Who was the best driver of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?

Start, Spa-Francorchamps, 2010

Which driver did the best job during the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Belgian Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Belgian Grand Prix weekend:

Lewis Hamilton – Always seemed to get a bit more out of the car in the wet conditions than anyone else.

Mark Webber – Stayed cool after a poor start, put a handy pass on Massa and kept the pressure on Kubica.

Robert Kubica – Revelled in the updated Renault and was unlucky to miss out on a front row start.

Adrian Sutil – Passes on Kobayashi, Schumacher and Rosberg set him up for a season-best-equalling fifth.

Nico Rosberg – Used his wet set-up to great effect to pass Schumacher and Kobayashi at the final restart.

Compare all the drivers

You can review what happened to each driver in the race and compare their race data with their team mates using the links below:

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Nico H???lkenberg
Renault: Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Koalainen
HRT: Sakon Yamamoto and Bruno Senna
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa
Virgin: Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most in the Belgian Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?

• Jenson Button (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (51%)
  • Michael Schumacher (7%)
  • Nico Rosberg (1%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (1%)
  • Mark Webber (8%)
  • Felipe Massa (1%)
  • Fernando Alonso (2%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Nico H???lkenberg (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (2%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (0%)

Total Voters: 2,581

Loading ... Loading ...

Hungarian Grand Prix result

Mark Webber was voted the best driver of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend.

2010 Belgian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Belgian Grand Prix articles

126 comments on Who was the best driver of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?

1. GeeMac said on 31st August 2010, 5:29

Well Hamilton (running off at Rivage), Webber (the start, which wasn’t really his fault) and Kubica (missong his pit box) all made mistakes, but on the whole it had to be Hamilton’s day. It was a super drive in difficult conditions, and he kept his head and showed a blistering turn of pace at times.

2. Gill said on 31st August 2010, 5:50

For me, its Adrian Sutil. Very good qualifying, good start (didnt lose a place, he generally tends to), very good passes at the crucial time. He was once threatening Massa too. He should be on a better team may be Renault or Mercedes

3. Sutil by all means. The vote is very British > Hamilton who I adore, but almost went out & got lucky !

4. Marco said on 31st August 2010, 6:35

Sutil and Alguersuari… Both destroyed their teammates in terms of pace in Spa…

5. Rahzam said on 31st August 2010, 6:38

Any option for worst driver of race. I want to choose Vettel :)

6. Alex said on 31st August 2010, 8:06

Hamilton did a very nice Jos “Grindbak” Verstappen, but I voted Sutil for driver of the race.

7. Sharon said on 31st August 2010, 8:09

Picked Sutil, he was flawless all weekend.

8. Eric said on 31st August 2010, 8:12

i Voted Hamilton. great race control in trying conditions.

plus he has feelings for his team mate,
    i still think they are the best partners on the grid
    L.H. Quote”
    “I feel really sorry for Jenson, He did a great job. I got around Turn One, looked in my mirrors, saw him picking up places, and thought, ‘That’s good, that’s good.’ Then he got up to second, and I thought, ‘That’s fantastic — another opportunity for a one-two.’ Then, cruelly, he was taken out through no fault of his own — which was really unfortunate for him, and for the team, because he did everything he could to get us the most points in the constructors’ championship today. But he’ll bounce back even stronger.

9. As at the time of this post Vettel had 12 votes – how could he even get 1 vote?

10. Not Hamilton. I mean, sure, he was good, but to almost end the race that was in the bag, had he just braked a fraction later, that is not impressive in my opinion. I went for Massa, I think the car was just not good enough, at least not with the Monza(?) rear wing.

11. Tiomkin said on 31st August 2010, 10:46

Has to be Shumi. He put in a stunning driver despite his penalty to move from 21st to 7th. We need to remember that it rained for him too.

12. Jared404 said on 31st August 2010, 11:15

Hamilton had a great drive in very difficult conditions, and Webber did well to qualify well and then keep his head when things went wrong. We have seen him lose it it similar situations before today.

13. David Johnson said on 31st August 2010, 11:26

Got to be Hamilton, it was amazing he was still ahead, even after his detour…impressed by Button though…before he got taken out !

14. antonyob said on 31st August 2010, 11:44

89 fanboys for MS. hilarious if it wasnt so sad.

Lewis by a mile. 2nd place Spa. best circuit in the world

• David A said on 5th September 2010, 15:27

He gained 134 places and drove a great race. Feeling the need to insult others to justify your opinion, makes you the hilarious one.

• David A said on 5th September 2010, 15:28

He gained 14 places and drove a great race. Feeling the need to insult others to justify your opinion, makes you the hilarious one.

15. antonyob said on 31st August 2010, 12:35

Fanboys fighting back ! Ralph, sorry Michael, looks like a little boy lost, hes even being nice to people in the pits. So he beats torro rosso’s and lotus’ off the grid. whoppee! His overtake on Rosberg whilst opportunistic was a bit Vettelish and his outright pace is way off his team mates.

In comeback terms its more Frank Butcher than Frank Sinatra. A shambles and unfortunately for him hes learning what the old phrase means: Be careful what you say to people on the way up, you may need them on the way down.

16. Paulo said on 31st August 2010, 13:12

Hamilton’s car control in the wet was excellent. Yes he made a mistake around turn 5 but that happens when you are pushing at the front. And how fast was the Renault down the straight! Yikes!

17. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 31st August 2010, 13:13

Massa was so quiet..but given the weather thats probably a good thing!

I really enjoyed seeing Alonso and Liuzzi go wheel to wheel so respect to Liuzzi.

Schumacher held it together nicely also.

18. Paul Graham said on 31st August 2010, 13:30

I would love to hear some reasons from the 13 people who voted for Vettel. Also am I the only one who is getting sick of various presenters/pundits, when discussing Vettel’s mistakes and problems, who feel it necessary to always add at the end something along the lines of: “but he will definately win the title in the future”. On current performance, and I know he is still young, but No I dont think he necessarily will. Does it really have to be discussed as as if it is simply a fact of life that he will.

19. I love how Rosberg gets a mention in the original post, but not Schu. Schu is quicker than Rosberg in every practice session (as far as I know), quicker in qualifying, and then proceeds to gain 14 spots during the race to Rosberg’s 8, passing Rosberg once. And Schu was only barely passed by Rosberg at the end, with Ros on a wet weather setup.

I rate Rosberg highly, but people seem so have written Schuey off; they don’t pay attention when he drives well. Schumacher was roasting Rosberg on a spit at Valencia before an absurd strategy decision murdered his race.

Rosberg’s quick in qualy, no doubt, but when the green flag flies, youth and enthusiasm is definitely being outshone by old age, treachery, and outright otherworldy skill…

Schu has my extreme respect – not necessarily because he’s so fast, but because he always fights so hard. In 2005, a guy who just one five championships in a row was totally uncompetitive; his tires were awful, his car was midfield at best. But he drove like a demon the whole season, pushing just as hard for 10th as he ever did for first.

And Schumacher has come back not to win races but to drive at the limit. He certainly knew he wouldn’t be winning the WDC this year, or even winning races, but he drives for driving, and if for no other reason he deserves respect.

As far as his incident with Barrichello, it was indeed a bit much – but for all the complaints about how Schumacher has made these incredibly dangerous moves so many times, that would kill people and cause huge accidents and oh dear oh dear…. he’s never actually caused a huge accident doing one of those incredibly dangerous moves.

Vettel, on the other hand, manages to do not nearly so dangerous moves, and puts people off all the time. When Schumacher puts people off, at least it’s not by mistake! ;)

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st August 2010, 15:02

Yes, Schumacher gained more places – but he did have two HRTs, a Virgin and a Lotus between him and Rosberg. I think giving a seven-times world champion a round of applause for passing that lot in the car he had would be a bit patronising.

• I don’t know, I think I’d be more worried about passing two HRTs, a Virgin and a Lotus than about passing Mark Webber, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, and Rubens Barrichello! :)

(And I bet Webber would agree…)

• Dianna said on 31st August 2010, 19:01

Keith,MSC will have 8 titles in a year or 2.There are thousands of fans Worldwide who still applaud him.You are obviously not one of those.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st August 2010, 22:34

If I jumped up and down and sang his praises when he’d had a race that was good but not incredible, then when he genuinely did put in a brilliant performance and I raved about it, it would be meaningless because I’d set the bar too low.

He put a good pass on Rosberg during the race, and I give him credit for that. Problem is, Rosberg re-passed him later on. And, really, what else did Schumacher do in the race to get excited about?

This is a serious question – if you think I’ve overlooked a great qualifying performance, a string of brilliant laps and great overtaking moves, please point them out.

• Dianna said on 31st August 2010, 19:07

@Perisoft.
      I couldn’t have put it better myself.Last Sunday,Barichello ruined Alonsos race,but I haven’t seen anywhere that Alonso is screaming for an apology.Barichello has been round that track more than most and he still caused mayhem and destruction.(mainly to himself.
      The track conditions was the same for all.Big sympathy for Jenson,honours for Lewis.

• Don’t get me wrong, I’m not down on Rubens. If Schumacher pulled that stunt on me I’d be yelling for blood too – but that doesn’t mean it’d be objective. There’s a reason we don’t have victims set punishment. :]

And as far as that goes, Rubens just got caught out in the rain. Everybody went off at that corner; he was just unlucky enough to have someone right in front of him. Vettel, on the other hand, didn’t have unexpected conditions, and was trying a banzai move.

I knew for three corners that Vettel and Button were going to end up in trouble; Rubens just had an “Oh, s***!” moment.

20. antonyob said on 31st August 2010, 15:05