Belgian Grand Prix practice in pictures

Vitaly Petrov, Renault, Spa-Francorchamps, 2010

Rain fell on both the practice sessions at Spa today but it hit the first one the hardest, drenching the Ardennes forest track.

After the four-week break several cars were sporting updated, notable the Renaults, which had their new F-ducts as well as a new sponsor on their sidepods.

Sauber too have a new sponsor on their rear wing and Rubens Barrichello has a special logo on his car for his 300th race. See below for more pictures from today’s practice session at Spa.

2010 Belgian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Belgian Grand Prix articles

Images (C) Ferrari spa, Mercedes, Renault/LAT, www.mclaren.com, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India F1 Team, Bridgestone / Ercole Colombo, Lotus Racing

30 comments on Belgian Grand Prix practice in pictures

1. Lluis said on 27th August 2010, 15:54

What happened with the Reb Bulls ? Did they modify the flex wings to pass the tests ? This could explain the bad times, but better wait for tomorrow.

• spectator said on 27th August 2010, 16:33

there wasnt the need to change the wings they were aproved even after the more severe fia tests so mclaren didnt get what they want as you know the renault engine isnt the most powerfull and redbull f-duct isnt yet very effective so thats the problem because of the rain we cant be sure if they can get faster

• MarkC said on 27th August 2010, 16:37

I enjoyed Sebs humor on bbc regarding the wing / ride height / trick suspension etc…

To paraphrase:
      “I’ve not seen any of the other teams copy our high / low lever.” That was good dry humour, and makes me forgive some of his petulance seen in recent races. I’m fickle me!!

Soooo pleased the F1 circus is back in town!!

2. sato113 said on 27th August 2010, 16:33

have you got any of the traffic jam?

3. spectator said on 27th August 2010, 16:37

great pics as usual i love good rain pics

4. James said on 27th August 2010, 16:41

Good to see that Sauber have managed to pick up another sponser. Only a small one, but a sponser none-the-less!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th August 2010, 20:32

I noticed that Burger King is still on the car, originally they were ment to be sponsors only for the 2 spanish events.

I suppose the good succes in Valencia and the last couple of races made them stay. And now they have that crazy crododile engery drink.

Good to see those cars filling up again.

5. So when do / did the FIA carry out the revised tests ?

6. Ned Flanders said on 27th August 2010, 17:15

Sorry to be picky Keith but arent the Renault logos on the sidepods rather than the engine cover?

Who cares I suppose, the important thing is new sponsors are gradually beginning to emerge which has to be a good thing

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th August 2010, 17:34

I thought I’d put sidepod – must’ve got confused with Williams in my mind. Changed it now.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th August 2010, 20:33

Any idea what kind of companies that are on the Renault?

• torrit said on 28th August 2010, 1:49

Banks. Snoras is Lithuanian, EFG is more global.

• BasCB said on 29th August 2010, 17:58

Thanks about that. Seems Renault/Genii capital are really going for Central/Middle Europe and Russian/Asian markets there.

A good argument for keeping Petrov then (although Lituanians will rather see Kubica with maybe a German or Finnish driver then any Russian in the car).

7. Steezy said on 27th August 2010, 17:19

The traffic jam should be one of those memorable F1 pics, I’m sure some of them artsy photographers got some good shots of that.

8. Marisa R said on 27th August 2010, 18:41

I am so excited for this Grand Prix to start! These pictures are getting me crazy excited!!! Any predictions?

9. BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th August 2010, 20:35

Actually that Rubens 300th GP autfit and the logo and brazillian flag on the car are done very tastfully!

Keep it on there Rubens, and make it another win in your 303th start!

10. BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th August 2010, 20:36

Here’s a nice picture from Rubens with his special issue helmet, suit and the logo on the car.

11. John H said on 27th August 2010, 21:27

Did the front wing flex today anyone know?

12. US_Peter said on 27th August 2010, 23:09

The Renault F-duct looks like one of the more complex ones we’ve seen so far. Two different ducts, one coming out of the wing pointed down, and one under the wing pointed up…

13. Bartholomew said on 28th August 2010, 0:24

I was just yesterday watching the great movie “The Crow”.
    May I say that there is a dark Gothic look about Spa when it rains heavily, with the cars going into the dark forest with the red tailights and the mist of water ?
    Set to the music of Nightwish

14. Cunning Stunt 8 said on 28th August 2010, 1:41

/Changes underwear. What a beautiful place.

15. Alex Bkk said on 28th August 2010, 8:19

I love the shots of the elevation changes. That’s something that TV cameras don’t do very well. The Jaime Alguersuari shot really captures this. I also love the shot of Alonso headed down pit lane with the drops of spray from the wheels frozen in mid-air.

16. Anyone noticed the RBR wing is no longer hitting the ground… could just be the circuit though or damp conditions.. but then you still would of thought you’d be able to see it and I haven’t so far but early days.

Also notice the Ferrari wing was not flexing but maybe it will today.

• bosyber said on 28th August 2010, 9:30

I was having the same thoughts. I think the extra ride height and less speed due to wet conditions was part of the reason.

It seems that Red Bull is using a wing closer to the Turkey one (see camera pods again on nose, and different end-plate region), and Ferrari a pre-Germany one.

Might just be a matter of downforce required, or maybe they also thought to take less flexy wings because that extra downforce wasn’t worth the risk of not passing the tests for Spa?

• bosyber said on 28th August 2010, 9:32

If the latter is the case, then great acting work for the Red Bull team saying “there was never anything wrong with our cars” (remember, they did have to modify things like those aero suspension parts before).

• bosyber said on 28th August 2010, 9:34

Sorry, make that “Ferrari a pre-Silverstone one”.

17. Just incredible pictures Keith… I was going to comment on the ones I like, like I normally would. But I’m not sure if that’s a realistic target! :D