Championship leader Mark Webber was fastest in first practice at Singapore.
The session started on a wet track and the championship contenders avoided the first hour of running as the track dried out, waiting until the later stages to set their first flying laps.
But despite the treacherous conditions all of the 24 drivers kept their cars out of the walls.
There were a few off-track moments for some drivers, including Timo Glock and Kamui Kobayashi. But even F1 debutant Jerome d’Ambrosio stayed out of trouble in his Virgin.
Webber snatched the fastest time with his last lap of the session, demoting Michael Schumacher from the top spot. The Mercedes driver logged 24 laps in his first session at Singapore.
Adrian Sutil moved up to third late in the session ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Jaime Alguersuari.
Felipe Massa was the only driver from the top three teams to go out early in the session when the track was at its wettest. His best time of 1’57.760 was set on intermediates while most other drivers used slicks for their final runs once the track had become dry enough.
|1||6||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1’54.589||10|
|3||14||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1’54.827||0.238||15|
|4||5||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1’55.137||0.548||12|
|5||17||Jaime Alguersuari||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’55.160||0.571||20|
|7||15||Vitantonio Liuzzi||Force India-Mercedes||1’55.510||0.921||15|
|8||16||Sebastien Buemi||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’55.523||0.934||15|
2010 Singapore Grand Prix
- Technical review: Singapore Grand Prix
- Webber: Ferrari have momentum (Video)
- Final tracks suit McLaren better – Button
- No change in my approach – Hamilton
- Williams expect to keep up with Renault
- 2010 Singapore Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Singapore Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Fourth win of 2010 is Alonso’s best yet (Ferrari race review)
- Poor pace and another Hamilton DNF hits title hopes (McLaren race review)
- Webber has champion’s luck but lacks Vettel’s pace (Red Bull race review)
Image © Red Bull/Getty images