Sakon Yamamoto’s second appearance for HRT – this time in place of Karun Chandhok – did not go very well.
|Sakon Yamamoto||Bruno Senna|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’19.844 (+1.252)||1’18.592|
|Average race lap||1’26.680 (+2.7)||1’23.980|
Blamed a gearshift problem for his lap which saw him qualify 1.2 seconds slower than his team mate.
According to Lucas di Grassi on Virgin’s Twitter account, Yamamoto’s slow start was because he had his pit lane speed limiter on. Di Grassi started behind the HRT and would have been able to see the flashing red light at the rear of his car.
Yamamoto lapped around half a second off Senna’s pace and mysteriously stopped on lap 19. Anthony Davidson later claimed on Twitter that Yamamoto had been trying to adjust his brake bias but accidentally pulled the fire switch instead, turning his engine off.
HRT have not responded to enquiries to verify either of these stories. Here’s what their press release said about Yamamoto’s race:
Sakon Yamamoto stopped in lap 19 on the straight after the car suddenly stopped. The reason for this we have to investigate in order to understand what exactly happened. I have to thank the team for their work the whole weekend and for their very good pit stops today.
Update: HRT have got in touch to say “Sakon had to stop the race because of an electrical fault.”
Was able to keep up with Timo Glock to begin with, though the Virgin driver was using the hard compound tyres.
But Senna picked up a slow puncture on lap 22 and fell out of touch with the other new teams’ drivers.
2010 German Grand Prix
- Ferrari face FIA World Motor Sport Council on team orders charge tomorrow
- Ferrari: ?óÔé¼?ôLauda missed out on a fine opportunity to keep his mouth shut?óÔé¼?Ø
- Lauda: Ferrari will get a pasting from WMSC
- From the stands: Tommy B and Katy watch the German GP at Hockenheim
- Technical review: German and Hungarian Grands Prix
- From the stands: Nikolai Vogler watches two races in one week
- “I am much quicker than Felipe” – how Alonso urged Ferrari to use team orders
- F1 fans slam rigged German Grand Prix
- 2010 German Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others