Schlegelmilch F1 photo exhibition in London

Stefan Johansson, Ferrari, Monte-Carlo, 1985

Stefan Johansson, Ferrari, Monte-Carlo, 1985

An exhibition of F1 photos by Rainer Schlegelmilch opens in London later this month.

Schlegelmilch has captured Formula 1 history since the 1960s and the exhibition will include some of his most iconic pictures.

The organisers of the exhibit have kindly allowed me to reproduce two of them below including a personal favourite of mine, showing Stefan Johansson’s Ferrari spitting fire at Monaco in 1985.

Bruce McLaren, Cooper-Climax, Spa-Francorchamps, 1964

Bruce McLaren, Cooper-Climax, Spa-Francorchamps, 1964

The exhibition coincides with the publication of a new book of Schlegelmilch’s photography, “The Golden Age of Formula 1″. It is at the Proud Camden gallery on Chalk Farm road in London and runs from September 16th to October 24th.

If you’re planning to go to the exhibition, please let us know in the comments.

F1 fans in Singapore can visit another exhibition of Formula 1 photographs. “Moments in Motorsport” will be held at One Raffles Quay South Tower lobby from September 23rd to October 1st. It features photographs chosen by Rubens Barrichello, Sir Jackie Stewart and Getty Images photographers.

Images ?é?® Rainer Schlegelmilch

33 comments on Schlegelmilch F1 photo exhibition in London

1. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 6th September 2010, 13:09

That photo of the Ferrari takes awesome to a whole new level.

2. Sound_Of_Madness said on 6th September 2010, 13:12

This. Is. Awesome. Period

3. yep, i’ll be there. photography + f1 = perfection.

4. sojcarter said on 6th September 2010, 13:14

I’m definitly going to this exhibition, not really an oppurtunity to be missed really is it? It seems like a stunner!

5. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 6th September 2010, 13:23

I once did a photography project on Rainer Schlegelmilch. Nothing more than an excuse to spend a two hour lesson looking at F1 cars.

6. He is what appears to be the official exhibition website for those wanting more information about the event:

7. matt88 (@matt88) said on 6th September 2010, 13:52

that ferrari photo is a perfect wallpaper for my laptop. thanks! :D

8. I may have a week off between the opening-closing dates so if I do I will be popping down. Looks brilliant!

9. daykind said on 6th September 2010, 14:49

I won’t be able to go, but will anybody be putting the pictures on this site?

10. Charles Carroll said on 6th September 2010, 15:16

That is cool stuff! I would love to see some of those made into posters, for I have a lot of empty wall space in my garage that could be filled nicely with photos like these!

11. Sparkyj23 said on 6th September 2010, 15:18

Thanks for the heads up – I’ll be making the trip to both these

And thanks for the wallpaper

12. Great tip, very nice pictures. A shame i cant go to it.

13. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 6th September 2010, 16:19

Might go to it depending on price – which the website seems curiously silent on, or am I missing something?

14. The picture of the Ferrari is magnificent, and brings back memories of the shear spectacle of the silly part of the turbo era but perhaps we may have those massive flames again in 2013! They were caused I recall by Ferrari’s anti lag system pumping raw fuel into the exhaust on overrun, controversial but never banned as far as I remember, they dropped it I believe because of the overall thirst of the engine…. but under a fuel flow formula in 2013….. I doubt it but I can dream….

• I think what makes that Ferrari picture awesome is not only the flames, but the overall profile of the F1 car of the mid- to late-80s. Look at those meaty rear tyres, that massive wind and the shear width or track of the machine.

The smaller but higher rear wing and slick tyres used since 2009 actually make the rear profile of the current F1 car quite attractive, in my view. But I really miss those wide tyres and track.

A1GP had them with the Lola chassis (current Auto GP chassis) and though it wasn’t a good looker by any means, the rear profile was just awesome.

15. BNK Racing said on 6th September 2010, 18:31

they couldn’t have this last year when i was still studying in london? lol. that ferrari pic is incredible!