Klien takes Yamamoto’s place at HRT

Christian Klien, HRT, Valencia, 2010

Christian Klien will return to F1 action this weekend in place of Sakon Yamamoto at HRT.

Team principal Colin Kolles explained the reason for the 11th-hour change:

It looks as if Sakon Yamamoto has a food poisoning, and he doesn’t feel well. Because of this, Christian Klien will be driving the car this Friday and the rest of the Singapore Grand Prix. I hope Sakon gets well soon and is able to drive at his home Grand Prix in Japan.
Colin Kolles

However it may be significant that the team chose to put Klien, their other reserve driver, in the car instead of Karun Chandhok, who has started ten races for them this year.

Klien previously drove for the team in first practice for the Spanish and European Grands Prix. He will be the fourth driver to start a race for the team this year along with Yamamoto, Chandhok and Bruno Senna.

2010 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Singapore Grand Prix articles

43 comments on Klien takes Yamamoto’s place at HRT

1. Would’ve preferred to see Chandhok back into his racing seat..

2. Seriously? Food poisoning?

Is Karun Chandok going to get another run this year?

3. GeorgeTuk (@georgetuk) said on 24th September 2010, 10:18

Hurrah, about time he was given a chance, the only drive in the team with F1 experience is the last to have a go.

I don’t understand why that team operates the way it does but I hope it doesn’t go on next year (if they are still there that is!).

4. Alastair said on 24th September 2010, 10:21

Chandhocks results were actually pretty good, he’s consistent. I feel sorry for the guy to be honest.

5. I feel sorry for Chandok, because I really like him….. But I think Klien will show that the HRT is slightly faster than we all thought… And it’s about time they used him!

6. first they milked Karun, then Yakon, now Christian…

7. Alex Bkk said on 24th September 2010, 10:41

Yeah, I like Chandok too… Last season he was the only sensible and knowledgeable voice on the Star Sports F1 feed that we get in Asia.

8. Sush Meerkat said on 24th September 2010, 11:03

alright F1fanatics, own up, which of you sent Sakon the dodgy Food Hamper?

9. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 24th September 2010, 11:25

Klien might be of slightly more use than Yamamoto, but I’m not holding out hope for much else.

10. Does Sakon actually bring in money? Does anyone know of any Japanese HRT sponsers?
    Hard to fathom that Sakon has yen behind him and Kamui doesn’t!

11. Just thought I’d add my sentiment for Chandhok. Lovely guy, good driver, unfortunate circumstances. He deserves better.

12. It’s good to see that HRT provides chances for many drivers to drive, not sure if this is giving the trust a driver may need…

13. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th September 2010, 17:44

This from Adam Cooper on Twitter:

Sakon didn’t reply to my ‘get well soon’ SMS but a Japanese colleague says he’s in his hotel room and – allegedly – fully fit…

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 24th September 2010, 18:55

Very interesting indeed. The way that team operates is very peculiar. Maybe Epsilon or Villeneuve will take over for next year and there won’t be so many antics.

Also, Will Buxton had the best tweet on the matter:

An HRT press release is being handed out. What’s it going to be? Another new driver? Team been sold to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?

14. codesurge said on 24th September 2010, 18:29

I think it’s definitely not a premeditated change though. The sidepods of Klein’s car were bare for FP1 – they only added “Christian” on the side in time for FP2.

15. Looks like HRT is playing musical drivers again. If Yamamoto is “sick”, why is Karun not back in *his* seat?