Should Schumacher quit in 2011? (Poll)

Speculation surrounds the future of Michael Schumacher in Formula 1.

Officially, his contract at Mercedes runs on into 2011. But after a bruising comeback season, in which he’s been out-scored by team mate Nico Rosberg 112-46, will he want to?

Pro

The explanation for Schumacher’s difficulties this season begin with the shortcomings of the W01. Fundamental problems relating to its weight distribution and tyre use, which despite the team’s efforts cannot be fixed mid-season, have kept it from being the contenders its predecessor was.

Then there are Schumacher’s particular problems: his late arrival to the team meant he had no input during the car’s early development; the move to smaller-width front tyres this year which are ill-suited to his driving style; his inability to conduct the prodigious amount of in-season testing as he did during his championship years.

With Pirelli replacing Bridgestone next year the reset button will be pressed and everyone will be back to square one. And this time he’ll have been involved in the development of the car from a much earlier stage.

It will be a chance for Schumacher to get back on level terms with his rivals. Unless he scores some remarkable result in the last five races of the year, he should seize the opportunity to salvage something from his comeback.

Con

Formula 1 has changed so much in the short space of time between Schumacher’s last appearance and his comeback that you have to question whether he ever could attain the same level of form he did in the early 2000s.

Without near-bespoke tyres, without tens of thousands of kilometres of testing and without a team mate bending over backwards on demand, Schumacher isn’t going to be able to re-create his Ferrari experience in silver at Mercedes.

Another season of failure would only harm his reputation further. Better to call it quits now.

Read more: Compare Michael Schumacher’s form against his team mate

I say

He's still popular at Monza

He's still popular at Monza

We know he’s far better than he looks right now.

The Schumacher that struggled woefully in the rain at Shanghai this year is the same man who danced around it in similar conditions on his way to his 91st career win only four years ago.

Painful though it may be, I think Schumacher has to take the long-term view and write 2010 off as a preparation year for 2011.

There are good reasons to expect next year will be better and, assuming he’s happy with his physical condition, for the sake of his reputation he’s got to stick with it.

Update: Schumacher back on bikes at Sachsenring

You say

Do you think Schumacher should quit in 2011? Cast your vote and have your say below.

Should Michael Schumacher quit in 2011?

• No (70%)

Total Voters: 3,533

Loading ... Loading ...

Read more: 2011 F1 drivers and teams

Images ?é?® Mercedes

225 comments on Should Schumacher quit in 2011? (Poll)

1 2 3 7
  1. Rob Haswell said on 21st September 2010, 9:32

I’d rather Schuey was out so someone better and more interesting can take his seat. At the moment he’s just a waste of a good Mercedes, and a liability on the track. If F1 wants to see more overtaking he should be the first to go.

• GWBridge said on 21st September 2010, 12:32

I agree. All the same arguments pro and con follow. First it was three races to get the rust off, and now they are saying he needs a season and a completely new car. At this point, Rosberg has scored nearly three times as many points in the same car under identical race conditions. Whatever Schumacher was, Rosberg is a far superior driver in the present day. Let’s all try to come to grips with reality. Please.

• Patrickl said on 21st September 2010, 13:40

Indeed. People keep harping on about how good Schumache once was, but obviously he’s not that good anymore.

• Bobby_B said on 21st September 2010, 14:48

I agree totally.
        Formula One has moved on leaps and bounds since Schumacher last reigned supreme, we can’t keep harping back to the past and his past glories.

The cars are different, the world has changed, the competition is now more fierce than previous years, and the younger drivers are just not intimidated by Schuy any more, in fact they all seem to relish an opportunity to measure themselves against Michael Schumacher.

Lets face it Schumacher and Rosberg both started on a complete clean sheet being new to the Mercedes Team going into this season and Rosberg has shown Schuy the way to go.

I’m pretty sure Michael’s ego is hurting a little, every interview he gives – there’s a pained expression on his face as if he doesn’t really want to be there answering obvious questions.

I think his heart is saying keep ongoing but his head is saying stop now before your hurt yourself even more . . . It will be interesting to see what decision he comes to. My guess is like all old Champs his ego will get the better of him . . .

• I agree with most of that, but I don’t think they started on the same ‘clean sheet’.

Rosberg is young (more fit) and was still racing and training in the years shumi was gone. The only advantage Shumi has is his past, which you explain is somewhat irrelevant with the way F1 has changed. I’m not totally suprised that Rosberg is beating Shumi and I think that Shumi will want to stay to help develop the car and try to at least show he can match or beat Rosberg….

• If the past is “irrelevant” then Schumi didn’t deserve a place in a drivers seat – if its so “irrelevant” on what basis did he earn his seat?

• David BR said on 21st September 2010, 14:25

I suppose it’s the only plausible reason to oppose someone driving who wants to drive and who the team wants to drive, i.e. the team are wrong and should be backing a better driver. I think Rosberg has been better than Schu. But are there really many better than Rosberg? Vettel, Alonso, Ham, Kubica, I guess, but after that? If Rosberg is about the best they’re going to get, why not let Schumacher in the other car? His experience is valuable. And I have to admit to a bit of schadenfreude too… :0)
      What he dis to Barrichello was bad, but seeing him tussle and squirm for 8th place or whatever is entertaining.

• GWbridge said on 21st September 2010, 19:58

Rosberg has beaten the former 7-time WDC, but is Schumacher really the gold standard anymore? It makes one wonder what Rosberg could do compared to Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Kubica and others with equal equipment. Maybe he’s much better than people give him credit for. Aside from whatever his outright speed might be, he does seem to keep the car on the track, is consistent, and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. So, Schumacher’s adventure has mainly served to demonstrate how good Rosberg may be.

• Rosberg was similar to Mark Webber’s pace at Williams. So I guess that means he would have a similar pace to Vettel and Heidfeld.

• All the Schumacher haters are the FIRST to post everytime when the article concerns the Champion of Champions,it is the usual British vitriliocism -highly embarrassing to see and read.The same names come up time and time again.They read like a book.

I am glad I have decided not to post anymore on this forum.I for one cannot stand the hate message.

• So true Diana, so true.

• Dianna

I’s not a matter of hating Michael Schumacher. All he’s shown this season is that he can be beaten by an also-ran, Rosberg, and that he is still prepared to cause serious injury, Barrichello, to get his own way.

No hate, Luv.

• Christian said on 22nd September 2010, 2:42

Enough of the spin, Leslie. It gets boring.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 22nd September 2010, 15:53

How are we so sure that Rosberg is an also ran? You look to have wildly under-estimated him.

• Leslie, don’t be daft.

Rosberg is no also ran, if nothing else then Singapore last year proved that to people.

“and that he is still prepared to cause serious injury”
          … Your joking right? Do you actually believe he would?…

Diana: There will always be Schumacher lovers (Us) and Schumacher haters (Them), But attributing that to the British is A) Naive, and B) counter productive.

• wow, thanks Dianna for that fact-based argument. I totally see how I’m wrong now.

All of the arguments about him being well and truly outclassed by his teammate and making silly errors and dangerous moves are totally immaterial next to your hughly convincing argument.

(sarcasm)

(and no, I’m not British).

Face it, he doesn’t seem to have ‘it’ anymore, and worse, it doesn’t really seem as if the rust is flaking away as the season continues.

Thats not taking anything away from his past achievements, but by the same token those past achievements do not give him immunity from criticism about his current performances.

Please, rather than just dismissing people as haters of the “Champion of champions”, why not give us some kind of argument as to why he should stay. Otherwise you are just as bad as those ‘haters’ you claim are all over this site.

• Well, It’s very easy to answer why he should stay, Because he seems to be enjoying it. I think your making an assumption that the question is refering to whether Mercedes should keep him. Or whether he is showing the ability that is required of an F1 driver.
          And then obviously we could debate for hours.

But I don’t think even you could dispute that he is good for the sport. None of my friends like the sport, any time I mention F1 they all roll their eyes and gain a particular eyes glazed over look (which is quite unnerving when they do it all at the same time…) But if I say “Mickey Shoemaker” they all know who I mean… And for me, that far reaching awareness is what F1 does in fact need in order to grow. So for the sport, no doubt he is an asset.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd September 2010, 7:50

Dianna – you’ll find this site (and any other site, I should imagine) a more worthwhile experience if, instead of complaining that other people don’t share your view and making simplistic assumption based on their nationality, explaining why you disagree.

• Dianna , I agree , but at the same time it can be expected with the huge success Schu. has had – his haters will always get in a bit harder whenever they get a chance. So don’t let them stop you from writing , the more opposition they get the better. My opinion , if Schu stopped end of 2010 , think about it , like watching an interesting movie halfway , then walking out …. just not right. He has to at least see 2011 through , with the new tyres and his involvement in next years car , if he cannot at least beat Rosberg , then the question would have been answered. End of story. But my guess is , he will beat Rosberg next year , and maybe even challenge for the championship.

• I agree, hes old and been around for so long and hes just not that intnersting, his driving has looked way too defensive, and really he hasnt progressed much, he tends to drop back in races, i wonder if hes really that hungry or just bored and trying to fill his life again.

• haha, good mercedes :p… good good mercedes. tell ya what, if schuey was in for vettel, he’ll be leading the championship by now.

• Macca77 said on 22nd September 2010, 15:22

IMO, everything you say on your post is completely wrong. My guess is that the first season you watched F1 was 2007 (maybe 2010 ?) and you think Hamilton is the best driver in F1 history ? If my guessing is right, I would tell you that before 2007 and since 1994 approx Schumacher was by far Formula’s 1 most famous driver, every fight for the title was between him and someone else, from the clashes with Senna till the fights with Alonso.
      You say Schumi should quit so “Better and more interesting” can replace him? there is NO ONE that fills both characteristics in the world today.
      “liability on the track” ? tell that to Webber, Hamilton, Alonso, Kubica, Liuzzi, Alguersari, Vettel, etc… countless times some of these drivers have been involved in dangerous racing behaviors… when F1 was a MEN sport the ones like Schumacher were fighting for a position the way he did with Barichello’s last time, unlike the drivers I mentioned before HE DID NOT made Barichello to end in a barrier or with parts of his car broken, but my guess is you don’t know anything about Mansell, Senna or even Juan Pablo Montoya, great drivers like Schumacher that weren’t joking fighting for a position and knew how much exactly was too much (JPM crossed that line a lot of times though but I prefer him to the idiots that make cars crash from today).
      “If F1 wants to see more overtaking he should be the first to go.” that sentence is just false in every sense, again hoping the guess I made at the beginning of my post is right (that your first season you watched was 2007), I would tell you that Schumacher and perhaps Hamilton are the ONLY remaining hopes for F1 to see more overtaking. I usually don’t comment on this articles, but your post is so extremely wrong, that I had to post something. Please read the article before you post, Keith knows what he is talking about, unlike you.

• GWBridge said on 23rd September 2010, 0:08

Many of us who (like you and I) didn’t start following F1 in 2007, recall that when Schumacher was at his peak, F1 was about as boring to watch as things like paint drying and grass growing. Schumacher may have been the orders of magnitude better than every other driver, but when one driver wins race after race after race, it’s natural to question how level the playing field was. He had a chassis designed for him alone. He had his own tire company. He had his own FIA. Now, Schumacher’s back and he’s older, and he can’t match Rosberg’s performance. He’s a washed up fish out of water, an anachronism, and he’s largely irrelevant. He’s not the only hope for F1. Let’s move on.

2. Staffan said on 21st September 2010, 9:35

Neh, give him 2011, if the car sucks then he should grab a thinker if he want to stay with them or maby change theme. Or if his happiness is low, leave the sport.

3. I think it is a forgetable come back( a bit like Michael Jordan’s last come back)and it won’t hurt Schumacher in the long term if he leaves at the end of the year. Sometimes, one should simply call it quits, and let a younger man take a valuable seat.

• Mansell is still seen as a great driver, and he had a bad comeback, wheras Niki Lauda and Alain Prost won titles during their second stints in F1, just give Micheal time, I wouldn’t bet against him if he had a decent car in 2011 for the title, but it won’t blot his acheivement in the Sport if he can’t acheive. Put it this way, most people already have an opinion on Schumacher already, whether that be legend or cheat. The Mercedes drive will not change people’s opinions!

• Very astute observation :)

• Bobby_B said on 22nd September 2010, 11:42

Michael Schumacher is definitely still a great driver, I have watched him race many times and he would put the car where others would never dare – but that fire appears to be gone. He is most definitely part of the illustrious group you mention. But I’m just not sure he is enjoying himself !

Half of the fun of racing is the enjoyment he gets from it, and he said so himself when he retired, that he would stop if he wasn’t enjoying the challenge anymore.

When you watch his body language and the way he approaches the press, he is not in a good place with himself.

I’m not sure that a better car next year will provide that stimulus to bring the fun back that he so craved when he decided to make a come back, especially with the current fierce competition of engineering excellence and increasing experience of the younger hungrier drivers . . .

• I doubt the fire is gone, if it was, The Rubens nor the Monaco incidents would have happened… He wouldn’t be making so many places from the stay and he wouldn’t be defending like his life depends on it…

The Fire is there, he just can’t find the pace.

• Staffan said on 21st September 2010, 11:20

Chandhok would be nice.

• If Kimi takes his seat, then yeah he shld quit. :-D
        I dunno if it is just me, or has Schumacher really been a bully like, on the track. He, for some reason does not respect other drivers on the track, and also during interviews I often find him replying like a celebrity rather than a racing driver.

It could be just me, but I dunno.

4. This will seem unbelievably petty, but I hope he stays for one reason: I’m enjoying seeing him embarrass himself.

Another reason would be this. I want to see him at his best so the current crop can beat him then, too.

I’m not a Schumacher fan…did that come across?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 21st September 2010, 9:43

Ah, the schadenfreude factor…

• Sush Meerkat said on 21st September 2010, 10:08

me and my friends have a drinking game whereby we have a drink whenever Nico outperforms his team mate, or if Schuey burns out his tyres, or when someone mentions the car doesn’t suit his driving style, or he does something silly like try to ram someone off the road.

Needless to say we’re normally sozzled during F1 weekends now.

We did the same last year with Buttons “lack of grip”.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 21st September 2010, 10:38

That sounds like a good game! I wish I had friends that were into F1… Looks like I am moving to England! But I too would like Schumi to go for another year. Rosberg is obviously very fast and even he can’t manage to win in that car so I can’t blame Michael. Next year he should be up to speed and Mercedes will have recovered from the success of 2009.

• haha, nice…

If you drank every time Massa said ‘for sure’, you’ll probably be in hospital by now ;)

.. what do you think Felipe? : ‘for sure!’

• haha for sure you should have a drink every time lewis says “fantastic”

or 10 if vettel gestures with his hand ‘#1′ post quali

• Chippie (@chippie) said on 21st September 2010, 12:50

Couldn’t agree with you more, for years I insisted that Schumacher was an above average racing driver, I’m enjoying his pain, and I’m not ashamed of it one bit. He doesn’t deserve 7 world championships due to the fact that he is a narcissistic cheater and a shame to the sport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKbGW7OmVg lest we forget.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 21st September 2010, 21:29

If you’re going top waste time claiming he didn’t deserve 7 titles, then everyone else can lecture you on how he easily “could’ve” won more than 7 championships.

As for now, I feel that so long as Mercedes feel like having him in the car, then he should stay. I don’t think he’ll come close to winning another title, but he should be able to do better than he is at the moment.

• I share the same sentiment as Chris. I was always hoping to see Schumacher battle against the new breed of drivers, and this year he decided to take that challenge on.

Personally, every time Schumi makes a Q2 exit, or pulls some ridiculously embarrassing moves on track, I have the widest smile on my face. I would like to enjoy this feeling for another year. So i voted for him to stay on another season.

• Michael who?…..oooohh…the new guy at Mercedes.Naaahh,I’m not very impressed with him so, I voted yes, please leave.

• Christian said on 22nd September 2010, 2:49

I think this sums up McLaren fans pretty well.

5. daykind said on 21st September 2010, 9:38

Mercedes have started develoiping for 2011, so should have a good car next year. I think he could be winning races next year with a good car.

• Depends really doesn’t it. Obviously there car this yeear was badly designed but the Brackley team had produced a collection of total dogs in the years proceding the BGP-01.

• Patrickl said on 21st September 2010, 13:45

Wurz said that the Brawn GP01 was develeoped by 3 different teams. Who each developed their own car with their own windtunnels.

The design that eventually won was either from the Super Aguri team or the Dome team. Forgot which one, but the point is … it was not from the Brackley based Honda team.

So in fact one could say that they never designed a good car.

When they got their hands on it it went downhill. The Brawn GP01 only lost out mor and more as the season went on. Much the same as we have seen with Mercedes this year.

• bosyber said on 21st September 2010, 20:58

So that makes it easy for Mercedes: find out what team did the BGP01, and replace some of the W01 people with them, presto, a winning car!

It probably was a set of factors coming together though that gave us last years champions, and it won’t be repeatable.

• Rubbish Dave said on 21st September 2010, 23:29

Indeed – It’s rather telling that both drivers didn’t stay with a team that had been that dominant. Almost like they had no faith in the team to produce another similar car in the next few years.

Mercedes bought the wrong team.

6. I hope he doesn’t retire. As you say in the article, we know he’s much better than what he looks like at the moment. If he does bend the development of the W02 to his liking he will be competing for podiums next year just like Rosberg did this season.

7. Nathan Bradley said on 21st September 2010, 9:41

No, he should not quit. We are, as Keith says, aware that he is 7 million times better than he is performing now (slight overstatement.)

Besides, I believe anybody would need a year to return to form after a three year break.

If however, the situation is the same about 6 races into next season, then I’m afraid I will be calling for him to go.

Nathan

• “We are, as Keith says, aware that he is 7 million times better than he is performing now.”

Replace ‘is’ with ‘was’ and I’m with you. He’s simply too old nowadays to be successful with such a croft of fast young drivers.

He’s too old to drive without TC. Should we get Stirling moss back in an F1 car? No. At what point is someone too old? Round about now for Schumacher.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 22nd September 2010, 7:50

Gotta disagree with Keith and Nathan. He really isn’t much better than his current performances. Maybe he will fare a little better when the car is designed around him… but .. he will still get beaten by Rosberg on a regular basis. And IMO he is a below average driver compared to the new breed of racers

8. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 21st September 2010, 9:43

No. He should give 2011 a go, but if that goes poorly I can see him walking out mid season. It isn’t Schumacher’s style to just quit before the jobs done but I think if he feels that he can’t do the job he wants then he’ll be the first person to admit it and walk away.

• I agree, he should continue.

From the start he has taken this year as something of a preparation year for the real thing (sure, he nobody did really believe it would be this bad). The car was completely defined and almost finished when he came.

I think he is already taking this as a learning experience and making miles on track to learn about the tracks and test parts.
      What does he have to win by quitting now?
      The nay-sayers will be proven to have been right, the fans will feel disappointed and his cheat legacy will not have changed much for the better.

If he goes on, he can help Mercedes get back to the fore. The car will certainly fit him better next year and he will know more of what to expect from the tracks and tyres. He can win some races, or even the WDC if they get it right.
      And even if Rosberg beats him, he can still take credit for helping Mercedes build the winning team and still take some wins home to make it a happy end.

• And there is no better driver for bringing a team to the fore. His knowledge, experience, drive, commitment, feedback and input.. you’d want him in your team if you’re going to develop a car capable of winning races and championships.. who else is there that can even compare?

9. Yes and no,

The question is should he quit in 2011?

A: No

He should quit in November 2010.

I answered Yes in the pole anyway.

10. I think we’re all guilty of knee-jerk reaction to the Schumacher issue. Take a look at all of those who have either returned to the cockpit this year (Massa, De la Rosa, Yamamoto) or are rookies (Petrov, Hulkenberg, Di Grassi, Senna, Chandhok and to a lesser degree, Kobayashi). Discounting Kobayashi, who I think has really impressed, none of them have particularly dazzled, all have been inconsistnet and all have been way overshadowed by their team mate. Schumacher, however, has been right on the pace of Rosberg (who, I think we’d all agree, is one of the fastest out there) – pretty much all of the time.

It seems to me that the current cars are just hard to master – compared to Hamilton jumping into a McLaren and being instantly competitive or even Shumacher himself being instantly competitive back when he started out in the 90s.

• And Hamilton had quite some testing milage before the season kicked off.

• Thats just a bunch of excuses. Schumacher has more F1 track time than 95% of the drivers on the grid. To classify a 7 time world champ in the ‘rookie’ category is just ridiculous.

Schumacher has been on pace with Rosberg??? Have you seen any races this year?

• I agree he has more track time over his career, but I’m arguing that it’s irrelevant because these cars are just so different!

• Cars have evolved since dramatically since 1991. And no one has seens more changes in cars than Schumi himself. He was the only driver present in the no refuelling era. He was also around when there was no traction control, just as cars are today.
          The last couple of years have seen the cars change a lot, and all the drivers have been re adjusting as well. The really good drivers just manage to adapt quicker.

• Todfod, if your suggesting Schumacher isn’t a “really good driver” you are going to have trouble arguing it, you can’t discount what he has achieved. Likewise, I must admit that he is struggling in comparison with the majorities view prior to this season.

Yet, Schumacher has clearly been on Rosberg’s pace, Shanghai was a serious low for him, but with every race he is getting quicker, look at Spa for example, In the end. this is Schumacher’s last chance in F1. If he leaves now, he won’t be allowed to come back again, not for a remotely good team anyway. I think he is an intelligent person, and must realise this, I doubt he will leave by choice, and I think it would be to formula ones detriment if he did. Even you must admit this.

• That’s like arguing that Linford Christie could win again after 3 years sitting out.

I read about an athlete who’s coach said about their training, that ‘if you miss a day, you lose a week, if you miss a week, you loose a month, if you miss a month, you lose a year.’

Based on that, you’d be sure that Schumacher wouldn’t be at the top of his game for some time coming in to the season.

Incidentally, I heard he doesn’t like simulators as they make him ill. Well that an obvious disadvantage.

11. codesurge said on 21st September 2010, 9:50

I personally think that Schumacher is comfortable enough with his own image to not have to worry about any damage to his legacy from a failed comeback. If he believes that he still has the impeccable work ethic, competitive fire and the desire to win, then he should ignore the naysayers and stick around for 2011.

12. Einar AI said on 21st September 2010, 9:54

Difficult to judge him at the moment. If he wasn’t Michael Schumacher, who swept the field aside in the early noughties, I’m sure our opinion of him would have been rather more appreciative. To be honest, having jumped into a F1 seat of a car that has undergone monumental changes since 2006, Michael must have no easier time adapting than any of the current rookies. In this light, let us, for one, compare the performances of Schumacher and Petrov.

Both drive decent cars and are outscored by impressive team-mates. However, Merc car is no better than a Renault, and Michael is doing far better than Petrov. And if we’re saying that Petrov has done more than enough to keep his 2011 F1 seat; the same can be said about Michael. In fact if Michael was a rookie, he’d surely be praised as one of the better rookies this year. Problem is, he’s not quite a rookie.

But on the other hand, much of his technical experience from the previous years cannot be smoothly applied to the current F1 technology. The jump from understand a 2006 F1 Ferrari to 2010 Mercedes must be no less challenging than a jump from GP2 to F1. In this light, Michael must feel quite a rookie, in technical terms. This was exposed most vividly in changing conditions, when, of course, his knowledge of the tyres, car behavior, etc was quite irrelevant.

Hence, I don’t think we should judge Schumacher too harshly. I’m not saying he’ll become a flying rocket in 2011 – I don’t think he’ll ever be at the top again – but he adds enough spice at some races and I enjoy seeing him on my tv screen. F1 audiences need him and he can stay as long as he does some reasonable driving.

• See my post above – great minds think alike

• I get your point, but teams put up with rookies because, well, they are rookies. Meaning : young, and sometimes full of promises (Hulk and Petrov per instance). Schumacher has maybe two years left in him, tops.

• Einar AI said on 21st September 2010, 19:03

Haha GR good point. We do think alike. Tango – agree with you, Schu has max 2-3 years in him – but he is no rookie and once he figures the new cars in maybe 1-2 years, he’ll be able to challenge for victories imho. Though I doubt he’ll fight at the very top.

Rookies need to grow up both technically and psychologically (e.g. Vettel), and as I believe Schumacher is already a psychologically mature racer (well that Barrichello assasination attempt aside), he needs time to just understand the new cars. Mercedes can give him that time and then it will be up to him to perform in 2011 or 2012. He’s doing a decent job which quite satisfies me as a spectator.

13. I think you said it all there Keith : “With Pirelli replacing Bridgestone next year the reset button will be pressed and everyone will be back to square one”
    And I also agree with Dan Thron’s very pragmatic view…

14. Sorry :( Dan Thorn I meant, apologies…

15. there’s no way he’ll be able to recreate his Ferrari days, and people shouldn’t be expecting that in the first place..I have a modest hope that he’ll be able to mix it with the frontrunners and show his formidable driving skills instead of his championship-winning skills

and still..41 years of age is a lot, it was a lot even in the 60s and 70s