|Adrian Sutil||Vitantonio Liuzzi|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’47.292 (-1.388)||1’48.680|
|Average race lap||2’01.667 (-0.585)||2’02.252|
There was no repeat of their 2009 pole position for Force India – Sutil was their highest qualifier in eighth.
He passed Nico H?â??lkenberg for seventh after the first safety car period and pitted on lap 21 to preserve his lead over the recovering Fernando Alonso. His lap times on the soft tyres had also dropped off slightly before then.
After his pit stop he used his fresher tyres and the VJM03′s excellent straight-line speed at the exit of Eau Rouge to pass Kamui Kobayashi, Rosberg and Schumacher on consecutive laps.
Now fifth, he pitted for intermediates on lap 34 while the leading quartet stayed out one more lap. He spent the closing stages of the race hunting Felipe Massa’s Ferrari for fourth place.
Sutil pronounced himself satisfied with his fifth place, matching his best result of the year so far, saying: “I think that was the best we could do”
Team manager Andy Stevenson said the team had trouble getting Liuzzi’s car to work as well in a straight line as his team mate’s:
We’ve had some issues trying to identify why his car is lacking top speed. Each week we seem to find something we can improve his lap time with. And it happened here again – on Friday he was really struggling with top speed and on Saturday it wasn’t an issue. We identified several areas which helped improve it and I think that showed today.
In the race Liuzzi pitted early on lap ten to cover Alonso but could only keep the Ferrari driver behind for a couple of laps. He was back in the pits on lap 25 having damaged his front wing on Vettel’s car after the Red Bull driver passed him.
Liuzzi pitted twice as the rain began at the end of the race, ending up on the full wet weather tyre. He rose to 11th when Pedro de la Rosa spun and Jaime Alguersuari’s penalty handed Liuzzi his first point since Canada.
2010 Belgian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Belgian Grand Prix
- From the stands: Carol Treurnicht watches the Belgian GP at Spa
- Liuzzi: “I’d have passed Alguersuari easily”
- Button denies braking early in Vettel crash
- Hamilton “wasn’t pushing” when he went off
- 2010 Belgian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?
- Damage limitation for Webber – but not Vettel (Red Bull race review)
- Ferrari’s practice pace disappears on Sunday (Ferrari race review)
- Renault’s latest upgrade gives Kubica a shot at victory (Renault race review)