Sebastian Vettel bounced back from a mysterious car problem early in the race to claim fourth place by pitting on the final lap.
Team mate Mark Webber further added to the team’s constructors’ championship lead with sixth place and put himself back in the lead of the drivers’ championship.
|Sebastian Vettel||Mark Webber|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q3)||1’22.675 (+0.242)||1’22.433|
|Average race lap||1’27.033 (-0.058)||1’27.091|
Vettel was fastest in second practice but could only manage sixth on the grid – his worst starting position of the year. The qualifying speed trap showed he had only the 16th highest top speed.
He slipped behind Michael Schumacher at the start but re-passed him at the first Lesmo on lap one.
But Vettel took it back by gambling on delaying his mandatory pit stop until the final lap of the race. He kept his soft tyres alive for an impressive 51 laps allowing him to move up to and hold fourth place.
Webber lost practice time when his car stopped in the second and third sessions. Despite that he out-qualified his team mate, taking fourth on the grid.
But he slipped to ninth at the start and had to fight his way past Schumacher for eighth on lap five. That became seventh after Vettel’s problem.
He spent several laps trying to pass Nico H?â??lkenberg, becoming increasingly frustrated at the Williams driver’s chicane-cutting and complaining about it on the radio.
He eventually passed H?â??lkenberg but had no time left to chase down Rosberg and was jumped by his team mate in the pit stops. Despite a frustrating race he finds himself back in the lead of the drivers’ championship.
2010 Italian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Italian Grand Prix
- Jamey Price watches the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Hamilton: “I could have done some passing”
- Sutil: “I was in the wrong place everywhere”
- H?â??lkenberg’s drive “his best to date”
- 2010 Italian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Late scare with de la Rosa can’t keep Alonso from victory (Ferrari race review)
- Set-up gamble pays off for Button as Hamilton crashes (McLaren race review)
- Vettel recovers to surprise fourth after mid-race drama (Red Bull race review)
Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others