Sauber sign Sergio Perez for 2011

2011 F1 season

Sergio Perez, GP2, 2010

Mexican driver Sergio Perez will make his F1 debut for Sauber in 2011.

Perez will partner Kamui Kobayashi who has already be confirmed for next year.

Nick Heidfeld, who took Pedro de la Rosa’s place in the team at the previous round will not continue as a racing driver with the team beyond the end of this season.

Perez said:

Formula One is the dream of every young racing driver. And now this dream is about to come true for me. Although I?m very much aware that this is also a big challenge and responsibility, I?m happy to accept that and am proud to be representing my country in the highest category of motor racing.

I would like to thank Peter Sauber for the faith he?s shown in me and I?ll do everything I can to make the most of this wonderful opportunity.

Perez currently lies second in the GP2 championship behind Pastor Maldonado, who has already been crowned champion.

Sauber has also announced it will be sponsored by Mexican telecommunications giant Telmex as of next year.

Team principal Peter Sauber said:

Telmex has been involved in motor sport for a number of years already and supports drivers in various race series. Now they are making the key step up into the top category of motor racing, and we are happy and proud that they are taking this step with us. Telmex is an outstanding company and represents a strong partner for our team. We are looking forward to a fruitful partnership.

Sauber previously announced another Mexican driver, Esteban Gutierrez, as their 2011 test driver.

The last Mexican driver to start an F1 race was Hector Rebaque for Brabham in the 1981 Las Vegas Grand Prix.

Read more: 2011 F1 drivers and teams

Image ?? GP2 Media Service

100 comments on Sauber sign Sergio Perez for 2011

1. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 5th October 2010, 5:10

Very sad to hear that Nick wont be their in 2011, I thought he could have been a better option but I think this time it is more about money that Perez will bring for the team matters more to them more than a driver who could have develope their car a lot.

Among all the team that have announced their 2011 line up I think this is by far the weakest team.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th October 2010, 6:06

Don’t forget – Sauber have a reputation as a finder of new talent. Weak they may be, but the other teams watch them with interest because they’re a midfield outfit and they’ve uncovered some very promising drivers in their time. Both Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen started with Sauber, and while Perez might be bringing cash into the team, the bad old days of pay drivers being playboys who fancied themselves Grand Prix drivers are truly past us. You have to have a basic level of talent to be able to qualify for a Superlicence, so don’t write Perez off totally just yet.

• wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 6th October 2010, 3:26

I am not writing him off, Peter Sauber do find some raw talent but what I am telling that Nick isn’t that bad a driver, he had worked with the team before & with his experience the team could have build a better car.

2. 1 .- Carlos Slim (Mexican): world’s richest man according Frobes

2.- Esteban Gutierrez (Mexican) GP3 champion 2010- third driver for the Sauber team.

3.- Sergio Pérez (Mexican) second place in GP2 championship 2010 – now official F1 driver.

Question: Sauber will become a semi Mexican team?

3. Abhijeet said on 5th October 2010, 8:04

I believe nick must be in talks with some other teams,mainly Renault and Lotus. Its not all done and dusted for Nick. I still want him to win his coveted first win and also a decent run amongst the top of the championship runners for at least one season to justify immense talent he has. And also congrats to Sauber for choosing the young and exciting line up for the next season. All the best Nick for next year.

4. sunseeker said on 5th October 2010, 9:24

nick was brought up only to test real kobayashi performance. i think this is the deal:

nick comes in and puts kobayashi to a test (5 races are enough)

perez joins next year, and gutierrez is probably set up for 2012, peter will then decide who (from those 3) will sticks with the team

he will have prety good look at the situation because nick will value kobayashi, and obviously kobayashi will value perez

i think gutierrez is a lock if he proves him self next year in gp2, he surely has talent.

5. Fixy (@fixy) said on 5th October 2010, 13:57

This is a guarantee of Sauber remaining in the sport.

6. Might this pave the way a litte for the return of the Mexican GP?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th October 2010, 7:40

Anything that brings back the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez is good news in my book. Not that I’d imagine they’d dare to use it in its 1992 form.

7. Another new driver, I wonder if Nick Heidfeld will get a car for next year.