Vettel: “I was sleeping” at restart

2010 F1 season

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Hungaroring, 2010

Sebastian Vettel was unhappy with the drive-through penalty that cost him a likely win in the Hungarian Grand Prix.

He was hit with a penalty for failing to stay close enough to the leader Mark Webber as the race restarted.

Vettel admitted in the press conference he hadn’t been ready for the restart:

It was a very easy race because we had a pace advantage. At the restart I was sleeping and I was probably relying too much on the radio. In the first stint I lost the radio and didn’t hear anything. I was waiting for an instruction when the first car was coming in.

Also Mark, when the safety car is coming in the leader usually drops back, but he was very close.

Then when I saw Mark and the safety car very close to each other and the safety car was going into the pits I realised what was going on.

I am very disappointed because it would have been a walk in the park today.
Sebastian Vettel

He gestured angrily with his hands when he came in to serve the drive-through penalty during the race. He said afterwards he didn’t understand why he’d been given the penalty:

I didn’t understand what was going on and why I’d been penalised. So it was a question mark for me, I didn’t understand at the time.
Sebastian Vettel

Vettel ended the race in third place.

2010 Hungarian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Hungarian Grand Prix articles

Image (C) Red Bull/Getty images

61 comments on Vettel: “I was sleeping” at restart

1. W154 said on 1st August 2010, 16:07

Wow!! Now he’s blaming Webber for his stuff up! It doesn’t matter that he doesn’t know the rules but that nasty Mark Webber, well, imagine him being close to the safety car. Poor little wunderkind, can’t think and drive at the same time.
    Someone at RBR should tell him it is a mark of disrespect to stand with your hands on your hips during the playing of a national anthem.

• dyslexicbunny said on 1st August 2010, 16:46

I bet if Chandok was his teammate, he would call Vettel to let him know things were getting serious again.

• That’s what I’ve been thinking. Take a look at his interviews this year and it’s always someone (or thing) elses fault.

Maybe it’s what you need to win, but sometimes you need to accept that you are to blame, if only to learn from the situation next time round.

2. mp425 said on 1st August 2010, 16:42

Steve Slater on Star sports was telling something like Vettel was defending webber by holding up alonso so that webber can make his pit stop later!!

3. GeeMac said on 1st August 2010, 16:45

Initially I thought that he was implimenting a team order to let Webber get ahead the jump on the field to ensure he jumped Alonso when he stopped… his gesturing proved that wasn’t the case.

• DaveW said on 1st August 2010, 18:06

Exactly my thoughts. And it seems that Webber should have been the one penalized for benefitting from the pick-move. Why else would Vettel have let Webber stretch out a two-corner lead just as the SC went in? Vettel knew what he did, he just didn’t know it was illegal.

What’s with his hand-shaking at stewards, and his apparent go at them post race, etc.? In other sports you don’t get to openly disrespect the refs like this wihout punishment.

• pSynrg said on 1st August 2010, 20:18

I must admit this is what I thought was going on. I actually thought we were seeing some outstanding team work from Red Bull. Seb holds up the pack just long enough for Mark to get P2 (of course I didn’t consider the 10 car rule at all.)

Then again this is not what happened. Vettel was having a nap!

• SoLiDG (@solidg) said on 1st August 2010, 20:36

pretty sure that’s what happened. But I knew on the spot he would get a drive thru. I even tought you couldn’t do as much as ten cars.

4. The Limit said on 1st August 2010, 22:55

As much as I like Sebastien Vettel, I still think he has a long way to go before he wins the championship. In this I am not questioning his obvious talent and skill behind the wheel of a racing car, but his attitude.
    He clearly made a mistake today and was punished for it, but it was his reaction afterwards that was most telling. He let the whole thing get to him, unsettle him, and he lost sight of the bigger picture. From Mark Webber’s perspective not only did he manage his mammoth stint on supersoft tyres superbly, but he kept his overall focus. He clearly, at the same time as driving the wheels of his racing car, planned with the team via radio how to best pit without losing too much time to Alonso. That was impressive, under pressure, thinking of how best to ‘help the boys’ and make the task as easy as possible.
    No doubt Ferrari spotted Vettel’s blunder and were probably quick to tell Charlie Whiting there perspective of the proceedings, and for awhile, it looked as if it were Fernando’s race to lose. Until Webber showed just how far he has come, and just how fast he can go.
    I have wondered these last three weeks just how Vettel would have reacted at Silverstone if he had found himself in Webber’s shoes and the team giving the Australian all the new toys first? I think I got my answer at the end of this race today in Hungary. If Christian Horner is true to his word, and favours the driver within the team with the more points, I can only see Vettel becoming more and more fracturous. I can’t wait!

5. Paul said on 1st August 2010, 23:03

Vetel should have a penalty in Germany for his start at the last GP. Today he was complaining for his drive-t ¿? when it was just his fault.
    Come on, this guy can not be a class 1 driver, too many mistakes and pole-positions wasted.
    He should think about not beein able to overtake Alonso in 30 laps with a car 1sec faster.

6. Carl said on 2nd August 2010, 0:16

A drive thru penalty is cheaper than $100,000 fine for showing team tactics to manipulate the result. The problem was he was meant to give mark a gap on the restart but not that big a gap that he would break the 10 car length rule. Perhaps the team wrongly assumed he knew the rule. So in this scenario, which is my speculation, seb might be angry at mark for taking off so quickly and the team for not explaining it. He would feel he followed team orders and been robbed of the win. Note the team advised him on the radio to say nothing on the way in, they would talk about it. Yep,…get the story right ” i was sleeping” to avoid a fine. And i cant help suspecting mark, being an older and wiser head, might have known exactly how to play his part to ensure it was himself in 1st. I am sure he would have known the restart rule.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 2nd August 2010, 12:40

That was my first thought about why it had happened but there was no team radio indicating it had happened (hardly surprising given Vettel’s apparently wasn’t working) and Horner denied any such instruction had been given.

• Tito said on 3rd August 2010, 11:53

Even for a low clever driver there is no need to comment by radio that strategy, your team mate has not pit yet so give him enough gap and we will make a 1 2 victory and if somebody ask say “my fault I was sleeping”. Someone may think you are and idiot but if you win at the end who cares.

But in Ferrari there is no way to do such a clever movement and the need to say phrases like “comfirm you understood” after hearing Massa´s question to his box “wich position is webber after his pit stop?”… a driver who is more than a second lap faster than you? and after 43 laps? are you sleeping too?

sleeping and driving should be banned!!!

7. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 2nd August 2010, 2:45

One thing which many of us forget is that he is relatively a ROOKIE against his championship rivals so I think he will take sometime to get on things. One thing he needs to learn that he need to keep his cool under bad conditions when you lose something you can’t do anything but do that next best thing,so second place today is what he all deserve.

8. Paul said on 2nd August 2010, 9:02

Mark saw this coming . With Seb so far behind, if he could make a quick pullaway after the SC came in, there would be a good chance Vettel would be unaware of what was hapenning, the distance could be stretched and Vettel could have been penalised.
    Seb should have been closer and been in a position to take Mark from behind the SC. Vettel probably did not want to risk another coming together with Mark.
    I just find it so infuriating that Seb loses because he always tries to do the right thing, Mark instead is a fighter and will put Seb into the barriers if need be.
    Seb needs to learn to fight!

9. Chris Powell said on 2nd August 2010, 9:20

you’re joking right? lol.

10. Anon said on 2nd August 2010, 11:06

To be honest i enjoy watching Vettel suffer. I hope Mark pips him again in spa!