Fernando Alonso said his win for Ferrari in the Italian Grand Prix felt as good as his home victory four years ago.
Speaking in the post-race press conference he said:
It’s something maybe I can only compare with the feeling I had in 2006 winning in Barcelona, my home Grand Prix. It was a very special moment that, and this is too.
It’s a fantastic feeling, obviously it was a very tough race with very strong opposition today with a fantastic drive from Jenson. We tried to put both Ferraris in the first two positions after start but it was difficult.
He praised his pit crew who played an important role getting him out ahead of Button when he made his only pit stop of the race, one lap after Button:
They did a fantastic job the team again with a fantastic pit stop, and thanks to them we are sitting here because we made the overtake in the garage.
We were thinking at that time about the possibilities of coming in one lap later or one lap earlier. We had to find the right choice and right moment. When we saw Jenson coming we had just one lap to push and rely on the mechanics.
2010 Italian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Italian Grand Prix
- Jamey Price watches the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Hamilton: “I could have done some passing”
- Sutil: “I was in the wrong place everywhere”
- H?â??lkenberg’s drive “his best to date”
- 2010 Italian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Late scare with de la Rosa can’t keep Alonso from victory (Ferrari race review)
- Set-up gamble pays off for Button as Hamilton crashes (McLaren race review)
- Vettel recovers to surprise fourth after mid-race drama (Red Bull race review)