Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

Start, Hockenheimring, 2010

Which driver did the best job during the German Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the German Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the German Grand Prix weekend:

Fernando Alonso – Unrepentant victor. Most impressive in qualifying.

Felipe Massa – Moral victor. Defended his position well until he was told to hand it over.

Sebastian Vettel – Pole position and fastest lap, but lacked the speed to challenge the Ferraris.

Robert Kubica – Best of the rest, kept the Mercedes drivers behind.

Vitaly Petrov – A point and 14 seconds behind his team mate was probably his best performance yet

Pedro de la Rosa – Game effort on hard tyres, late-race fight spoiled by Heikki Kovalainen.

Compare all the drivers

You can review what happened to each driver in the race and compare their race data with their team mates using the links below:

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Nico H???lkenberg
Renault: Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Koalainen
HRT: Sakon Yamamoto and Bruno Senna
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa
Virgin: Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most in the German Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend?

• Jenson Button (3%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (7%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (1%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (2%)
  • Mark Webber (1%)
  • Felipe Massa (49%)
  • Fernando Alonso (22%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Nico H???lkenberg (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (1%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (1%)

Total Voters: 2,243

Loading ... Loading ...

British Grand Prix result

Mark Webber was voted the best driver of the British Grand Prix weekend.

2010 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 German Grand Prix articles

Image (C) Ferrari spa

118 comments on Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

1. BBT said on 28th July 2010, 10:22

@Jared404, that is a good point, to me no one really stood out. I could equally pick anyone of 5 drivers

2. renzo said on 28th July 2010, 10:51

this time (quite sadly) I’ll say Hamilton: best he could do with it’s car, and heavy points for the championship

3. Jack Holt said on 28th July 2010, 11:01

I voted for Alonso through gritted teeth, he just looked the best driver the entire weekend, but for Vettel’s startline move Alonso would have beaten Massa. But he wouldn’t win a poll for most deserving driver or most sporting driver. For a guy complaining about ‘manipulated’ races only a few weeks ago he’s got some nerve to celebrate his ‘special’ win.

4. Dash said on 28th July 2010, 11:48

Hello,

I think that the best driver during all weekend was Alonso, Massa had a very good start but just because Vettel tried a Kamikaze move trying to get him and Alonso out of the race.
    Later on, Massa was able to keep the lead, only because Alonso is a company-man and didn´t attacked Massa because of the risks associated with ending the race for both of them.
    Massa should have understood right from the beginning that the best options for Ferrari at the moment lies in Alonso and not in his person.

regards,
    D

5. Steph90 (@steph90) said on 28th July 2010, 11:48

I said Felipe Massa but by a whisper. Alonso squeezed every last bit of speed he could from the F10 on Saturday. I think it was his best quali since his Minardi days.

However, Massa showed the better race craft. He got a good start and was doing well of the softer tyre. He was better on the hards than I thought he’d be but he made some mistakes despite that he still kept Alonso behind and defended well while Alonso stuffed up his own chance at getting by. With these two, I can only judge 2/3rds on the race because as soon as the switcharoo happened it was just a march to the end.

Petrov would get a golden star sticker from me. His pace and race craft were very good. Best of the rookies.

Kubica? Not really. His team mate was close ish to him, the Renault is a great little car but he didn’t make any mistakes and did the job. Actually, he’s had much better performances this year and I thought this was one of his most lacklustre.

Hamilton- at a track that was supposed to be exciting surprisingly dull but after the quali fluff he got ahead of Jense which was alright I guess.

Vet- had the edge on mark all weekend. Speed was good but messed up again in the race and seemed to try to put Alonso in the wall. If he calms down a bit he might just convert more of those poles into wins.

I’d just like to say it’s very nice to be able to vote for Felipe Massa again! I’ve missed it.

6. Daffid said on 28th July 2010, 12:09

Don’t think it was Petrov’s best race, that was Turkey where he was in the top 10 all weekend and was looking very good indeed, keeping Fernando behind to hold 8th, till Alonso hit him and gave him a puncture on the penultimate lap. He’s been very unlucky generally I think.

7. zarathustra said on 28th July 2010, 12:26

I would vote for Massa but thanks to Ferrari I can’t do that this time.

My vote for Kubica, his defend on brand new tyres was splendid (I was almost sure that Michael will pass him).

8. DaveW said on 28th July 2010, 14:31

I had to pinch my nose and vote Alonso. But, mostly by elimination. No one really stood out this race.

I notied that Keith listed no UK drivers in his summary. Keith, why do you hate the United Kingdom and the Queen? Stop showing your anti-English bias for once.

If I take a broader view, I have to give Hamilton a call. He had a scruffy weekend, was outqualified by his usual Saturday whipping-boy, and accomplished only picking up two places in the race. But guess what, those where two places he needed to extend his championship lead. That’s the kind of drive you look back on in making a championship.

• F1Fan said on 28th July 2010, 14:35

Dave, I voted for Massa, but I cannot disagree on Lewis. If he ends up winning the WDC, it will be mainly because of performances like this, where he still gets maximum or near-maximum points out of a not very good situation.

As for Keith, I have to disagree. He is mostly on the side of UK drivers, which is not the best thing either for a supposedly neutral journalist.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th July 2010, 14:59

I had no idea Kubica was British (I voted for him).

Also, I’ve never claimed to be neutral. I don’t think anyone can realistically make that claim.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th July 2010, 15:00

I’m assuming that’s a joke?

9. F1Fan said on 28th July 2010, 14:32

I voted for Massa, even though Alonso was blindingly fast all weekend. On a dry track , he is still occasionally brilliant. He had a great start, held position after the pit stop, managed tires and engine well, no mistakes, consistent lap times.

And why do I have this feeling he may win in Budapest ? F1 loves this type of scenario, don’t they ? Kubica won in Montreal a year after his big accident (remember that ? when Kimi “accidentally” hit Lewis in the pitlane, while Lewis was basically parked ?)

But then again Alonso needs every point he can get for the WDC, so while I think Ferrari will win again, I can see reasons for either driver to score the win.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 28th July 2010, 14:54

“(remember that ? when Kimi “accidentally” hit Lewis in the pitlane, while Lewis was basically parked ?)”

Remember it? Well you don’t, that’s for sure. Lewis hit a parked Kimi.

10. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 28th July 2010, 15:29

I’m not voting at all.

Vettel and Webber weren’t that great, I was disappointed by both McLarens to be honest, and any claim the Ferraris had immediately go out of the window for what they did. No-one else impressed either. Truly the worst weekend of the season on many counts.

11. sumedh said on 28th July 2010, 17:45

For me, the vote goes to Massa for 3 reasons:
    1. Capitalizing on Webber’s mitake in qualifying to get 3rd
    2. Making a fast as well as smart start. He had pre-planned to use the run-off after Turn 1, one can easily observe.
    3. Defence on Lap 21

12. Hairpin said on 28th July 2010, 18:02

Why bother, it’s just a procession usually. Nothing to do with Motor Racing these days, the circuit just isn’t up to it, nowhere to overtake and quite boring unless your into crashing into barriers and safety cars
    Only held for the filthy rich to parade their latest girlfriend, yacht, whatever, do a lucrative deal or two and sip champagne. Not that there’s anything wrong with that per se it’s just not F1 racing the cars are to fast for it and have been since the eighties.

13. Just Me said on 28th July 2010, 20:20

@Keith
    There must be some bug in the voting script software:

* Lucas di Grassi (2%, 3 Votes)
    Total Voters: 1,914

14. Harry said on 29th July 2010, 0:22

I actually voted for Jenson Button, i’m a Hamilton fan.

I just couldn’t vote for either of the Ferrari drivers. The driver of the week-end just cannot concede a position, despite the fact it was a team-order. Alonso definitely no after he failed to take his “slower” team-mate in a respectable manner.

Button was forced to take on all of the development data gathering after Hamiltons crash. He then out-qualified Hamilton and was unlucky at turn 1, but did really well to jump Webber.

Over-all it was a pretty dismal week-end for F1, the fact that I was ridiculously uninspired by my driver of the week-end shows this. The sooner it is forgotten the better.

15. James Reid said on 29th July 2010, 12:23

We were denied what was promising to be a cracker of a battle between Felipe and Alonso by a “team order”. Team orders are NOT allowed under current rules, Ferrari need to pay the price for denying F1 fans the entertainment that we all want!