Lotus were responsible for one of the most dramatic moments of the race when Heikki Kovalainen’s car caught fire. He said stopping it on the start/finish straight instead of the pit lane was the safest thing to do.
|Jarno Trulli||Heikki Kovalainen|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’51.641 (+0.726)||1’50.915|
|Average race lap||2’15.195 (+16.101)||1’59.095|
Trulli had a dreadful weekend in Singapore last year and this year was little different. Mike Gascoyne acknowledged it was not one of his driver’s favourite circuits.
A puncture forced an early pit stops and hydraulic problems ended his race.
Kovalainen was running 12th towards the end of the race which is higher than Lotus have finished this year. But he wasn’t able to hold off the recovering Michael Schumacher or Sebastien Buemi.
The Toro Rosso driver made contact on his way past, causing the damage that led to Kovalainen’s spectacular fire:
We were looking good for 15th, but then I had a coming together with Buemi towards the end of the race. I spun the car to get back onto the track which I think cracked the fuel tank pressure release valve and it looks like that caused an airbox fire.
I didn?óÔé¼Ôäót want to come into the pits as it definitely wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót safe enough to do so, and pulled over on the main straight. A couple of guys from Williams gave me an extinguisher, so I put the fire out on my own ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ I told Tony and Mike that they maybe need to pay me more as I?óÔé¼Ôäóm now a fireman as well.
2010 Singapore Grand Prix
- Technical review: Singapore Grand Prix
- Webber: Ferrari have momentum (Video)
- Final tracks suit McLaren better – Button
- No change in my approach – Hamilton
- Williams expect to keep up with Renault
- 2010 Singapore Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Singapore Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Fourth win of 2010 is Alonso’s best yet (Ferrari race review)
- Poor pace and another Hamilton DNF hits title hopes (McLaren race review)
- Webber has champion’s luck but lacks Vettel’s pace (Red Bull race review)
Image ?é?® Singapore GP