Hamilton regrets set-up error

Lewis Hamilton thinks he made a mistake by deciding to take the F-duct off his car for the Italian Grand Prix.

Team mate Jenson Button used the team’s regular rear wing with an F-duct while Hamilton used a much smaller rear wing without an F-duct. He said:

I?m a little bit disappointed ?ǣ it would appear that we took the wrong route by running without the F-duct this weekend. I just didn?t have the downforce today, and the car was sliding in the corners ?ǣ I couldn?t push any harder because the car just wouldn?t give me any more.

For tomorrow?s race, I?ll have good top speed, but the car is going to be sliding through the corners, so I won?t be able to follow closely enough through the corners to try and pass, so it?ll be tough.

But I have to congratulate Jenson on doing a great job. Today wasn?t my best qualifying performance of the season, but we?ll still push like crazy tomorrow and fight for some good points from the third row. It looks like it?ll be a tough race.
Lewis Hamilton

He will start behind Button for the fifth time year.

2010 Italian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Italian Grand Prix articles

79 comments on Hamilton regrets set-up error

1. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 11th September 2010, 19:03

Yeh, yeh, here we go with the predictable put-downs.

The deficit to the pole time is worse than it should be. Both laps either had mistakes or had Hamilton dealing with a car in front. In reality, 3 tenths would be a more likely deficit.

And the race is not qualifying. They will not be wringing the car out on the edge anywhere near the whole way through.

They can even twist the wing angle a bit on the grid (I’m sure that’s allowed, if not, at the first stop), sure there’s no F-duct but it might help.

Everyone (including Hamilton himself) seems to have formed an opinion on the basis of 10 minutes. Over the rest of the weekend, he was dead level with his team-mate despite having a different set-up throughout except in one practice session. Unless Jenson sandbagged 4 tenths, which is pretty much unlikely, the issue is not the set-up.

Out-driving Webber to the first corner, Hamilton would then have maybe three opportunities to make up at least one more place on the lap, if not more, and another opportunity at the beginning of Lap 2 if he’s lucky. With Webber looking like he’s not going anywhere above 5th, that’ll do Lewis for his championship hopes.

Or he might crash at the first corner. I don’t have the guaranteed answer!

2. David Johnson said on 11th September 2010, 20:00

Personally, I’m bit dissapointed with Lewis Hamilton throwing his toys out the pram. I was worried that Hamilton would go for a F-duct today. At least now he can drive naturally, as opposed to trying run from pole. Its gonna be a real classic…with Webber/Jenson cornering well and Massa/Hamiliton faster in a straight line…with crash test dummy vettel behind and kubica ready to pick up the pieces…its got to be the best start ever…

3. Nah, don’t quite agreenwith what’s said, cornering, straight line speed and whatsoever are just part of the car. The driver has a big influence as well. Just imagine vetted being in a car that is fast on the straight, and the classic crash kid will be back.

Hamilton will do well I guessl ,maybe 2 nd , 3rd or fourth if nothing bad happens. His ability to break late due to the apparent science that he is able to exert a greater force to the breaking pedal when needed, will allow him to gain places .

4. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 11th September 2010, 22:02

Hamilton simply messed up in Q3. Alonso, Button and Massa all went 3 tenths quicker from Q2 oto Q3. Hamilton went 2 tenths slower.

Even with this setup you’d expect Hamilton to be able to half a second faster than he did.

Of course you’d expect Hamilton to be 3 tenths faster than Button in Q3. So indeed perhaps he lost an extra 3 tenths there. And thus pole.

McLaren claimed they were faster on the harder tyres though, so it could very well be that we get to see another impressive series of overtakes from Hamilton.

That is, if he manages to get through turn 1 with those two Red Bulls around.

5. It’s amazing that the single explanation for any failure by Hamilton to dominate is that he is not “smart.” I wonder why that particular perjorative springs immediately to mind among so many. Is he notoriously bad at crossword puzzles? Does he not have enough A-levels? Too working class, perhaps? Who knows? What we do know is that he’s leading the points, having dominated the erudite Mr. Button, in the races.

I don’t think there was any issue of making the wrong call. Both set ups were dead equal throughout all of practice. Track and weather condiions were about the same too. In Q2 the McLarens were, again, dead even. he simply got it wrong in Rettifilo in Q3. Thus, to say that his call was somehow daft, much less than that it reflects on his mental abilities, is less than honest.

Regarding the race, I think Keith failed to recall the results of his typically informative analysis that in practice, McLaren, in either set up, was up to .7s faster than RBR or SFM on the hard tire on long runs. Practice also showed that Ferrari and RBR was about equal with them on the soft tire. So we have seen the second part of the analysis play out. And tomorrow we will see the first. Alonso is not running away with this race.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th September 2010, 0:05

I think that’s more likely to be a case with the high-downforce set-up Button’s gone for than Hamilton’s. Remember Hamilton used the high downforce set-up in FP1.

6. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 12th September 2010, 3:44

I was surprised that Hamilton didn’t choose that same strategy as Button did as that was a real good one from him.Hamilton will struggle today but he also need to make sure that he can target the podium. Expecting Massa beating Button by starting on the clean side & Hamilton doing the same with Webber then he can challenge Button who is 15 km/h down on top speed relative to Hamilton.

7. janet talbot said on 12th September 2010, 9:58

to todfod: i am not deluded your reply is stupid,it makes NO difference to maclaren who wins the race out of button or lewis they still get top points in the constructors championship,it is common knowledge that button is whitmarsh,s favourite,always has been.button will soon overtake lewis points if whitmarsh continues to favour jenson.

8. In a way Jenson and Lewis both took gambles, I must admit that I thought keeping the F-Duct would be the best thing to do this weekend and Jenson has proved that I think.

The race is going to be very interesting though and I’m not entirely sure, but Hamilton might have made the right choice and Button’s low top speed might leave him vulnerable to passing maneuvers at the end of the long straights at Monza.

Hamilton needs to pay most attention at the moment not too Button but to the man just ahead of him, Mark Webber. Although the other drives can close in on the two of them they are still the championship leaders.

I don’t agree at all that McLaren should interfere with who finishes where amongst their two drivers at the moment as either could win the championship and as far as the team is concerned the Constructors Championship is more important – it decides their share of TV money etc.. – so total points between the two drivers is what they’re looking for.

9. It is Hamilton who as took the risk, I believe all the frontrunners are using the f-duct. I don’t understand hamiltons decision to go different. Everybody keeps banging on about hamiltons straightline speed, but if hamiltons car is sliding all over at the parabolica he won’t get close enough to overtake down the straight.

10. Who is using the f-duct?

• janet talbot said on 12th September 2010, 11:06

all the drivers who run the f-duct are running the f-duct at monza except lewis,strange ay? lewis is the only one not running the f-duct.

11. Hamilton champion? Not a chance