Japanese Grand Prix practice in pictures

Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, Suzuka, 2010

Practice for the Japanese Grand Prix got underway today with Red Bull topping both sessions.

Sebastian Vettel led way sporting – yes, you guessed it – another new helmet design, this time with a Japanese flavour.

Home driver Kamui Kobayashi’s helmet also has a new look. See below for more pictures of practice at Suzuka.

2010 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Japanese Grand Prix articles

Images ?é?® Ferrari spa, www.mclaren.com, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India F1 Team, Lotus F1, BMW Sauber F1 Team, Renault/LAT, Bridgestone/Ercole Colombo, Williams/LAT, Mercedes Grand Prix

19 comments on Japanese Grand Prix practice in pictures

1. czhihong said on 8th October 2010, 10:37

Thanks for the pictures Keith.

I like this one (Vettel’s helmet). Btw the first Japanese word written there is “翼”, which means Wings. I can’t read the rest, but I hereby infer that it’s saying “Gives you wings” :)

2. I would love to have a close view of the Mclaren’s new front wing.

3. Electrolite said on 8th October 2010, 12:01

Love Kob’s helmet, really goes with the car too.

4. BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th October 2010, 12:03

Looks like Kobayashi sports a new helmet design here as well. Not sure i like how much white it has though. On one picture it shows has the red/white/gold with a little bit blue as well, that looks pretty good to me.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 8th October 2010, 18:52

The Katakana on the side says Sukarupu-D. My best guess is Scalp-D. Could Kobayashi be sponsored by a dandruff shampoo? :-)

• Wificats said on 8th October 2010, 20:16

I think that is the case, as I remember that at the start of the season people were worrying about Sauber’s finances, and it was mentioned that the only sponsorship that Kobayashi brought was from a Japanese shampoo brand.

5. xtophe said on 8th October 2010, 14:12

Classic pictures with the wheel in the background :)

6. I really like the picture of Kob watching the live TV feed from F1 management… I always wondered if the drivers were paying attention to the other drivers

7. Fixy (@fixy) said on 8th October 2010, 15:09

I’ve noticed you’ve added descriptions to the photos. Good work!

8. Great photos again – much appreciated by many of us I’m sure.

9. Adrian said on 8th October 2010, 17:51

Very interesting photo of Vettel there showing how close to the ground his front wing appears to be again…

10. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 8th October 2010, 18:54

Does anyone know what the Kanji on Button’s new helmet is?

11. Great pics Keith!!…gotta say that Vettel’s helmet is a pretty fine peice of art.

12. Mc Phisto said on 8th October 2010, 22:05

That Vettel’s RB frontal shot looks really 90s.

13. miguelF1O (@) said on 9th October 2010, 0:00

I noticed that all cars look greyer or blackish dont know why ferrari rims were black on fp1 and all cars in general looked more carbon colored theres somothing about this cameras or just the weather every year japan pics look special

14. Regis said on 9th October 2010, 0:02

How can the Red Bulls front wing still get so close to the ground? The test imposed on them cannot be accurate, they are easily finding a way around it.