Toro Rosso posted their fifth zero in a row but Sebastien Buemi made encouraging noises about their car development.
|Sebastien Buemi||Jaime Alguersuari|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’23.681 (-0.238)||1’23.919|
|Average race lap||1’27.729 (-1.848)||1’29.577|
Tested the F-duct in practice and although they subsequently removed it from their cars the STR05s were the quickest thing in a straight line at Monza. Buemi qualified 14th ahead of his team mate.
He ran tenth early on but lost a potential points finish when Rubens Barrichello got ahead of him through the pit stops.
Nonetheless he was encouraged by the developments on the car:
It was a positive performance, but a bit frustrating to miss out on the points. I lost some time around the pit stop, maybe we did it a bit early and I came out behind Barrichello.
That was partly because the Lotus and Virgin I caught before the pit stop did not move over very quickly and I lost more time there. I was much faster than him from then on with the hard tyres, but it is very difficult to overtake and I could not find a way past.
But all in all, I am pleased with the performance of the car over the weekend, which was a definite improvement over the last few races and I am looking forward to more developments and getting the F-duct working so that maybe we can have it on the car for Singapore.
If we continue like this I hope to be able to fight fair and square with the Williams and Mercedes in the final races.
Alguersuari used the team’s F-duct to set the fastest straight-line speed in qualifying – 348.7kph (216.6mph).
But he could only manage 16th on the grid before being promoted one place by Vitaly Petrov’s penalty.
He cut the chicane at the start of the race and the stewards decided he’d gained an advantage. His subsequent penalty – his second in as many races – ended any hopes of a points finish.
2010 Italian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Italian Grand Prix
- Jamey Price watches the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Hamilton: “I could have done some passing”
- Sutil: “I was in the wrong place everywhere”
- Hülkenberg’s drive “his best to date”
- 2010 Italian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Late scare with de la Rosa can’t keep Alonso from victory (Ferrari race review)
- Set-up gamble pays off for Button as Hamilton crashes (McLaren race review)
- Vettel recovers to surprise fourth after mid-race drama (Red Bull race review)