Sebastian Vettel took points off team mate Mark Webber for the third race in a row, and has halved his team mate’s championship lead in that time.
Red Bull were able to translate their performance advantage into a one-two start and finish, giving them a 45-point lead in the constructors’ championship.
|Sebastian Vettel||Mark Webber|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q3)||1’30.785 (-0.068)||1’30.853|
|Average race lap||1’42.402 (-0.017)||1’42.419|
Vettel was fastest in both sessions on Friday, ending the day four tenths of a second faster than his team mate. He resumed his dominance on Sunday morning, heading all three parts of qualifying, though Webber cut his advantage to a few hundredths.
He repeated his 2009 victory from pole position, though it wasn’t quite as straightforward as last year’s race. His car twitched forward on the grid but he stopped it before the lights changed and avoided a jump-start penalty.
And he was held up by Jenson Button for 13 laps after his pit stop, though never enough for his team mate to have a go at passing him.
Lined up second on the grid alongside his team mate for the sixth time this year. Having been several tenths off Vettel’s pace in practice he had the gap down to a scant few hundredths in qualifying.
He was beaten to the first corner Robert Kubica but it didn’t matter as the Renault driver retired within a lap. After that he had an uneventful race in Vettel’s slipstream.
2010 Japanese Grand Prix
- Force India pair expect busy Friday
- Technical review: Japanese Grand Prix
- Massa pleased by di Montezemolo’s support
- Hamilton takes heart from McLaren pace
- Mercedes admit missed opportunity to keep Schumacher in front of Rosberg
- Alonso says five drivers can still win title
- 2010 Japanese Grand Prix: the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Japanese Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Dominant win for Vettel piles pressure on Webber (Red Bull race review)
- Disaster for Massa (Ferrari race review)
Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others