Hamilton: Webber “in my blind spot”

Lewis Hamilton held back from blaming Mark Webber for the collision which put him out of the Singapore Grand Prix.

Speaking after the race he said:

He was in my blind spot, I didn’t even know he was still there.

I don’t know I’ll have to look at the video replay. Honestly I don’t even know what happened. I didn’t see anyone alongside me and the next thing I know my tyre’s blown and that’s it.
Lewis Hamilton

Having failed to score in three of the last four races, Hamilton has fallen to third in the championship.

Asked if he felt he could still win it he said:

I think its a tough call. There’s still four races to go but I couldn’t have expected a worse two races at this crucial point in the year.

I’ll do my best but hopefully either me or Jenson can do it.
Lewis Hamilton

Webber was able to finish the race despite the damage to his front-right wheel, and the stewards decided no penalty was in order.

Speaking in the press conference he compared the collision to Hamilton’s contact with Massa at Monza two weeks ago:

The contact was similar to what he had in Monza with Felipe. It could have easily been my front tyre that was damaged.
Mark Webber

2010 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Singapore Grand Prix articles

100 comments on Hamilton: Webber “in my blind spot”

1. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 26th September 2010, 17:16

Webber should have had a penalty. Yes, it’s racing, but Hamilton was ahead and turning in and it was Webber’s choice to keep on going and hit Hamilton. He’s entitled to race but it turned out it was too hard not to hit someone else.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 26th September 2010, 17:45

Actually having seen an onboard from Webber it was closer than I assumed. Obviously the stewards had that footage to and it’s why they chose not inflict punishment.

2. Im sure Webber, whilst in the lead of the world championship thought to himself, yea i reckon my front wheel will hold up against the back of hams car… im sure he chose to have an accident that could have jsut as easily put him out of the race…*please note sarcasm

3. Chris T said on 26th September 2010, 18:15

It was a stupid impatient move by Lewis that was not necessary, especially when there was so much at stake. He was attempting to overtake a car on the outside while he was on cold tyres so he was never going to be able to outbreak webber who had the inside line and tyres that were up to race pace. From the outside line Lewis was either going to brake early and hit turn into webber or brake late and overcook the corner.

To claim that you didn’t see or know the car that you were trying to overtake was there is plain rediculous, where else was it going to be? For future reference, when a car is in your “blind Spot”, ask yourself where that actually is. (Hint-its not in front of you and its not behind you)

• David Johnson said on 26th September 2010, 19:03

I reckon their tyres were both coolish as they were both behind a safety car ?

And it is probably ridiculous to expect a driver to anticipate another driver not braking behind out of his blind spot ? I think Alonso and Vettel were right when they hinted that fanboys and the press, place ridiculous and stupid expectations on drivers.

Overtaking=good…smashing in to the back of another car=bad.

• Exactly. Couldn’t agree more.

I believe LH today reacted just the way he did back in Japan’08. He should have matured by now.

BTW, It’s pretty obvious MW could not have disappeared, the laws of physics still apply.

To be honest, it was disappointing. Again.

4. Justinas M. said on 26th September 2010, 19:00

I must agree this time that there was equal chance of a puncture for WEB instead of HAM. But what annoys me the most is remembering what happened in Melbourne. How far can this go? One day one too-big-word-to-call-a-driver hits BUT while trying to overtake and eliminates him from race. One day earlier on another guy hits HAM at the back. And once again! Isn’t it too much from those superskilled RBR drivers?

I cannot even remember any other high-profile team hitting another one for 3 times in a season in clearly unnecessary situations. That is why people are angry and not because this kind of accident couldn’t happen for anyone else…

• Melbourne (almost 6 months ago…) was Webber careering into the back of Hamilton’s car, an incident which he acknowledged was his fault, and probably should have been penalised for. The other incident was Seb and Button and has no relevance to this crash at all.

This incident was two guys racing into a tight corner while not fully anticipating the lines the other driver was going to take into the corner (Webber assumed Lewis was running wider, Lewis assumed he had cleared Webber). Why would Lewis only leave a width slightly wider than a wheel width between him and the chicane otherwise? Had Lewis run a little bit wider he probably would have been re-passed. Had Webber run right over the curb on the inside he may held his position, but would have had to give it up for using the chicane. I can understand why both of them did what they did, and were the positions reversed I think it would have played out very similarly.

5. I wondered if as Whitmarsh and Dennis witnessed yet another Alonso masterclass, the thought “If only” crossed their minds?

I suspect that as they watched yet another Hamilton debacle, they cast their minds back to 2007 and wondered what could have been.

• Dont kid yourself, Hamilton is 25, Alonso is 29, almost 30…if McLaren get their head out of their asses and actually develop a car which is the class of the field, expect Lewis to win many a WDC…

• JamesR said on 28th September 2010, 8:24

Ahhhh, how old is Webber or was Schumacher before he retired. Lots of years left to deny the “young guns” and leave them withering on the vine.

In 2007 when all and sundry were prophesying LH’s domination of F1 and surpassing Schumacher’s record, one could ask whatever happened?

I wrote in the Telegraph (though a guardian reader) blog that for various reasons Hamilton would be fortunate to manage the one title. I stand by that.

Furthermore, other then the eighties, McLaren appear to have a 10-year cycle so not even history supports your assertion, however I admire your stoicism.

• Norman Bates said on 29th September 2010, 4:30

Unfortuntately, McLaren lost their Ferrari spy

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 29th September 2010, 9:32

Didn’t seem to hurt them in 2008. Or this year, for that matter – which of the two teams has won more races so far?

• McLaren usually have a couple of good years every 10-years, they’ve had two in 07/08 and they failed to really capitalise on either, (ignoring the other antics which occurred off track).

But would you put money on them in 2010?

No, not unless you’re a hard core gambling man and then you’d want long odds, the question is will they win another WDC/WCC in the foreseeable future, bear in mind it’s not where you start it’s where you finish that matters.

6. Watching the incident, it seemed that Hamilton made a fantastic move around Webber, but left him way too much space to get the inside line into the next corner, instead of closing him out. Webber took the inside line and was well onto the inside curb when Hamilton cut back. Had Hamilton either closed him out earlier or simply given Webber enough room around the corner, there would have been no collision. It was a racing incident and it happens.

• judo chop said on 26th September 2010, 21:56

Hamilton was ahead and on the racing line and actually took the corner wider than usual. Webber – though he had no room to retake the position – decided to be his hard-headed self and bulldoze his way through the corner. That’s why he was WAY over the kerbing.

7. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 26th September 2010, 22:19

I’m not a Hamilton fan, but I felt terrible for him. After seeing the replays a few times from a number of angles it was definitely just an unfortunate racing incident. I think it was probably about 60% Hamilton’s fault, 40% Webber’s.

8. claudioff said on 26th September 2010, 23:06

I was thinking how Hamilton was so unlucky in the last two races. When he was behind Massa their colision took only him out of the race. When he was in front of Webber their colision also took only him out of the race.

9. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 27th September 2010, 0:34

Difficult call. I think Hamilton made a similar error to the one Vettel made when overtaking Webber in Turkey – closing the door before the pass had been fully completed. Lewis had the corner to think about as well so it’s more understandable; if we accept his line about the blind spot then it’s pretty clear this was a racing incident and nothing more.

Maybe Hamilton underestimated Webber, imagining that Mark might want to go conservative given the championship situation.

10. John H said on 27th September 2010, 1:42

Watching the Webber’s on-board footage, there was no way he was going to make that without crashing into Hamilton – he was just very stubborn – reminded me of when Massa took Hamilton out at Fuji in ’08.

He knows Hamilton is going to turn into the corner, he can see him three quarters of a car ahead, and he keeps his foot in to await the consequences.

I honestly cannot believe that so many people, including the main man, think this to be ‘so obviously’ a racing incident, but then I think I must have my biased Hamilton hat on then I guess. I mean, I must be on those crazy pills again.

11. Lewis made a great passing maneuver on Webber which was the highlight of the race for me, but to see Webber try to force his way back into that gap which wasn’t and hit Lewis rear wheel and not receive any damage that would dissolve his race was my biggest letdown of the race.
    in my view (and i like both of these drivers) Webber had been passed but come back over aggressively and luck was on his side both could have been so easily been out of the race, but Webber managed to carry on, it made the incident look like it was Lewis fault when it was really a fantastic bit of driving from Hamilton and should have been the highlight of the race.
    so

12. Hamish said on 27th September 2010, 3:13

To be honest if I was Webber and/or Hamilton in that situation the first thing I would have done is gone down to the Virgin garage and slapped whoever that was in the Virgin.

I know they have their own race going on, but when its at this point of the season and they’re at least one lap down no one really cares about them. For one of them to still be ahead of Webber that far after the restart is pretty rude.

• Toby Bushby said on 27th September 2010, 3:50

Well said, Hamish! I uttered a few well chosen expletives at the Virgin car onscreen that earned me a scolding from my wife. This was an excellent piece of opportunism from Hamilton, and an excellent piece of no-you-don’t from Webber. Pity two cars can’t share the same piece of racetrack is all. :D

What a pleasure it is to have so many polarising drivers on the grid at the same time! We now have Hamilton Haters, the old Anti-Schumi’s are back, there’s a fast-growing Vettel Hate Club brewing (I’m currently a trial member), and the Alonso Hate Crew, mainly made up of the British Hamilton Defence Squad. What an amazing change in attitude in only 4 seasons! I distinctly remember praying that something would happen to spice the sport up after years of red cars in front on crappy grooved tyres. From reading most of the comments above, maybe some people need to appreciate how close this sport came to being ho-hum, and learn to appreciate those you hate for who they are….

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 27th September 2010, 10:38

If we’re not going to have a rule letting lapped cars unlap themselves, why don’t we have one that forces them to yield in a SC period, except before and after the scene of the accident? In another situation there could have been a nasty crash involving those backmarkers.

• Absolutly, but that would have to be carefully managed on a position by position basis, at Singapore I don’t think was deployed for long enough.

Probably better to bite on the bullet and return to cars uncapping themselves.

13. syamkaze said on 27th September 2010, 4:37

i’m an hamilton fan since he entered the F1. there are 3 things that the hamilton fan should know;

1. McLaren have failed to provide a better car for hamilton. they also failed to guide a good racing strategy for hamilton neither in pit lane stop, tyres choice and others.

2. when hamilton got hit by MW, the whole world can see how happy the ferrari dan Red bulls man cheering the accident. They shouted happily when hamilton is out of races. Something is not right here. is there more hate then the sport spirit.

3. i thought hamilton have learned enough regarding his last accident with massa in monza. i was wrong & as a big fan of him, i was very dissapointed with his driving attitude in this Singapore GP. we all know he was aggresive driver but what he should fully understand that his MCLaren car doesn’t have the speed on Singapore. Hamilton should be more carefull and passion. Collecting points are more inportant right now.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th September 2010, 8:09

In sport people cheer if the person/team they support does well and if their rivals don’t.

Even in GP2 the other week, Pastor Maldonado’s mechanics cheered when Sergio Perez ran into trouble. Fact of life.

Let’s not start the ‘holier than thou’ rubbish. Plenty of people at Silverstone this year booed Alonso.

14. Whenever Webber gets overtaken around the outside, he’s always going to try and outbrake the driver on the inside. He did it to Button in Abu Dhabi last year and Hamilton in Melbourne at turn 3 this year. Sometimes it doesn’t always work out but thats why I like Mark, he never gives up his position.

15. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 27th September 2010, 9:21

There is still 1220 km to go before someone is crowned the WC so there is every possibility for anyone of the top 5 to become champion as they are just covered by 25 points.

I will say it was 60:50 Webber, Hamilton could have left Webber some room & Webber could have backed off but if he have done that then Webber could have passed him easily & he won’t be able to get his third place, nice to see that Steward didn’t took this matter seriously as a penalty to Webber would have been the worst thing of the race.

• codesurge said on 27th September 2010, 10:17

60/50 = 110% total ;)

But definitely an incident that both drivers could have played a part in avoiding. It just so happened that Lady Luck was shining on Webber and not Hamilton last night.