Senna film set for June 2011 UK release

“Senna”, the documentary film about the life of Ayrton Senna, will be released in June 2011 in the UK.

The film opens in Japan next month to coincide with the Japanese Grand Prix. It is being screened at Suzuka on the weekend of the race.

The earlier release date for the Japanese market reflects the continued popularity of Senna in Japan.

Two foreign-language trailers for the film have appeared so far:

Senna movie

Browse all articles on the Senna movie

33 comments on Senna film set for June 2011 UK release

1. Jonathan Noble said in Twitter that “It will be shown in England only in July 2011″

link: http://twitter.com/NobleF1/statuses/24667167337

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 16th September 2010, 15:40

I don’t know what his source is, but I called the people who made the film and they said June. And they said UK, rather than just England. Apparently it was decided yesterday.

• Strange there is such a long period between first show in Japan and the UK. You would imagine the movie to be downloadable way before christmas.

Or are they expecting this will only make fans go to the theaters even more?

Did you get any idea of their strategy in this Keith?

• I don’t know what his source is…

A guy from TV Globo — therefore, not a reliable source, I would say…

2. For sure I will get a DVD of this one, will it be released in English?

3. letgonow said on 16th September 2010, 15:44

Any word on a US release??

4. I thought it would bge out much sooner than that. Allen wrote on his blog a while back that it would be released in the Autumn of this year but he didn’t say just in Japan! :( :P Sure it will be more than worth theb wait mind.

5. Will it ever release in India?

6. daykind said on 16th September 2010, 20:43

What? I thought Top Gear said it would be released in the Autumn!

7. Metrium (@metrium) said on 16th September 2010, 21:44

Looking forward to seeing some F1 on the big screen!

8. I’m waiting for the definition of the release date here at Portugal. He had an house here at Portugal and was fan of Belenenses, a football club in Lisbon. We should be one of the first countries, after all.

• Hamish said on 17th September 2010, 0:54

Hate to break it to you pal, but I don’t see Portugal getting any special treatment.

• It just might, as Brazzilians speak portuguese as well. So a portuguese version is sure to be published quit early and could reach portugal as well.

• Maria P said on 18th March 2011, 14:48

I don’t think those would be the major reasons for Senna’s release in Portugal.
        I guess the fact that GP 1985 Estoril was his first win in F1 is important enough.
        If you can remember it was the first time lotus’ cars would be tested in the wet… a fantastic win, not bad for young 25 year old Ayrton Senna on his 2nd season.
        Hate to break you pal, but it was surely a memorable GP.

9. Thats pretty annoying…..

oh well..

will it be released in the cinema or just on DVD?

10. Brazilian release: november 2010 to coincide with Brazilian GP.

I hope they dont associate the release to the november 2nd holiday – a kind of Day of the dead in BRazil, somehow equivalent to the october 30th in some countries.

btw, some brazilian media are comparing this year’s 5 aces to Senna, Prost, Mansell, Piquet, Schumacher. (respectively Hamilton, Button, Webber, Alonso, Vettel). Counting on no premature retirement 2010-2020 champ’s promise some good races – If Bernie help it.

11. The cinemas here in Hungary will not show the film here, only DVD release in 2011 will be avaiable. :(

12. giorgosrallyman said on 20th September 2010, 10:06

What about my country, Greece? Is there any chance for this film to be released here? I desperately hope..:(

13. sebaoun said on 26th September 2010, 9:57

Hello,

What about my country, FRANCE ? Is there any chance for this film to be released here? I desperately hope..;

14. Although it’s a long time coming, I’d say they’re aiming to release it in the UK to coincide with the British GP on the 8th-10th July.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t negotiating a deal to show it after the GP Party in the same way they put the football on this year.

How do you think the film would be received outside of the motorsport fan community? For example, I don’t think I would be rushing to see a documentary on Pele, yet I’m sure some of my football mad friends would.

15. i will deffinently be wanting this as i love ayrton senna he was one of my favourite formula one drivers of al times and in my eyes will always be even if i do support micheal schumacher lewis hamilton jenson button sabastian vettel and mark webber now i dont like fernando alonso