Lewis Hamilton set the fastest time in the final practice session for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.
But Red Bull and Ferrari showed strong pace with Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa all lapping within two tenths of a second of Hamilton.
Hamilton’s quickest lap came at the end of the session on soft tyres – and was aided by a slipstream from the Force India of Adrian Sutil.
Alonso wasn’t so fortunate – he caught Kamui Kobayashi’s Sauber heading into the Parabolica on his last run and was held up, waving his arm at the Japanese driver.
Sebastian Vettel improved to second after the chequered flag came out, crossing the line just five hundredths of a second slower than Hamilton.
But team mate Mark Webber suffered a second car failure of the weekend, his RB6 coming to a halt at the Rettifilio halfway through the session.
Massa survived another lurid moment in a gravel trap, this time at Lesmo where Jaime Alguersuari also went off during the session.
Nico Hülkenberg ended the session eighth ahead of Robert Kubica and Sutil.
At McLaren and Red Bull the drivers have gone in different directions in set-up.
Button is sticking with the deep rear wing and F-duct, while Hamilton is using a shallow rear wing and no F-duct. As was the case yesterday, Hamilton was 13kph quicker through the speed trap than his team mate.
Webber is using a different rear wing to Vettel and the pair were seen with flow-vis paint on their rear wings again at the beginning of the session as their team compared the different solutions.
|2||5||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1’22.545||0.047||21|
|7||6||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1’23.082||0.584||9|
|10||14||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1’23.303||0.805||19|
|12||16||Sebastien Buemi||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’23.673||1.175||20|
|15||17||Jaime Alguersuari||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’23.909||1.411||17|
|17||22||Pedro de la Rosa||Sauber-Ferrari||1’24.191||1.693||19|
|18||15||Vitantonio Liuzzi||Force India-Mercedes||1’24.439||1.941||15|
|22||25||Lucas di Grassi||Virgin-Cosworth||1’26.682||4.184||19|
2010 Italian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Italian Grand Prix
- Jamey Price watches the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Hamilton: “I could have done some passing”
- Sutil: “I was in the wrong place everywhere”
- Hülkenberg’s drive “his best to date”
- 2010 Italian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Late scare with de la Rosa can’t keep Alonso from victory (Ferrari race review)
- Set-up gamble pays off for Button as Hamilton crashes (McLaren race review)
- Vettel recovers to surprise fourth after mid-race drama (Red Bull race review)