Lewis Hamilton think his low-downforce set-up for the Italian Grand Prix might have paid off had he not crashed out on the first lap of the race.
Writing on his official website he said:
You can look at the numbers forever, but, at some point, you?óÔé¼Ôäóve just got to get in the car and drive it. After qualifying, maybe I felt it wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót the right way to go, but we had a look at how the race could have gone, and there were definitely some positives.
Mainly, I needed less fuel than the high-downforce cars, because I was carrying less drag, and, most importantly, I had the potential to pick off cars on the straights, because of my top-speed advantage.
That wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót guaranteed, of course, because we didn?óÔé¼Ôäót get to see how the car would be affected in the slipstream through the corners, but we saw in the race that it was pretty much a stalemate out there. I?óÔé¼Ôäód like to think that if I?óÔé¼Ôäód stayed in the race, I could have done some passing.
He added he’s put his collision with Massa behind him and is ready to move on to the next race at Singapore next week:
It?óÔé¼Ôäós one of those experiences that happens in motor racing sometimes. It?óÔé¼Ôäós always so disappointing, because your adrenalin is really flowing and then, immediately, it gets cut short right when you?óÔé¼Ôäóre in the heat of battle.
But, like I say, these things happen ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ it?óÔé¼Ôäós not the first time my race has ended on the first lap, and it probably won?óÔé¼Ôäót be the last, unfortunately.
In bad situations ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ and they?óÔé¼Ôäóve happened to me before in my career ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ you need to soak up all the lessons that need learning. You absorb that information, put the bad experience to one side, use the benefits and just move on.
I got up on Monday morning and I was already focused on the next race, improving the car, and closing in on the world championship. You can?óÔé¼Ôäót dwell on the negatives ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ we are still in a good position, and we need to capitalise on that.
2010 Italian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Italian Grand Prix
- Jamey Price watches the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Hamilton: “I could have done some passing”
- Sutil: “I was in the wrong place everywhere”
- H?â??lkenberg’s drive “his best to date”
- 2010 Italian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Late scare with de la Rosa can’t keep Alonso from victory (Ferrari race review)
- Set-up gamble pays off for Button as Hamilton crashes (McLaren race review)
- Vettel recovers to surprise fourth after mid-race drama (Red Bull race review)