Should Renault sign R??ikk??nen? (Poll)

With many drivers staying put for 2011 the most coveted place on the grid for next year is the second Renault seat.

Speculation about who might take that place has come alive in the past week with the news that team principal Eric Boullier is planning to meet with Kimi R??ikk??nen. Is the 2007 world champion the right man for Renault?

Pro

The question is, does it make sense for Renault? And with all respect to their Russian rookie no-one would deny a Robert Kubica and R??ikk??nen is a strong driving pairing than Kubica and Vitaly Petrov.

Kubica is clearly a great talent but there were times at BMW when Nick Heidfeld showed him the way.

Having a bona fide world champion alongside him will leave the team in no doubt they’re getting the most out of their car every weekend.

Con

When R??ikk??nen left the sport last year he did so partly because of the lack of opportunities with front-running teams. But it was also motivated by his dislike of the degree of public exposure that comes with being a Formula 1 driver.

If he did come back, how long would it take him to tire of the press and PR work again?

Even if he didn’t, might Renault be better off investing in an up-and-coming driver who might have a more long-term future with the team? A Petrov, Grosjean or d’Ambrosio, for example?

I say

Speaking purely from the point of view of what’s good for the sport, I’d love to see R??ikk??nen racing again next year as the fifth or sixth champion on the grid (depending on how this year’s championship resolves itself).

The sticking point for me is which R??ikk??nen we get. The rapid, combative R??ikk??nen who won the 2007 championship and was always on top form at Spa?

Or the one that lost his edge after winning the championship to such an extent that Ferrari ended his contract a year early?

If it’s the former, let’s have him back. The latter can stay in the land of mud and Wellington boots.

You say

Do you think Renault should sign Kimi R??ikk??nen for 2011? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Should Renault sign Kimi R??ikk??nen for 2011?

• No (30%)

Total Voters: 3,402

Loading ... Loading ...

Read more: 2011 F1 drivers and teams

Image ?? Citroen

224 comments on Should Renault sign R??ikk??nen? (Poll)

1 2 3 7
  1. Lady Snowcat said on 2nd October 2010, 9:03

For Renault certainly…

They would certainly have been at least one place higher this year with Kimi…

For F1 fans… definitely, as this year is a bit uninspiring without him… let’s face it the WDC will be the one who has made the fewest number of totally stupid errors as they’ve all made them…

But for Kimi… I am not so sure…

He’s much much more relaxed rallying than he ever was in F1… so if he enjoys it and it’s certainly a much biggere challenge, why bother with F1…

• fordsrule said on 2nd October 2010, 10:30

Well I am an F1 fan, and I dont want him to go there, I personally dont like Renault so I would rather him not there. That and I dont mind Petrov, sure he has made mistakes, but he is a rookie, thats what they do.

• Funkyf1 said on 2nd October 2010, 12:43

Kimi Raikkonen is my favorite since Senna passed and a damn talented driver. So he wasn’t a media mogul, I liked that about him too. He was the Iceman, too hot to handle, too cold to freeze. His reason for losing interest at Ferrari are a lesson to learnt by all, when the team, the boss and the guy pulling the strings from above (msc) no longer support you, you show them the same support, yes his salary may have commanded more, but he did help develop that car the year before, the car he won the WDC. Mclaren from all reports loved him and his input and if you can remember he seemed a much happier camper at Mclaren. I was devastated when he left for Ferrari, luckily he was paid out and unfortunately Massa decided an income is more important than a career. No.2 in a team may as well just be called a test driver.
      Enough rambling, I voted No. Kimi is progressing in rallying, the environment is a better one, although I’d love to see him push an f1 car again and I love f1, I think the sport is heading for some dangerous times ( more days spent in courts rather than on the track ) and finally think Kubica deserves a no.1 spot in a team that is ever improving.

• graigchq said on 4th October 2010, 9:25

lol – too cold to freeze.. i’m sure there is some logic in that aomewhere..

• Actually, a somewhat analogous phenomenon happens with supersolid helium 4, which exists in an undefined state. It’s crystalline like a solid, but when cooled to below the lambda point, a frictionless Bose-Einstein condensate occurs, yielding liquid-like properties.

So, there you go. It makes sense after all.

• mikee said on 6th October 2010, 0:22

LOL
        he helped develop what
        he won the WDC in car deloped by schumacher
        and in 2008 and 2009 the car stank
        even in 2010 its a brick
        it took ferrari with Alonso till spain to get the car to be near the Red Bulls
        funny how a lot of peeps forget that Kimi is a fast racer thats all
        he is like the Hamster all speed and no brains
        sorry to say buts its my opion

• he is like the Hamster all speed and no brains

Well, he earns millions driving fast cars all day, parties all night, and can (and apparently does) have any woman he wants. Smart or not, he seems to have made some pretty good decisions! :)

• BasCB said on 2nd October 2010, 14:46

I suppose he sould do the thing he enjoys most. From what i see about his attetude this year, that looks like staying in WRC is the thing for him.
      I liked the comments from Kubica on Kimis website about himself choosing to stay in WRC if he would get such a great opportunity to drive in a top line rallye car.

2. melkurion said on 2nd October 2010, 9:20

Kimi was always a great driver, really fast, but rubbish at giving feedback, and helping develop a car.
    They said as much at ferrari before sacking him.

Renault are on their way back to the front of the grid thanks to their continious development program, which in turn relies a great deal on the feedback the team get from Kubica, and in a lesser degree petrov.

Motivation and speed aside, I just don’t think Raikonnen is what Renault needs right now…

• Alec said on 2nd October 2010, 9:51

You know McLaren say the absolute opposite about him, their engineers love how consistent he is for testing which is why they looked at taking him back when he left Ferrari.

• I would think that the Citroen guys would agree with the McLaren engineers. Anyway, he seems to be similar to Button in that he needs a very specific setup for him to do well, in fact, probably the opposite, since Button likes a stable rear while Kimi likes slight oversteer.

And yes, the Kimi from 2005 or 2007 would be worth hiring back…

• Todt brought him to Ferrari and developed the car to his liking in the second half of the season when he dominated. He needs great front grip otherwise he can’t perform. When Todt left noone was there to look after his interests and as we know he is really bad at doing that for himself.

They did not wan’t to develop the car in his direction and simply ignored to listen to his advice.

Schumacher was never a Kimi fan and disliked him and he showed it very clearly, he has close ties to Massa so he did everything in his power to give Massa what he wanted, massive understeering.

Last season both Badoer and Fisichella complained a lot about the understeering.

This year Alonso came in and the Ferrari is more neutral and Massa struggles immensely.
          Schumacher left for this season and Alonso was the force behind it and would have happened without the Mercedes drive.

Ferraris decision to put all weight behind Massa for emotional reasons was a huge mistake.
          After this season Massa have been beaten by 5 different teammates in the championship over the years, I think that is all of his teammate(not sure).

That is not the hallmark of a champion.

3. meh, only if Renault goes back to the old Blue and Yellow livery. I despise the yellow and black.

What more does he have to prove? Already has a championship and at least next year he should know most of the stages in the WRC — I’d like to see that experiment continue.

I definitely miss him in the interview room. On the track, he only pushed if he had a good car– otherwise, he cruised(like last year).

• bananarama said on 2nd October 2010, 15:25

You mean the kind of cruising he did when he got more points than any other driver out of race 9 to 14? In THAT car .. sure, he was SO demotivated and he drove so badly, it was a pain to watch ………..

• Mike-e said on 2nd October 2010, 19:14

the renault looks much better in yellow and black!

4. Cube said on 2nd October 2010, 9:23

No. Because I don’t want him back.

Though in the interests of Renault sure.. they should.. but in MY interests .. no…. XD

5. Todfod said on 2nd October 2010, 9:26

To be completely honest, Petroc hasn’t impressed me much this year. He had a couple of races where he got off to good starts and overtook slower cars.. but he made mistakes that even rookies would consider amatuerish.

I wouldn’t mins seeing Petrov around next year, as I’m sure he will develop into a better driver.. but he is not good enough to retain the second Renault seat.
    I would much rather see Kimi back, and hopefully, if Renault can challenge the top 2 teams next year, it will be great to see Kimi and Kubica fight it out.

• He had a couple of races where he got off to good starts and overtook slower cars.. but he made mistakes that even rookies would consider amatuerish.

Technically, you could say the same about Vettel… :]

6. I say no, and reason is the photo in this article. He is smiling, he is obviously happy in WRC. When did he ever smile in Formula 1? He has nothing left to prove in F1, he’s already won a World Championship, and unlike some he doesn’t need to prove he’s the best coming back to try and win a few more.

7. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 2nd October 2010, 9:32

I pretty much see it the way Keith does, but I say no.

Renault have Kubica. He’s proving this year that he is able to take the #1 position and really make something of it. With Kimi and Kubica in the same team, who becomes the leader? Renault have always been best when they’ve galvanised behind a fast lead driver and Petrov has shown flashes of pace and performance, even if he has been mistake-prone and been generally slower than Robert this season. What about him or one of the other potential rookies ready to make the step-up?

With Kimi, what are you getting? A Formula 1 World Champion, yes. But is that enough? Yes he’s brilliantly fast and yes he’s a proven race winner, but I really had an issue with his attitude and his apparent lack of drive and ambition ever since 2007. He’d need to prove to me that he’s fully committed and ready mentally before I’d say signing him was a good idea. Also, who’s to say that he’ll hop back into an F1 car after an entire year out and be as quick as he always was? For me, he’s too much of a gamble, so why take the risk?

Ultimately, I think it’s up to Renault to decide what they think gives them the best chance at moving up the grid next year, whether that’s Kimi, Petrov or whoever. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if Kimi joined Renault and found himself regularly beaten by Kubica, the man I think is driving the best out of anyone on the grid this season.

• glue (@glue) said on 2nd October 2010, 10:21

lack of ambition?..in 2008, he was in a position to win the Canadian, British, French Grands Prix as well, despite the team backing Massa’s driving style by then..and in 2009, once they re-focused on him, he was able to perform miracles in that car which hadn’t been developed because they were focusing on the F10 by that time..anyway, this has been said numerous times and it;s way too laborious to try and get everyone to see that

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 2nd October 2010, 15:42

This is an undermentioned point actually an a good one glue.

His performance, amazing string of podiums and all round brilliance, especially the sensational win at Spa are all completely ignored when Raikkonen’s motivation are considered. I had really hoped to see him at McLaren. Alas it was not to be, never the less I don’t think Renault would do to badly with Raikkonen if he doesn’t try to break their bank.

• Steph said on 2nd October 2010, 18:21

I think people forget Kimi in 09 because Massa beat him mostly. Kimi’s string of podiums were great but when he had Badoer next door not as special.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 2nd October 2010, 18:45

Massa didn’t beat him that often though. On the occasions they both finished Massa beat Kimi 3 times and Kimi beat massa twice. Not necessarily a walk over. Over the 5 races leading up to the accident (as the car became more competitive) Massa scored all his points whereas Kimi had 2 retirements. I think people saw Massa beating Kimi in the championship and assumed it was the same as 08, but I would not have been surprised to see Kimi finish the season with more points had Massa continued running.

• Roland said on 2nd October 2010, 18:53

The stats will say that massa beat him during the first half of 2009 but kimi outqualified him more times than not and suffered bad luck in races – for example nurburgring he retired from p4 and finished p9 at silverstone because of a catastrophic ferrari strategy. at monaco he was half a second quicker in quali. people seem to conveniently forget these things.

• When they both finished…in 09 China Massa looked good for a podium in China until his car failed, in Spain Massa was beating Kimi until Rai’s gearbox failed, in Aus both were doing really well and then it all went pair shaped. At Monaco Kimi had a cracking weekend but Massa was flying all race too and may have challenged Kimi met Button coming out of the pits that halted his charge. Kimi (and Ferrari) mucked up his strategy in Malaysia.

People said Massa was beating Kimi because well, he was…

• patrickl said on 3rd October 2010, 10:01

The first half of 2009, Kimi hardly had a race where something didn’t break down or go wrong. Smoking KERS, miss-firing cilinders, wrong tyres.

• Kimi really massacred Massa in qualy but
            had many weird problems in the race.
            There was no question who was quicker.

I went over stats for qualies and race pace and car weight etc.

He usually outqualified Massa even as he had a couple of more laps of fuel, Massa liked to go light and Kimi heavy. I think Massa made a better choice since the teams was so close.

Massa had more points at the stage he left but points are not all the truth.

• Massa could’ve won the championship in 2009 had the car lasted in the first part of the championship.

8. I’d like to see Kimi back. Will Renault be able to stump up enough coin for it to happen?

9. kami said on 2nd October 2010, 9:39

I can’t agree with “Nick Heidfeld showed him [kubica] the way.”. They were in german team so this team supported Heidfeld more thank Kubica. Just remember 2008 season when Kubica fought for WDC but team was more interested in helping Heidfeld in quali.

• BMW were trying to get the best result for the team. If they favoured Heidfeld they wouldn’t have got him to let Kubica through at Canada 2008. That meant that the team managed to get a 1-2 whereas if Heidfled hadn’t let Kubica through BMW would still have won the race but probably not achieved a 1-2 finish.

• glue (@glue) said on 2nd October 2010, 10:24

Nick did show him the way in two out of the three full seasons they were team-mates

• bob80 said on 2nd October 2010, 10:56

I would say he did in 2007 when Kubica was rookie. In 2008 Kubica was better than Heidfeld. I think in 2009 Heidfeld wasn’t better than Kubica as you suggested. He finished just 2 points in front of him and had less DNF because of technical problem. Also Kubica suffered because of KERS and regulations in 2009 which favoured short drivers. There were couple of races when Heidfeld was racing with KERS an Kubica without it because of problems with balancing the car.

• glue (@glue) said on 2nd October 2010, 11:00

in 2006 he was a rookie..Kubica finished so close to Heidfeld last year because of his podium in Brazil which gave him 8 points, while Heidfeld’s podium in Malaysia only gave him 4, for instance

• bob80 said on 2nd October 2010, 11:11

I agree, although at the start of 2007 season Kubica was only in 6 races (2006) when Heidfled was in 117. Malaysia 2009? All I remember from this GP is Heidfeld hailing his crucial tyre choice decision….

10. I would very much like to see Raikkonen come back to F1, because he is my all time favourite f1 driver. Besides, if Renault are thinking of winning the championship, they should have a champion in the second cockpit. They will not win the championship with such drivers like Petrov, Glock, Grosjean or d’Ambrosio. It takes at least two years until young driver starts to give fruits, and there is still question if they are talented enough to give fruits. Tell me the team, who won championship with weak second driver. You won’t, because there wasn’t such a team.

• Mike said on 3rd October 2010, 9:29

Enjoy! Dave tallied a total of zero points while team mate Emerson won the championship.

Overall I disagree with your comments, The amount of money Renault could put into development instead of into Kimi’s salary could very well be the difference between them taking the title and not.

On the other side, Kimi is cool to watch, and he is quick, So I’d like him back too!

11. Sush Meerkat said on 2nd October 2010, 9:50

I say no, if he does come back all we will get is;
    “it was ok I suppose”
    *scratches nose then ears*

• Do you watch F1 for interviews???

• Cyclops said on 2nd October 2010, 12:45

Some people don’t notice it’s racing not MTV and prefer Lewis-styled PR puppets than drivers focused purely on racing and not seeking media attention like Kimi or Robert. That’s sad.

• Sush Meerkat said on 2nd October 2010, 15:26

Don’t be so silly, your just making an assumption about me because I’ve insulted Kimi.

I don’t like the guy, my allowed to state my opinion via the medium of a rubbish jokes.

I’d prefer Karun, Sato, Anthony Davidson and JP Montayo anyday because they can actually drive and the have personalities.

If I’m forced to watch the build up repeating what I’ve read on F1Fanatic for the week then the least I’m asking for is some entertainment.

Although I must admit watching Kimi charge through the field when wanting a win was always exciting to watch, but that stopped happening after 2007.

• wow, you are accusing that kimi doesn’t have a personality…..
            pushing the media person in the pits,
            talking about ‘taking a dump’ in the interview,
            sleeping hours before a race and
            poking his ‘gear’ stick in a bar
            these are all TRUE reflection of his devil may care(but i wont about trivial details like media attention) personality.

Now tell me what is Hamilton’s personality…..
            Don’t say ‘always pushing and never giving up…..’
            the guy complains like a girl and threatened to quit after a lousy month (which was his making of course).

• Sush Meerkat said on 2nd October 2010, 23:35

alfz, why have you assumed I like Hamilton too?.

Or are you just stating your dislike for a driver?, if so, good on you.

• Come on, no personality from Kimi?

AFAIC, the best Kimi moment was the race where he got champagne sprayed in his face on the podium, and appeared to be pretty uncomfortable. The interviewer asked him whether there was an issue with the champagne, and kimi said, “Yeah – think so we should put in the mouth and not in the eye…”

12. Steve said on 2nd October 2010, 10:09

Kimi is one of those rare drivers that can change peoples loyalties away from their teams. I hate Ferrari but bought alot of Kimi/Ferrari merch. I never particularly liked Renault, even in the Alonso days, but with the new paint scheme and with Kimi and Kubica heading the teams they would probably become the team I’m routing for. Its not exactly a concious choice, but you cant help feel excited when Kimi does well. It will only help Renualt.

13. ExParot said on 2nd October 2010, 10:19

Probably the most over-rated driver ever!

How many years was he with Mclaren? and how many titles did he get: Nil

He should stick to racing Ladas in the woods, after all there he’ll have plenty of space to “go for a s**t”
    ;)

• glue (@glue) said on 2nd October 2010, 10:23

how many years was Coulthard with McLaren and how many titles has he won?

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 2nd October 2010, 11:10

He came pretty close in 03 and 05 though. And the other years weren’t particularly competitive for McLaren.

• “He came pretty close in 03 and 05 though” Not really in 05 as Alonso won before the season even ended.

To be fair to him though Mclaren were unreliable or like 06 no where near contention.

“And one year after he went over to Ferrari’s ice cream cabinet, Mclaren were on top again.”

I don’t think that was Kimi’s fault they weren’t on top before plus Mclaren did have a little bit of help with their car in 07 :P

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 2nd October 2010, 18:30

Ok it wasn’t massively close, but after an early domination by Alonso he upped his game and chased him down for a lot of the season. I think weve got used to thinking from 06-08 and probably this year that it is common for championships to go down to the last race, but really having it decided 1 race early is still pretty close, especially for the number of races on the modern calender.

Perhaps I’m biased in wanting Kimi back because 05 was the year I started watching every race and Kimi made that season exciting.

• F1iLike said on 2nd October 2010, 12:01

Hadn’t the Mercedes engine and the Mclaren had such bad reliability he would be three time champion now. At least. Now you’re sport before hating. Btw, how many lap records and fastest laps does Kimi have? That’s right, quite a few. He’s probably one of the absolutely fastest and most consistent driver in modern ages of F1.

• Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 2nd October 2010, 12:57

If’s and but’s – I don’t know where you got 3 titles from. He was really only in the 2003 championship by virtue of reliability and in the second half of 2005 Alonso had such a lead in the championship he rarely pushed hard in races because he didn’t need to. In his other years at McLaren the car wasn’t good enough for him to win a title.

Trouble with Kimi in the last couple of years was that he took half a race to wake up, then when he finally did it was too late on in the race for him to so anything.Most of the time he set them in the last moments of a race when he’d finally woken up and everyone else was just cruising to the end. Consistant isn’t a word I’d use to describe Kimi, you never knew which version of him would turn up in his Ferrari years at least.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 2nd October 2010, 17:14

How many years was he with Mclaren? and how many titles did he get: Nil

After he left Mcdonalds, how long did it take for him to win the title? One season.

14. MikeSRandall said on 2nd October 2010, 10:22

I don’t see it myself. Renault (Benetton) has historically been a team more interested in the drivers’ championship than the constructors’. I don’t think Kimi is likely to return to a car that won’t win him the title – there would be no point. But if Renault build a car capable of taking the top spot, they already have a driver who can put it there in Kubica. To dismiss Petrov in favour of Räikkönen would merely lose them untold millions of pounds (both from the money Petrov brings in and what they would have to pay Kimi) just to give them a driver who will be trying to take points off Kubica (Kimi, a team player? I don’t think so.)

However, the question remains, what is going on? There is, as Heikki Kovaleinen will tell you, no smoke without fire, and there is certainly *something* going on in Enstone. Petrov is under pressure to up his game, with Räikkönen being used as the stick to the ‘seaat for next year’ carrot. But I personally think that’s all it is. Renault’s ideal situation would be for Vitaly to suddenly wake up and turn into the next Pedro Diniz, a wealthy, competent number two supporting a Kubica title bid as his tailgunner. If they decide he really isn’t up to it (and I think the evidence so far suggests he should be given another chance), I don’t see Kimi being the answer. If Petrov has to go, my money would be on Nick Heidfeld being the ideal man to bring his Pirelli knowledge and development skills, as well as the way he has of pushing Kubica’s buttons to spur him on as he did in 2008. They made a great team then, and I think they can again.

Kimi’s not coming back to F1, at least not this year.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd October 2010, 10:30

There’s a reason why Renault didn’t take Heidfeld at the beginning of the season – Kubica didn’t want to partner him again. His performance at Singapore was lacklustre at best; we know the Sauber C29 is capable of much more than what he delivered.

His knowledge of the Pirelli tyres will be of no use to him. He is no longer Pirelli’s test driver, and he only did two preliminary tests. I have a friend who is writing a PhD on polymers (he’s actually looking to work in MotoGP with racing tyres) and we were discussing this a few months ago. Because the exact composition of the rubber compounds is such a delicate science, experienced of preliminary tyres will offer no advantage because the final compunds will have change so much. Heidfeld might as well have been testing tractor tyres.

• Jameson said on 2nd October 2010, 19:57

PM,

To be fair, Heidfeld’s race was ruined in the first laps with the Force India magnet that was installed in front and back of his car. It looked to me, from Heidfeld’s on-board, that Sutil passed him on the outside of the kerbing which must have been a bit unexpected. The shoddy pit work on his front left didn’t help the situation. Also, later in the race he was missing an entire rear wing end plate which destroyed the aerodynamic efficiency of the whole rear of the car. Oh, and don’t forget about Schumacher’s dive into the side of Heidfeld forcing the retirement of the latter. I do think that describing Heidfeld’s race as lackluster is a bit harsh.

While you’re right that Heidfeld won’t have real, definite knowledge of the final build of Pirelli’s tire compounds his stock is still potentially higher than (some) drivers that haven’t touched the new tires.

• chaostheory said on 2nd October 2010, 11:25

Kimi, not a team player? What are you talking about? Hes already proved he can be a team player when he was helping Massa in 2008. He is better team player than Alonso. I am sure Massa was happier with Kimi than he is now with Fernando.
      Being a lone wolf in the paddock or in life (even if hes married) doesnt mean hes like that on the track.

• vodka and orange said on 2nd October 2010, 12:17

Alonso doesnt have to be a team player….he is the best out there!!! #:)

• Todfod said on 2nd October 2010, 13:07

Its kind of obvious Massa would be happy with Kimi as a teammate. Kimi never outclassed Massa the way Alonso has. Alonso is a league above both Massa and Kimi.

Kim is a good teammate because he just shuts his mouth and drives, but he doesn’t have the ability to lead a team or develop a car like Alonso can. But Kimi should still get the 2nd Renault seat. Honestly, Petrov is a pretty crappy driver, and if it wasn’t for the money he wouldn’t be able to get an F1 drive.

• bananarama said on 2nd October 2010, 15:34

Yeah, Alonso brings 6 tents to every team he goes to and Kimi merely criuses along unmotivated .. thanks for clarifying that :-)

• 6 tents? Don’t the teams supply their own hospitality centres? Bit much to expect Alonso to struggle along with 6 tents every race :p

• macca77 said on 2nd October 2010, 15:40

I guess you have been watching the wrong F1 for the last few years. Kimi beat Alonso in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Ferrari signed Kimi over Alonso when Schumi returned. Kimi without a doubt was the best driver in F1 from the moment Schumi retired. Alonso can’t pass Massa without team orders, Kimi was always faster that Massa and even at the times when Ferrari wasn’t supporting him for the WDC. Get real man, Alonso is good but no better than Kimi, he is not even better than Hamilton.

• bananarama said on 2nd October 2010, 16:03

Are you familiar with terms such as irony and sarcasm (thats why for example I used tents instead of tenths)?

To me, Kimi is still the fastest driver, even though he doesn’t drive one of these cars anymore. Maybe overall not the best but I think the fastest and as a package among the best.

• Errrr, I’m pretty sure that he was answering Todfod, not you.

• bananarama said on 2nd October 2010, 16:29

Thats possible.

• Todfod said on 2nd October 2010, 23:33

@banarama. I understood your sarcasm. And dont get me wrong, I am a Kimi fan as well, but I can still honestly admit that while he has lightning quick pace at times, he has none of the other skills and traits that Alonso does. If Kimi wasn’t demotivated in 2008, then he was very well off Massa’s pace. Either way it makes him an inferior driver to Alonso.

@macca77. For you to say something as ridiculous as ‘Kimi beat Alonso in 2007, 2008 and 2009′, shows your lack of in depth understanding of this sport. In 2008 and 2009 Kimi was driving a Ferrari, while Alonso was driving a sub standard Renault. So it is not possible to make accurate comparisons. I agree that Alonso lost the battle and his mind in 2007, but its also very convenient how u forgot Kimi losing 2 WDCs to Alonso in 2005 and 2006. :)

• F1 presently is 90% car and 10% driver , so on that , while I wouldn’t mind seeing Kimi on next years grid , I think a number of other less expensive drivers will do the same job he can.

• Victor. said on 2nd October 2010, 13:50

You fail to realise that the money Petrov brought might actually be less than if Renault finished fourth in the WCC. Also, I will say it again, the sponsors Petrov draws towards Renault are relatively tiny pity sponsors. What they need to fight for the championship is a title sponsor and that is something Raikkonen would be able to provide I’m sure partly because he is totally recognisable and adored and partly because he would actually propel Renault in the standings.

I think Petrov has been rather horrible this year. I was all in favour of him in the first few races, but how long can you be inconsistent AND slow? If he was either of the two you could work on the other one, but alas he is neither. Whilst the Renault is not the best car on the grid, I think that with what he has he should have scored more than about 20 points, especially if his teammate has scored more than five times that amount. I do not see other rookies such as Kobayashi and Hulkenberg struggling that much. Even if their teammates are arguably slower than Kubica, a ratio of 5:1 is ridiculous. How can people honestly say that Petrov has shown he deserves another chance – I think Hungary was an exception. One in possibly 19.

Kimi and Kubica would be the absolute brilliant partnerships I think. They both love racing (they are the only two that rally), they both don’t love the spotlight, they both are incredibly quick, they both want to win (Kubica in 2009 didn’t care too much in my eyes) and they both are very aggressive if the set-up and tyres suit them.I am also quite certain that they are not motivated by money. People always go on about how Raikkonen earned millions, but if a team offered him ludicrous sums why should he refuse? I don’t think monetary issues were the reason why the negotiations between Raikkonen and McLaren broke down – Raikkonen felt like trying the WRC and get lots of money from Ferrari. Now that he’s realised that it’s not so easy to switch from F1 to WRC, he wants to come back.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd October 2010, 14:32

Actually, the Lada deal Renault picked up at the beginning of the year is worth fifteen million Euros. Just shy of 10% of Renault’s budget, or so I’m told.

Raikkonen is a bad fit in Renault. The team is already built around Kubica, and Raikkonen won’t take to that at all.

Oliver Quesnal – Citroen’s team principal – has been quoted ahead of the Rally of France saying that Raikkonen has told him that he wants to stay in the WRC.

15. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd October 2010, 10:27

I’d be very hesitant about taking Raikkonen in. He has a history of only doing the bare minimum when he feels the car is not where he’d like it; the first half of 2009 is testament to that. I’d sooner take Jean-Denis Deletraz.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd October 2010, 10:32

One thing I forgot: Oliver Quesnal – Citroen’s team principal – has recently said that he knows Formula 1 wants Raikkonen back, but he himself would like to keep Raikkonen around, and at the moment, Raikkonen wants to keep on rallying.

• patrickl said on 3rd October 2010, 10:06

It’s more like Ferrari did the bare minimum. Of the first 6 races there were only one or two where the car di’dn’t break down or the team put full wets on on a dry track.

You have such a ridiculously biassed view it’s depressing.

• William Wilgus said on 4th October 2010, 9:19

I agree. You never knew ‘which Kimi’ would show up.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 4th October 2010, 15:28

He had several mechanical breakdowns, and of course there was the infamous Malaysian race where he was sent out on full wets on a bone dry track. How do you expect to see a driver’s full potential then?

1 2 3 7