Vettel: “I was sleeping” at restart

2010 F1 season

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Hungaroring, 2010

Sebastian Vettel was unhappy with the drive-through penalty that cost him a likely win in the Hungarian Grand Prix.

He was hit with a penalty for failing to stay close enough to the leader Mark Webber as the race restarted.

Vettel admitted in the press conference he hadn’t been ready for the restart:

It was a very easy race because we had a pace advantage. At the restart I was sleeping and I was probably relying too much on the radio. In the first stint I lost the radio and didn’t hear anything. I was waiting for an instruction when the first car was coming in.

Also Mark, when the safety car is coming in the leader usually drops back, but he was very close.

Then when I saw Mark and the safety car very close to each other and the safety car was going into the pits I realised what was going on.

I am very disappointed because it would have been a walk in the park today.
Sebastian Vettel

He gestured angrily with his hands when he came in to serve the drive-through penalty during the race. He said afterwards he didn’t understand why he’d been given the penalty:

I didn’t understand what was going on and why I’d been penalised. So it was a question mark for me, I didn’t understand at the time.
Sebastian Vettel

Vettel ended the race in third place.

2010 Hungarian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Hungarian Grand Prix articles

Image (C) Red Bull/Getty images

61 comments on Vettel: “I was sleeping” at restart

1. Slim said on 1st August 2010, 15:22

its funny how many pole positions this kid has botched

2. bosyber said on 1st August 2010, 15:24

I’ll see that as showing his inexperience and youth. I guess we can’t really fault him more than Hamilton when he is having trouble when the pits isn’t clear or smart (as shown in China). He does need to stop that and realize that he is racing there – similarly to dropping back to take the fastest lap, instead of trying to put pressure on Alonso.

Webber definitely looks to be the more complete driver of the two this season.

3. dragon said on 1st August 2010, 15:25

This is one of the few I felt sorry for him though, because he was untouchable for most of the weekend. Still, I just have to remember Turkey for the guilt to vanish!

4. Cyclops said on 1st August 2010, 15:25

Shouldn’t he get another penalty for crossing the line while pitting?

• i guess that only applies when he’s exiting the pitlane

• Whether you can cross the white line at the pit entry, as well as other similar details, is notified to the team managers during a meeting at the beginning of the race weekend.

• Maciek said on 1st August 2010, 19:19

I was wondering the same thing, just like after the race where Alonso jumped in front of Massa at the last second – are there clear rules for pit lane entry? And if not, shouldn’t there be?

5. LOL he got to control all that finger pointing, and arm waving…

What a tool.

6. Damon said on 1st August 2010, 15:29

Keith: “I didn’t under what was going on and why I’d been penalised.”
    know* ?

7. Are we sure it was the restart where vettel broke the 10 car gap rule? The replay on the telecast showed vetted falling behind webber along the pit straight (still under safety car, before the restart). Maybe it happened more than once?

8. flatbeat said on 1st August 2010, 15:31

mad day, webber wins again, gee atherton wins qually in DH world cup.

9. Eric said on 1st August 2010, 15:34

great place to have a sleep. LOL

when watching Mark Webbers in car camera doing those fast laps after the safety car, man that car was sooo smooth in an out of the corners, no twitching it hung in there and responded to Marks every move, what a awesome car.

10. PepsiPerfect said on 1st August 2010, 15:41

Vettel should be given a penalty.

He was not in FULL control of the car, he had removed his hands. This should be penalized, IMPROPER driving.

11. Steph90 (@steph90) said on 1st August 2010, 15:43

Even if he was asleep he should have woken up. He should have won or could have won but he chucked it away for whatever reason. he’s right to be annoyed but at himself not the penalty.

I’m not Seb’s biggest fan and I think he’s wrong to be having a go when it was his own fault but at least he seems human and a bit less PR which is rare with drivers.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 1st August 2010, 15:53

People want emotion from drivers. I’ve heard people saying they are sick of robots saying “I’d like to thank the team and sponsors for everything.”

Everyone wants to win the title. Seb wants it so bad so surely you can understand when he finishes 3rd (when it was a clear victory for him) he’s not smiling and all happy.

Same with Alonso in Valencia and Silverstone. They want to win, I want to see drivers wanting to win, not settle and be happy with a result that’s not what they should have got.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 2nd August 2010, 8:07

I agree it’s nice Vettel tells what’s on his heart here. This one’s up there with Kimi “getting bored” in the car.

Well Seb, most of us were getting just as bored as you seeing you going around miles in front of everyone else.
      Sorry you fell asleep during the SC, but you saved the race for a lot of the viewers, so thank you for that.

12. Franton said on 1st August 2010, 15:47

Bleh, he just ruined his reputation with me. Sulking on the podium, angry gestures aimed at the stewards … he needs to go away and grow up.

• justhinking said on 1st August 2010, 16:12

Franton – Right you are !!

• KlBD said on 1st August 2010, 19:22

Maybe experiences like this are just what the doctor ordered on that front..for example I think the trials and tribulations McLaren faced in 09 ended up producing a much more mature Hamilton (though he’s still got some rough edges, i.e. yelling at the crew in Australia), but misfortunes can be pretty good learning experiences in racing :)

• fordsrule said on 2nd August 2010, 5:06

So Massa’s repututaion with you is ruined as well?

13. GWBridge said on 1st August 2010, 15:50

Some weeks ago, someone made the comment that Vettel was fast when he was alone in clear air, but that he couldn’t overtake. What I have seen since convinces me that this is true. Yes, I know the Ferrari was faster down the straights, but there’s definitely a pattern here. And he needs to understand that all of the rules, even the most elementary ones, apply to everyone, no matter how special you are.

14. GWBridge said on 1st August 2010, 15:52

Webber vs Schumacher vs Vettel. What a contrast in personal character and sportsmanship.

15. zeke said on 1st August 2010, 15:59

The Boy Blunder strikes again and talk about sour faced about it ,what a brat.