New images reveal 2011 Indian GP plans

Four new pictures published by Hermann Tilke’s company show what the Jaypee Group Circuit will look like when it hosts the first Indian Grand Prix in 2011.

The images show the pit buildings, the grandstand along the main straight and part of the pit lane.

A track layout was revealed last November. At that the time circuit was expected to be slightly less than 5km, but according to Tilke it is now 5.14km, putting it on a par with most modern tracks.

Read more: Indian F1 track design revealed

Thanks to Kaushal for the tip.

35 comments on New images reveal 2011 Indian GP plans

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th August 2010, 9:39

Those buildings look a let futuristic, but more practical than AbuDhabi.
    I would have expected them to use more of the colours of the indian flag in it though (instead of combining blue and green). Still looks pretty good.

2. Karan said on 11th August 2010, 9:40

Hmm doesn’t reveal too much, but nothing crazy like Yas Marina.

3. ajokay said on 11th August 2010, 9:40

Looks like they’re getting most of the materials from Ikea.

Also, why do all of Tilke’s renders show cars from what looks like the 2002(ish?) season? The Aboo Dabby renders were the same.

They need to update that paddock render too. I don’t think you’ll see any Bridgestone trucks out the back come 2011.

• Robert McKay said on 11th August 2010, 9:51

“Also, why do all of Tilke‚Äôs renders show cars from what looks like the 2002(ish?) season? The Aboo Dabby renders were the same.”

Maybe Hermann Tilke actually died several years ago but left behind an archive of three hundred grand prix track concepts for Formula 1 to choose from over the next hundred years.

The sport will have moved on to hovercars but the same 2002-ish render will appear in them :-D

I’m fairly sure I saw these pictures before and thought then what I do now – that the first shot looks like a very nice multistory car park.

• Shimks said on 11th August 2010, 12:41

Hovercars! I can’t wait!! :)

• Robert McKay said on 11th August 2010, 12:45

Something like Wipeout 2097 would be cool :-D

• graigchq said on 11th August 2010, 16:10

yes!! with full guided missiles, deflector shields and proximity mines too please.

No overtaking?? no problem:

“cloak engaged!!”

try and push me into the wall now Mr Schumacher.. you can’t SEE me!! haha

• Burnout said on 11th August 2010, 18:36

Not to mention a Ferrari Enzo at the entrance, and an Arrows on the main straight.

Do you think there may have been Michelin trucks in the space around the Bridgestone ones? :-D

4. Welcome Keith :)

I heard that the average ticket price will be around $250. With 100,000 sitting capacity, will they be able to fill all the stands?

5. I’m not massively impressed by the architecture. Would have liked a proper Indian stamp on it but the buildings look like any generic scheme that could be anywhere in the world. Can’t see any inspiration in them at all.
    A wasted opportunity in my eyes.

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th August 2010, 11:40

It looks nice. It looks functional, without being over-designed. The front straight also looks quite claustrophobic, creating a tunnel-like effect.

7. Butler258 said on 11th August 2010, 11:59

It looks modernist.

I like modernist.

• Steezy said on 11th August 2010, 13:09

I heard the layout has been modified since that original one was released, so it might look different… probably not by much though. Although Keith is saying it’s gone from less than 5Km to 5.14Km which gives some room for change.

It is a dead ringer for Kyalami though, just modernised in the usual ways.

• Ads21 (@ads21) said on 11th August 2010, 18:05

shame they didn’t rip off the old Kyalami…

8. Charles Carroll said on 11th August 2010, 14:43

I’ll only watch it if there are water hazards incorporated.

9. Found 1 more picture of team Area:

10. Chris B said on 11th August 2010, 21:42

I think these show the biggest problem with Tilke – more concerned with the trackside buildings and grandstands than the actual circuit.

I just can’t get excited about shiny buildings!!!

• Dipak T said on 11th August 2010, 23:11

When people think of Spa, its an image of Eau Rouge. Interlagos – Juncao and Subida dos Boxes. Valencia? A stupid little bridge. Hmm.

Damn Bernie and his shiny buildings, hes like a bloody magpie. And if you are somehow reading this Bernard, Interlagos may need a bit of spit and elbow grease, but not a ruinous multimillion pound revamp.

11. AlonsoWDC said on 12th August 2010, 2:31

It’s a pagoda!

12. Ninad said on 12th August 2010, 3:03

As long as track is good for racing, there is nothing more I want.

13. David B said on 12th August 2010, 12:54

Since aerodynamic force is as high as weight it could be theoretically possible…

• Gerdoner said on 13th August 2010, 0:45

Isn’t that an… well, not an urban myth, but… missing the word here.
      The cars generate enough downforce to do it, but the engines are not build running upside down making it all very hypothetical.