How Korea is supposed to look (Video)

As the FIA begin their inspection of the Korean International Circuit, Red Bull have revealed their simulation of what F1’s latest new venue should look like.

The simulation is a long way from the unfinished facility we saw footage of a few weeks ago. Will it all be ready on time – and how close will the reality be to the dream? Have a look at the video below.

The tarmac was laid at the circuit over the weekend and the FIA inspection is expected to finish tomorrow.

Here’s how Red Bull believe the track will look:

Compare that to the video shot at the circuit just over one month ago:

2010 Korean Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Korean Grand Prix articles

37 comments on How Korea is supposed to look (Video)

1. You could also check out the track in the game F1 2010, the track seems nothing special.

• Ryan F said on 11th October 2010, 11:14

Personally I dont like the track on the game, it doesn’t flow. Shame really.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 11th October 2010, 12:40

I just won a race online at Korea then!

• ElliottB said on 11th October 2010, 17:58

I actually find the track does have a flow once you’ve run it a few times. The final sector reminds me of Montreal. Middle sector reminds me of Malaysia and Istanbul. First sector is again like Malaysia and Istanbul. All without elevation change though.

Basically, off this map:

Turns 18 – 4: Malaysia (Main straights of Malaysia)
        Turns 4 – 6: Istanbul (Think the final chicanes at Istanbul)
        Turns 6 – 8: Malaysia (Sweeping S of Malaysia)
        Turns 8 – 12: Istanbul (Like corners 4 – 6 of Istanbul)
        Turns 13 – 18: Just feels like Montreal, but not really a copy by any means.

• Yeah, me too. For me the best tracks are SUZUKA, spa, barca, turkey, canada. I hate Yas Marina, Bahrain and Silverstone ( New ). Others are Meh. I love tracks which have a nice flow and rhythm to them.

BTW: try driving turkey in a long race with overcast clouds. BRILLIANT!

• EDIT: for me tracks which are built into their surroundings seem much better than tracks which are “grown” around the world. EVEN Monaco is better than Abu Dhabi. Yas Marina is THE worst circuit EVER!

• zecks said on 11th October 2010, 20:00

but this one is just weird and makes me think:
            1 It reminds me of a ridge racer track, totally soulless yet schizophrenically changing identity every quarter of a lap.
            2 How on earth will a city be sustainable in an area known for farming and little else?
            3 And even if a city was viable, how exactly would it work inside a permanent race track?

2. Loving that Redbull video.
    Just need them to build the city part and complete everything else.

3. they nearly crash into eachother in their own video too.. :\

4. BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th October 2010, 11:30

That video simulation looks great. If they are going to do these at all GPs next year that would be amazing.

The harbour itself hasn’t even been dug out, so no boats there this year. And those imagined buildings are just wishfull thinking by the developer for now.

But i would be willing to give the track a chance to prove itself.

I got the feeling RBR used some footage imaged from the Turkey crash in it (Vettel spinning across the track), liked that.

5. MikeSRandall said on 11th October 2010, 11:33

I love RBR’s opinion of Vettel’s driving!

Apparently, he’s going to start 2nd, banzai into his team-mate at turn 1, run wide at turn 2 and have a massive spin at turn 4, whilst Webber sails serenely on towards the win!

Maybe they’re rehearsing what Bernie’s got in the script for the next race…

6. UneedAFinn2Win said on 11th October 2010, 11:45

I hate those fiddly bits in the middle, it’s what killed racing indy, abu dhabi, etc…

lol, the cars were side by side most of the lap, that hasn’t happened since…since…ummm…

I is sad panda now

7. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 11th October 2010, 11:53

They’ll just have to race on the simulation rather than the real track, won’t they?

8. This not very finished infrastrcuture may actually add to the surprise element in the height of the world title fight on this brand new track where all will be equal (except cars perfomance).

• A very good point. This would indeed be a important variable. Expect the true racers ( Vet, Ham, Kub, Alg, Kob, Hulk ) to shine. NO, this does not include any Ferrari drivers :P

• Thanks @John,
        but unlike you I bet ALO will deliver much better than VET.
        VET wins usually only when he starts from P1 and doesn’t need to overtake anybody and his car is comfortably the quickest. He doesn’t really compare to ALO.
        I believe Korea track suits top 3 teams approx equally well, so this could be really entertaining.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 11th October 2010, 20:03

I think RBR will lock out the front row again unless they screw up bad. At least half the circuit is tailor made for their car. McLaren’s only hope is gonna be to qualify close and use their superior straight line speed to overtake on the long straight in the first lap. If an RB6 can make it to the corners on the first lap it will walk away from the field.

• I was actually looking from the point of view of quali. No one really knows which vettel will be driving on Sunday. Vettel and Webber both really need to be in front to have any chance of winning any race. The same is not true for the other 3.

9. Wow, this is a much more glossy version of the usual simulator previews they do before the race.

I’m dying to hear the opinion of drivers about the track

10. Stefanauss said on 11th October 2010, 12:06

This CGI footage it’s amazing, it clearly illustrate the one and only way RBR can lose this championship.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 11th October 2010, 12:16

Another victory for Seb, and we will see some some of that masked hate on the race track between Mark and Seb. It would be great to see Fernando pull off a Kimi 2007 in Abu Dhabi.

11. Mahir C said on 11th October 2010, 12:13

I dont know which is more horrible, track or that music in the second video!

I especially like the serious preperations of drivers getting ready for a Sunday drive on an unfinished circuit.

Still, if that many people turned up for that non-race, the grandstands will be packed full for the F1 race.

12. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 11th October 2010, 12:25

Every time I see a simulation of Korea I get even more worried about how boring it will look. Until I think about how the track will be brand new and maybe produce another Montreal-style race. The layout remains too twisty, though.

13. glue (@glue) said on 11th October 2010, 12:37

the high speed corners aren’t bad, actually..but the first sector is expendable

14. claudioff said on 11th October 2010, 13:14

The most virtual thing in this video is 5 overtaking/attempts between the Red Bull drivers and none crash.

15. so that’s mean in the future, part of that circuit will be like a street circuit. is that so? after all the building in that city center is build and the city itself become alive in the future.