Jenson Button was fastest for McLaren in the first practice session of the weekend at Monza.
He was a tenth of a second faster than Sebastian Vettel’s Red Bull with Lewis Hamilton setting third fastest time in the other McLaren.
Both MP4-25s ran with very steep rear wings in practice as they tested how well their F-duct works on the high-speed Monza track.
Robert Kubica was fourth fastest for Renault, nine-thousandths of a second faster than Nico Rosberg.
Rubens Barrichello and Bruno Senna stopped on the track during the session, the former appearing to stop with a transmission problem on his Williams.
Several drivers had problems with the first chicane, locking their brakes and running across the run-off. Mark Webber, sixth fastest, ran wide there and Kamui Kobayashi knocked over one of the marker boards.
Vitantonio Liuzzi was another driver to take a trip down the run-off. He ended the session 0.4 seconds faster than team mate Paul di Resta, who was driving Adrian Sutil’s car. Sutil will be back in the car for second practice – when he was fastest at this circuit last year.
The two Ferraris of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa were eighth and ninth, and Nico H?â??lkenberg’s Williams completed the top ten.
|2||5||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1’23.790||0.097||27|
|6||6||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1’24.446||0.753||26|
|7||15||Vitantonio Liuzzi||Force India-Mercedes||1’24.512||0.819||19|
|12||14||Paul di Resta||Force India-Mercedes||1’24.923||1.230||23|
|14||16||Sebastien Buemi||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’25.318||1.625||29|
|15||22||Pedro de la Rosa||Sauber-Ferrari||1’25.320||1.627||20|
|17||17||Jaime Alguersuari||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’25.897||2.204||19|
|20||25||Lucas di Grassi||Virgin-Cosworth||1’26.956||3.263||17|
2010 Italian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Italian Grand Prix
- Jamey Price watches the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Hamilton: “I could have done some passing”
- Sutil: “I was in the wrong place everywhere”
- H?â??lkenberg’s drive “his best to date”
- 2010 Italian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Late scare with de la Rosa can’t keep Alonso from victory (Ferrari race review)
- Set-up gamble pays off for Button as Hamilton crashes (McLaren race review)
- Vettel recovers to surprise fourth after mid-race drama (Red Bull race review)
Image ?é?® Force India F1 Team