Jenson Button (3%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (7%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (1%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (2%)
  • Mark Webber (1%)
  • Felipe Massa (49%)
  • Fernando Alonso (22%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Nico H???lkenberg (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (1%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (1%)

Total Voters: 2,243

Loading ... Loading ...

British Grand Prix result

Mark Webber was voted the best driver of the British Grand Prix weekend.

2010 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 German Grand Prix articles

Image (C) Ferrari spa

118 comments on Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

1. sato113 said on 28th July 2010, 2:19

why did people vote Hamilton?

• Regis said on 28th July 2010, 3:26

Because they are English !

• Charles Carroll said on 28th July 2010, 4:38

I voted for the Yam because I am a Potato.

• Dianna said on 28th July 2010, 14:25

I am glad that you point out the word ENGLISH for certain voters.
        WHY??? Although we British – me included – live in the British Isles we have 4 very different nationalities.
        I am NOT English,but I am British and I gave my vote to Michael Schumacher for a very good start,in fact MSC gets very good starts, and, if the Mercedes GP cars suddenly reach the performance levels of ReD Bull and now Ferrari,you will see MSC and Nico on the podium regularly.
        Also Michael has a good calming effect on the team,can you imagine if it was Alonso with Mercdedes GP? LOL he would be throwing his childish and hysterical theatrical performances daily…he needs to grow up.

• joe said on 28th July 2010, 8:13

He did beat his team mate and webber… ok maybe they are all super hamilton fans bacause crashing the new car that the team are desperatly trying to get data for on friday morning was not the best driver of the weekend stuff

• Patrickl said on 28th July 2010, 12:43

Because Hamilton finished in front of Button?

Why did anyone vote for any driver? There just wasn’t anyone who actually stood out. Especially Massa and Alonso didn’t, yet they got a ton of votes.

2. tharris19 said on 28th July 2010, 3:10

I have to go with Pedro he out drove his team mate in good fashion. I can’t give it to either of Ferrari drivers because they didn’t race each other. They didn’t demonstrate any race craft when the opportunity was there for the world to see. One cried for help from big daddy, while the other punked out, gave in and looked miserable on the podium. That behavior does not deserve a reward.

3. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 28th July 2010, 3:10

I will say that Massa deserve that trophy but after the race I will say Kubica for his good overtaking move on Michael Schumacher.

• Ben Curly said on 28th July 2010, 8:51

I think you might have watched a different race. Kubica didn’t overtake Schumacher in Germany. Robert did put up a robust defence against Michael after leaving the pits, but he was in front of him the whole race.

• wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 28th July 2010, 12:09

The moment it happened was on lap 18 (I think) at that time the Star Sports Channel which shows F1 in Asia went for a commercial break so when they showed us the race highlights they only showed us the the last 4-6 second of the battle before both went to the hairpin.So I think there is were I was mistaken, trust me I wasn’t watching a different race.

4. Vincent1972 said on 28th July 2010, 3:30

Even if there’s no “team orders” happend I will still vote for Massa. He’s the most impressive on this race compared to his performance so far.

5. Regis said on 28th July 2010, 3:33

People here are voting Massa because they want to make it clear that they are unhappy with what happened. All Massa did was have a good start. That’s it. He was slow in the race, and if he didn’t let Alonso through i believe Alonso would have either overtaken him or they would have crashed.

Alonso was the fastest of the week-end regardless of what happened so gets my vote.

I wish we could vote twice as Kubica would get my vote also.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th July 2010, 8:55

All Massa did was have a good start. That’s it. He was slow in the race

You have to give him credit for his defence from Alonso on lap 21, I think.

I wouldn’t say he was the best driver of the weekend though. I voted for Kubica.

• sumedh said on 28th July 2010, 17:43

Bang on Keith.

The defence on lap 21 was pretty amazing. Never have I seen Massa or any other driver defend so well.

For me, the vote goes to Massa for 3 reasons:
        1. Capitalizing on Webber’s mitake in qualifying to get 3rd
        2. Making a fast as well as smart start. He had pre-planned to use the run-off after Turn 1, one can easily observe.
        3. Defence on Lap 21

• Cari Jones (@cari-jones) said on 28th July 2010, 18:28

You’ve got to give Massa credit for gaining so many fastest laps – both before and after Alonso took the lead.

He was more than 3 seconds in the lead – that’s pretty good, no?

• Avinash said on 28th July 2010, 19:14

My only question to you Keith is, if Alonso was the faster driver, why wasn’t he able to overtake Massa in the 49 laps that he had, as Fernando himself had said at the start of the weekend that overtaking was possible?

Also we must not miss the point that Massa could have planned on backing Alonso into Vettel so he could get Alonso off his back while Vettel and Alonso battled for second place. Its a shame that Ferrari didn’t let this happen, as we could have seen the Vettel Vs Alonso battle that we missed out in Valencia and Silverstone.

And as to explain why my vote went to Massa, its not because he was cheated or robbed of a victory but i saw him battle hard with his weakness of maintaining temperatures on hard tyres. Kubica or Alonso did what they do every race, but i saw Massa put in a genuine effort to get over his weakness and that’s why he got my vote.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 28th July 2010, 14:45

And Alonso had 49 laps to overtake, and failed, even when Massa was struggling on the harder tyres. And the circuit isn’t in Spain, Hungary, or Monaco.

6. Luiti said on 28th July 2010, 6:48

Please, for all of you who defend McLaren philosophy and think that Ferrari team orders are unfair and cheat (e.g M.Withmarsh)

In the same point 2 years ago, Kovalainen was ordered to give position to Hamilton…..

We’ll never know if Alonso would have been able to overtake Massa…. Massa moral victory? I don’t think so… he had his option, but Alonso also had and he was faster

• Regis said on 28th July 2010, 7:04

I am proud of you Luiti !!!! :) Finally a video of Mclaren doing it as well.

Did you write a title saying Manipulated race then whoever writes these things?

I want to hear what all the Mclaren fans here that wanted Ferrari Banned have to say;

Speak up !!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th July 2010, 7:12

I think i saw this video posted about 50 times in the last couple of days and i don’t get the relevance.

Nobody is arguing, that Ferrari are the only ones to use teamorders in the last 8 years.

But circumstances were different in the past (Massa/Kimi in 2007/2008 was clearly to clinch the WDC, Heikki/Lewis were on different stragegy and enabled Lewis to pass another 2 guys to win it, Kubica/Heidfeld in Canada 2008 were on different strategy.)

The point is, using team orders like Ferrari did in Hockenheim 2010, when both drivers could have still had a fair shot at the WDC, and only to favour the other driver, not targeted to improve the team total points was exactly what is illegal.

We do also know, that this year McLaren is having a serious try to give both guys even chances and RBR is having trouble doing the same.

• Luiti said on 28th July 2010, 7:58

Come on…..8th in the championship at mid season with 80 points less that Lewis…. and you say that Massa had championship options????

Maybe you consider that laped cars have still options to win the race….

Tha point was not to favour Alonso…. was th avoid the fight between them.
        Alonso was faster and he was trying to overtake (we’ll never know if he would have got it). You better driver, better position in the championship is behind the other one…. you can let them fight or you can let him pass…. but you should never avoid him to overtake

• judo chop said on 28th July 2010, 8:31

Clutching at straws with this tired comparison. It’s simple. Despite being in the same place on the track Kovalainen, considering fuel strategy and pace, was not actually in contention for position with Hamilton. If a driver inherents a position after the leading drivers pit should he continue to fight his team mate, who was amongst them, for that position despite needing to pit soon and being way off the pace? Of course not. If you can’t win then you should want your team mate to win. Kovalainen wasn’t “ordered to give position”, of which there’s no proof, since it wasn’t necessary.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th July 2010, 8:50

We’ll never know if Alonso would have been able to overtake Massa

He had a great chance to on lap 21 and blew it.

The video you posted has already been covered here: Why the team orders rule must stay

7. Gaz Beirne said on 28th July 2010, 7:25

I have just received a cheque for £75,000 to vote for Sakon Yamamoto.

8. statix said on 28th July 2010, 7:32

Voted MAS for an excellent start, during the race he was not impressive :/

VET does not deserve “the best driver” for his poor start.

HAM – did nothing wrong but also nothing impressive this time.

KUB – the best of the rest, nice defend from SCH but it is not enough for “the best driver”

ALO – no comments :)

• Ben Curly said on 28th July 2010, 8:57

After defending from Schumacher Robert managed to push really hard to keep Rosberg behind his back, and it worked. German left the pit lane behind Kubica. I think it also counts for something.

• Patrickl said on 28th July 2010, 12:46

But then Hamilton pushed to keep Button behind him and Button pushed hard to get in front of Webber.

There is always someone who pushed.

I pushed this morning when going to the toilet …

9. W-K said on 28th July 2010, 7:39

I voted for Massa because of his excellent start and holding off Alonso after the tyre change.

If Alonso couldn’t pass Massa when he had the tyre problems then Alonso did not deserve to win the race or get my vote.

I don’t think any other driver did anything of note.

10. Horacio said on 28th July 2010, 8:02

I was ready to vote for Massa (enormous start overtaking Vettel AND Alonso, and very consistent all through), but his resignation to accept the team orders was a huge source of frustration for me.
    I would vote for Kubica.

11. Ricky said on 28th July 2010, 8:03

Good ol Nico Rosberg. thank goodness someone can show Schumacher how to drive. Bring back MP 4 4’s and ban all driver aids, Watch Senna and piquet plus Mansel to see how it used to be done.. far better Racing.. Motocross Rocks

• Dianna said on 28th July 2010, 14:40

For Ricky,
      QUOTE >”Someone can show Schumacher how to drive”.LOL where have you been for the last 20 odd years???

Michael Schumacher raced against the best>
      Senna
      Prost
      Berger
      Hakkinen
      Mansell
      Raikonnen
      Damon Hill,
      Reubens Barichello,
      Alessi,
      Eddie Irvine,
      Villeneuve etc.,etc.,etc

He holds every CURRENT record of F1 including>
      Fastest laps,
      Pole positions,
      Most races won in a single season,
      Points scored,
      Race Victories
      World Championships

He also has won more races than all the current drivers on the F1 Grid put together.

Do a bit of research before making your silly remarks.

• DaveW said on 28th July 2010, 19:16

And where have you been during the 2010 Formula One season?

• Dianna said on 28th July 2010, 22:12

Watching,the same as everyone else.But like MSC,some of us are patient,and can wait for the icing on the cake,Schumachers 8th Championship.

12. Tango said on 28th July 2010, 8:41

I tried to do it by elimination
    LIU and SUT : Nice try, didn’t work
    LDG and GLO : What can I say ? the car has to be impossible to drive
    ALG and BUE : Again, what the hell is happening?
    YAM : Stop, I’ll laugh again
    SEN : Hardly noticed him
    KOB : Good race, solid.
    PDR : Shame for the accident
    KOV : Good race, ruined somebody else’s, but nobody’s fault really
    TRU : Better luck next time
    BAR and HUL : Lost 4 and 5 places, nice fight towards the end, liked it, but I really can’t put my finger on the Williams’ problem
    PET : Nice solid drive, for once
    KUB : Good race
    SCH : Beaten, only just, but again
    ROS : Solid drive, not scintillating
    BUT : beaten, only just, but again. Solid drive and I guess nobody was keen on him attacking Hamilton. Shame for the start.
    HAM : Great start and 1st overtake, settled for 4th and did not scintillate (for once)
    WEB : let down by machinery
    VET : solid job, bad start
    ALO : Needed help to go past his team mate, fastest man on the circuit
    MAS : Great start. Stupid act on the 49th revolution.

And I guess the best driver is… Was the SC out? Damn… I would’ve voted for him.

All right, I’ll have to go for ROS. Yet another very solid display, and when nobody sparks, you have to go for the safe bet !

• ZanteX said on 28th July 2010, 9:54

I agree, everyone did what was expected from them in this race. (except FI and STR :)) I voted Glock.

13. Peugeot said on 28th July 2010, 8:43

Why so many people on Felipe??

The question is:
    Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend?

Who was in challenging the Red Bulls in practise? Who manged to get 0.002 seconds behind from pole? Who get the best start off the line from the dirty side? Who was quicker throughout the race for the most time?

• Cyclops said on 28th July 2010, 9:56

compassion. That is all. No one would have considered him to be the best driver of the weekend If he had lost the win in normal fight on track.

• Patrickl said on 28th July 2010, 12:48

Who overtook two drivers at the start, was in the lead of the race, would have won if it wasn’t for team orders? Massa yes.

I didn’t vote for Massa, but I can understand people voting for him.

14. Cyclops said on 28th July 2010, 9:52

I thought Alonso, but the fact he needed TO to win and couldn’t do it on his own messed his weekend in my eyes.

I thought Massa, because of a great start and defending against Alosno, but he was behind all the rest of weekend.

Then I came up with Kubica who got nice fight with Schumacher and came up victorious. He also pushed his R30 to the limit of its current potential. And that was it. Vote for Kubica from me.

15. Jared404 said on 28th July 2010, 9:56

There was no option for “None of the Above”