A dreadful start for Adrian Sutil saw him fall from 11th to last on the first lap at Monza.
I was just in the wrong place everywhere! The start was not particularly good, and in the first corner I think it was Rubens Barrichello who went a bit wide, and I had to react to avoid an accident. I was already somewhere outside, trying to do the chicane.
I lost three positions and didn’t have a good exit out of the corner into the other chicane, and lost another two positions there. Then I went off the circuit at Parabolica when I was on the outside of Tonio.
The race was nearly over, as I was behind everybody. I did one more lap and came into the pits. The tyres were OK, but as I had to overtake all the slower cars we thought it was better to get the stop out of the way and get some free air and try a whole race on the hard set.
He added he wasn’t sure how he damaged his front wing later on in the race, forcing an extra pit stop:
[The strategy] worked quite well in the beginning, but in the middle the laps times didn’t really look too competitive anymore. I planned to stay out, and then I damaged my front wing a little bit.
I was really close behind Pedro de la Rosa, but whether it was a kerb or I just hit him slightly, I don’t know. Anyway it was my mistake, I was just a bit late on the brakes there.
We changed to another set of soft tyres, and we had some quite good lap times in the end.
2010 Italian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Italian Grand Prix
- Jamey Price watches the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Hamilton: “I could have done some passing”
- Sutil: “I was in the wrong place everywhere”
- Hülkenberg’s drive “his best to date”
- 2010 Italian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Late scare with de la Rosa can’t keep Alonso from victory (Ferrari race review)
- Set-up gamble pays off for Button as Hamilton crashes (McLaren race review)
- Vettel recovers to surprise fourth after mid-race drama (Red Bull race review)