Lewis Hamilton rued his contact with Felipe Massa on the first lap of the Italian Grand Prix.
He apologised to his team after crashing out of the race on the first lap:
I made a good start, gained a position, got up to fourth, and, at that moment, perhaps I should have just stayed there for a while. But I put my car up the inside of Felipe into Turn Four, trying to get third, and that was probably a little bit too much.
I was trying to position the car in a certain way, I was too close to Felipe, and his left rear clipped my right front. The car was damaged after that, and there was nothing I could do; you try your best, but some things just don?óÔé¼Ôäót go your way.
Today was a shame, and I want to say sorry to the team. But the championship certainly isn?óÔé¼Ôäót over ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ although I have to admit that days like today don?óÔé¼Ôäót help. The good thing is that Jenson scored a nice lot of points for us.
2010 Italian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Italian Grand Prix
- Jamey Price watches the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Hamilton: “I could have done some passing”
- Sutil: “I was in the wrong place everywhere”
- H?â??lkenberg’s drive “his best to date”
- 2010 Italian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Late scare with de la Rosa can’t keep Alonso from victory (Ferrari race review)
- Set-up gamble pays off for Button as Hamilton crashes (McLaren race review)
- Vettel recovers to surprise fourth after mid-race drama (Red Bull race review)