F1 Fanatic round-up: 7/10/2010

In the comments on a recent article on Twitter I was asked to do more withthe F1 Fanatic presence on Facebook.

I have been updating it more regularly for the last few days so if you’re a Facebook user and you’ve not had a look at the F1 Fanatic Facebook Group for a while, head over there now.

I still massively prefer Twitter, but maybe you can convince me otherwise!

Here’s today’s round-up:

Links

Tycoon Vijay Mallya close to buying into QPR (Evening Standard)

“Indian tycoon Vijay Mallya is negotiating to buy a ??significant?? percentage of Queens Park Rangers in a deal which could see Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone leave the club.”

Red Bull chairman wants F1 circuit in Thailand (Bangkok Post)

“Red Bull Beverage managing director Saravoot Yoovidhya said that both of their F1 team racers – Mark Webber and Sebastien Vettel – will visit Thailand in the near future. The two failed to meet Thai fans as planned in Samui last week claiming that they needed to focus on the next event in Japan this week.”

Massa won’t settle for No.2 role after 2010 (ESPN)

“For sure I am not Ferrari’s second Rubens Barrichello.” If the cap fits…

Comment of the day

Luca di Montezemolo’s remark that “Felipe is and will always stay a number one driver for Ferrari” was just begging for a caveat to be stuck on the end. Fer no. 65 does the honours:

??except when we need him to be number two driver or when he performs like a number two driver?? so basically he?s a number two driver that could have been a number one driver, but we don?t need that any more, so he?s a number two driver full time now.

From the forum

While we’re talking comments, what makes a good one? Have your say here

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Alexandre Carvalho!

On this day in F1

The wheels began to come off Lewis Hamilton’s championship bid at Shanghai three years ago today. Staying out too long on worn intermediate tyres on a drying track he got stuck in a gravel trap when he tried to come into the pits.

Kimi R??ikk??nen seized the initiative with the first of two victories which would ultimate see him win the championship.

72 comments on F1 Fanatic round-up: 7/10/2010

1. Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 7th October 2010, 0:21

Twitter may be better suited to F1 chitterchat, but Facebook is still far more popular, so it makes sense to update on there.

In some ways I think it’s better actually, for example it’s nice to have thumbnail pictures of links so you know what you’re clicking on, rather than the tiny url’s on Twitter

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 7th October 2010, 0:49

I’ve been on Facebook longer than Twitter, and I avoid it like the plague. It makes sense for keeping in touch with old friends, but for information and commerce (like chatting about F1 for example) Twitter is far superior. For example the F1 Chat that takes place every Monday on Twitter would not be possible with Facebook’s structure. I hope Keith doesn’t migrate towards Facebook to the detriment of his Twitter feed!

• Dan Newton said on 7th October 2010, 1:51

I don’t use twitter (yet) but even I know it’d be the better way forward. Saying that I’ll still pop over to FB and have a scan of the F1Fanatic page.

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 7th October 2010, 2:56

I too prefer twitter to FB for fast F1 updates. I even follow you Ned! By the way did you resolve the “your messages are awaiting moderation” issue? I still have it and am wondering if the problem is on my side of the Internet.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 7th October 2010, 10:23

I massively prefer Facebook because Twitter is rubbish for networking. It’s basically the Facebook Status update with an option to link to pictures; Facebook has that and more.

For news however, Twitter is better. You can just sign up to all the sources you want without it interfering with keeping up on your friends – unless you add friends too. Since I gave up on following everything that was going on, I ended up deleting my account because for me, it was useless.

2. Christian said on 7th October 2010, 0:29

Why do you always seem to beat up on Ferrari and particularly Massa?

Keith, your bias can be really off-putting at times.

But you’d do well to remember that it was just two years ago that Massa was one corner away from depriving Saint Hamilton the Championship.

Now I can’t seem to remember Barrichello doing that when at Ferrari.

So enough of “if the cap fits…”

It’s tiresome.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 7th October 2010, 0:52

Where was Keith beating up on Ferrari or Massa? The comment of the day wasn’t his comment. I’m guessing he picked it because it’s funny. Even a Ferrari fan should be able to see the humor in it.

• Christian said on 7th October 2010, 1:00

Not the COTD, more the paragraph above it; the little snip remark against Massa.

It’s not very fair and balanced.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 7th October 2010, 1:26

he just said what it is, really…

we like Massa but you can’t really say he won’t do it again.

He did it once already… so…

• magnafw07 said on 7th October 2010, 3:28

Why do Ferrari fans get snippy when someone points out the truth?

I like Ferrari, I like Michael Schumacher, but it doesn’t mean that their farts automatically smell like roses.

Please relax, and learn some critical thinking skills.

• Sideshow Bob said on 7th October 2010, 3:25

Most people seem to forget that drivers are team employees. Luca is not really lying at all here. Massa is a ‘number one’ driver in the sense that at the begging of every season he has every bit the same rights Fernando has within the team to go for the title. If one year from now Massa is leading the championship by a small margin from the Mclaren drivers and Alonso is 50 points off, everybody within the Scuderia will expect Fernando to help Felipe to the title. Now, that may not be likely, but that’s how it would be. Don’t you remember Michael helping Eddie Irvine in 1999? The team’s reason for existence is to win. If you somehow expect them to be all “fair” about it and not give themselves the best chance to win then you’re dreaming.

• magnafw07 said on 7th October 2010, 3:36

You think they would have learnt from the 1999 season not to put all of the their eggs into one basket.

• Sideshow Bob said on 7th October 2010, 3:53

That’s nonsensical. What is the probability of such an injury? Probably 5% or less. It happened to Michael one time in what, 16 seasons? Never happened to any of the current challengers for the championship. You can’t use one unlikely incident as proof that the entire approach is wrong.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 7th October 2010, 10:30

Maybe. But many want it to be as fair as possible. You can’t deny them being annoyed at Ferrari just because you have a different ethos to them. Just as, at the end of the day, they can’t expect Ferrari to change for them.

It would be nice if it was a battle amongst teams and not philosophies, but Ferrari have chosen theirs and if people don’t like it, Ferrari have no right to play the self-righteous card; people have the right to voice their opinion.

The reason this situation is so different to, say, having a permanent #1 and #2 system, is because Ferrari didn’t just act out of a different philosophy, they broke the rules. And then refused to admit it or apologise when they were convicted, instead hiding behind words. That’s what got people angry.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th October 2010, 5:52

Massa is denying he acted like another driver who infamously handed a victory to his team mate while driving for Ferrari, and you expect me to take that at face value? I don’t think so.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 7th October 2010, 6:20

Cool it down Christian, as far as I know, Fer no.65 (that’s whos quote it is) is a pretty big Ferrari fan, and I am sure he is not saying anyting against Massa.

But it does seem peculiar to hear Monti openly asking to support Alonso (i.e. be nr. 2 driver to him) and a week later say, that Massa is a nr. 1 driver as well. Hard to believe he really means it, isn’t it?

• DGR-F1 said on 7th October 2010, 8:18

As Bob says, Massa is just a team member, and needs to remember who is paying his wages. The trouble is, I don’t think Luca is a ‘people-person’ and is finding it difficult to balance the ‘Alonso-forever’ attitude needed to win the WDC, and the ‘Massa-Baby’ attitude needed to keep him on-side and interested enough to help win the WCC. If Luca cannot get the balance right by the end of the season, and into the next, its not going to be a fun place to be at Ferrari.
        These are thoughts inspired by Massa’s remarks as much as the COTD….

• Fer no.65 said on 7th October 2010, 16:57

No, I’m not a big Ferrari fan :)

honestly, i don’t support teams…

and no, the quote Christian was talking about is from Keith :P…!

3. Chiv said on 7th October 2010, 0:30

I joined Twitter today (chiv21) and I would massively facebook although I can see the benefits of Twitter. It seems as though theirs more fan to fan communication but maybe it’s who doesn’t understand Twitter :0
    A race in Thailand a bad idea in my view, is their even one formula 1 fan there? Sorry if I sound arrogant :)

4. Gridlock said on 7th October 2010, 0:32

Twitter every time. You have a blog for long posts.

FB is claustrophobic and clunky. Twitter is open, easy and more focused.

5. Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 7th October 2010, 0:39

Don’t you think accusing someone of bias whilst mockingly refering to ‘Saint Hamilton’ is rather hypocritical?

Personally, I don’t think this site is biased at all. Of course, Keith can be critical of Ferrari at times, but that’s fair enough given their track record.

• Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 7th October 2010, 0:41

Err… this was meant to be in response to Christian’s comment above

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 7th October 2010, 0:54

Exactly. I think Keith disagrees with Ferrari’s use of team orders, but that has nothing to do with bias.

• Christian said on 7th October 2010, 0:56

It’s sarcastically mocking the McLaren/Hamilton bias on this website.

And the difference is, I don’t run a website that’s supposed to be impartial (or at least, that’s what I believed the aim to be).

• Jarred Walmsley said on 7th October 2010, 2:11

There is no bias, the articles reflect what the F1 community in general believe, and if you don’t like it because you believe it is biased feel free to go and find another site, or better yet give up your job and create one yourself.

I have yet to see any evidence to suggest that Keith is either biased towards Hamilton or against Ferrari, the articles are simply based on what teams have done and Keiths opinon on them. And no I am not english nor am I a McLaren fan, I am a kiwi and a RBR fan

• “if you don’t like it because you believe it is biased feel free to go and find another site, or better yet give up your job and create one yourself”

I do not agree about what Christian has said, but I think everybody has the right to say (respectfully) what they think even when they don’t agree what Keith says…

and none of us should come here to say other people what should they read or do. Every of us (Christian included, I guess) come here because we like to read what Keith want to tell us.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 7th October 2010, 8:06

Or maybe someone just because they don’t like it, but like to pain themselves with reading it and then critisizing :o

• Maciek said on 7th October 2010, 9:49

Christian has the right to voice his opinion, although accusing people of bias when they don’t agree with you is never the start of a constructive dialogue. It’s silly to say that there is no bias. If we didn’t have a any bias we wouldn’t have any opinions. What I’d like to know though, is on what do you base your opinion that “the articles reflect what the F1 community in general believe”?

• magnafw07 said on 7th October 2010, 3:40

So you are suggesting that a site that criticizes a team that has BEEN FOUND GUILTY of breaking the rules, is biased?

That’s some good logic right there.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th October 2010, 5:54

I don’t run a website that’s supposed to be impartial

Nor do I, and nor have I ever claimed it is. I can’t think of a better definition of setting oneself up for a fall than to set an unachievable objective like that.

6. Fer no.65 said on 7th October 2010, 0:56

YAY! :D CODT again :D!

7. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 7th October 2010, 2:58

A Thai Grand Prix?

It could work. Thailand is a massive tourist destination, but the political situation would need to stabilise first.

8. codesurge (@codesurge) said on 7th October 2010, 3:21

On a separate note, looks like the Singapore race edit is up on the official F1 site:

• Dane said on 7th October 2010, 4:06

The Singapore race looks amazing at night. Webbers Q3 lap video & his drift through turn14 was great to watch aswell. I have no idea how these drivers can keep up the pace for a race distance. Its tiring just to watch them

9. nik (@nik) said on 7th October 2010, 5:23

Keith maybe you could create a Twitter list of everybody from the F1F community who is on Twitter, which would make it easier to follow everybody who is here so we don’t have to individually find them and follow them:

I am @nikblack – perhaps you can get ppl to follow/msg you on twitter with their handles

10. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 7th October 2010, 5:53

Ha! This has to be the coolest F1 fan I’ve seen in a long time:

11. BasCB (@bascb) said on 7th October 2010, 7:41

Thanks for that link about Mallya being close to buying into QPR istead of Briatore and Bernie. It shows where the politics are done, and gives an indication of just how close these people are.

Interestingly QPR would me mostly owned by Indians after that (Mittal is registred in the UK, but is from India as well).

12. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 7th October 2010, 8:01

Renault hit back at Raikkonen, claiming there was no ill will on their behalf. They were never using him, instead claiming that they were only ever answering quetsions fielded by the press. This interview from F1.com, which later appeared on news sites like Autosport, backs his claims up:

The first mention of Raikkonen comes from the interviewer, not from Boullier. It looks like he was only ever answering questions asked by the press, which were later worked into stories like this one:

I’m with Icthyes on this one – the whole episode reeks of Raikkonen being upset and offended that he had to prove his worth and his motivation to the team before they were willing to talk about signing him. Your loss, Kimi.

13. BasCB (@bascb) said on 7th October 2010, 8:09

Following up from small worries about the preparations by the Austin GP team, here is a link showing some of what they have prepared http://www.formula1journal.com/2010/10/detailed-austin-site-grading-plans-by-flood.html .

To me it looks like they are doing pretty well, incorporating wetlands to help actually improve the flooding situation for the surroundings etc.

14. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 7th October 2010, 9:09

Interesting rumour: Williams are faced with a mass sponsor withdrawal – RBS and Phillips and two others – and may be forced to drop Hulkenberg (hooray!) for Maldonado.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th October 2010, 9:16

Hülkenberg’s done a decent job this year considering, especially in the last few races.

Not particularly impressed by this rumour, it’s been known for ages that RBS were leaving.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 7th October 2010, 9:25

Decent, maybe. Impressive? Not very. He kept over-cooking it at the chicane in Belgium, was all over the place at Monza, once again had his chicane phobia in Singaore, not to mention ruining Petrov’s race.

But what about the other sponsors? Phillips is pretty prominent on the car, and I contribute to the Wikipedia pages on Formula 1; someone posted a story the other day that the AT&T contract runs out at the end of this year, so they could be one of the two un-named sponsors. And then there’s talk that AirAsia will cross over to Lotus, since it’s operated by Tony Fernandes. So if Williams lose RBS, Phillips, AT&T andAirAsia in one go, it’s going to hurt. And that’s before the talk of Weber asking for a pay rise on Hulkenberg’s behalf.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th October 2010, 9:33

I think with all the rookies you have to keep in mind how much harder it is for them without in-season testing.

Hülkenberg has steadily reduced the deficit to Barrichello. People were quick to notice his mistakes at Monza but don’t forget he qualified and finished in front of his team mate there.

I’m not saying Williams aren’t in trouble, by the way, I’m saying it isn’t really news.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 7th October 2010, 9:55

It’s just a rumour. I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 7th October 2010, 11:02

Not to forget Hülkenbergs brakes were failing him in Monza, making it a great effort to bring the car home and keep in front of Webber as long as he did.

I have been unimpressed with him at the start of the year, he is after all one of the few rookies who got some milage in the car before this spring. But in the last races he is showing form both in Qualifying and in races.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 7th October 2010, 11:28

Right now, he’s more of a qualifier than a racer.

15. Alex said on 7th October 2010, 9:30

Yesterday there was this video on GPUpdate about mansel losing the WDC because his tire blew. It’s strange to think that in 15 years or so Hamilton losing the 2007 WDC will be a similar famous event in racing history.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th October 2010, 9:38

It’s not the same. Mansell lost the championship when his tyre blew but for Hamilton there was one more race where he could still win it.

What finally did for his chances was the gearbox glitch at Interlagos and even then he was still able to keep going and it wasn’t clear until late in the race that he definitely wasn’t going to win the championship.

On top of that, because of ITV’s adverts, the moment the fault struck wasn’t even seen live in his home nation.

So I don’t think they’ll be seen in quite the same way.