Sebastian Vettel was fastest in the second practice session at Monza.
He pipped Fernando Alonso by seven hundredths of a second and Felipe Massa underlined Ferrari’s pace with the third fastest time.
Massa had been poised to improve his time before going off at the exit of the Parabolica at speed.
He slid sideways through the gravel trap and narrowly missed hitting the barrier.
The McLaren drivers led the way in the early part of the session despite running substantially different set-ups on their cars.
Jenson Button continued using the steeper rear wing from first practice to begin with, while Lewis Hamilton used a lower rear wing and then tried a version without the F-duct. He was just 0.056s quicker than Button at the end of the session.
Hamilton suffered a problem with his front wing during one run when the front-right endplate broke, forcing him to pit for repairs.
Mark Webber ended the session in sixth place but had to cut his running short after a water leak on his engine. He was told by his team to stop the car on the track.
But that paled in comparison to HRT’s problems. Bruno Senna made three attempts to get out on the track, all of which ended with the car breaking down. Sakon Yamamoto only managed five laps in his car.
A few other drivers joined Massa in off-track excursions. Michael Schumacher went off at the Parabolica earlier in the session, though somewhat less dramatically than Massa, and Kamui Kobayashi slewed sideways into the gravel at the second Lesmo corner.
|1||5||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1’22.839|
|6||6||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1’23.415||0.576|
|11||14||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1’24.181||1.342|
|12||15||Vitantonio Liuzzi||Force India-Mercedes||1’24.380||1.541|
|15||16||Sebastien Buemi||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’24.517||1.678|
|16||22||Pedro de la Rosa||Sauber-Ferrari||1’24.547||1.708|
|18||17||Jaime Alguersuari||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’25.106||2.267|
|21||25||Lucas di Grassi||Virgin-Cosworth||1’26.631||3.792|
2010 Italian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Italian Grand Prix
- Jamey Price watches the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Hamilton: “I could have done some passing”
- Sutil: “I was in the wrong place everywhere”
- H?‚??lkenberg’s drive “his best to date”
- 2010 Italian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Late scare with de la Rosa can’t keep Alonso from victory (Ferrari race review)
- Set-up gamble pays off for Button as Hamilton crashes (McLaren race review)
- Vettel recovers to surprise fourth after mid-race drama (Red Bull race review)