Who was the best driver of the Japanese Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

Start, Suzuka, 2010

Which driver did the best job during the Japanese Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Japanese Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Japanese Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel, 1st – Second win in two races at Suzuka, dominated the whole weekend.

Fernando Alonso, 3rd – Third was the best on offer and he took it.

Lewis Hamilton, 5th – Impressively quick in qualifying despite few practice laps, showed pace in the race too but had some dreadful luck.

Kamui Kobayashi, 7th – Gutsy overtaking moves on hard and soft tyres.

Robert Kubica, DNF – Showed great pace by out-qualifying Fernando Alonso and launched himself into second in the start. Pity they didn’t bolt his wheels on properly.

Compare all the drivers

You can review what happened to each driver in the race and compare their race data with their team mates using the links below:

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Nico H???lkenberg
Renault: Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Sakon Yamamoto and Bruno Senna
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Nick Heidfeld
Virgin: Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most in the Japanese Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Japanese Grand Prix weekend?

• Jenson Button (1%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (7%)
  • Michael Schumacher (5%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (9%)
  • Mark Webber (1%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Fernando Alonso (7%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Nico H???lkenberg (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (59%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (2%)

Total Voters: 2,743

Loading ... Loading ...

Singapore Grand Prix result

Fernando Alonso was voted the best driver of the Singapore Grand Prix weekend. Here are the top three drivers as voted for by you:

1. Fernando Alonso, 43%
2. Robert Kubica, 31%
3. Mark Webber, 10%

2010 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Japanese Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

108 comments on Who was the best driver of the Japanese Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

1. Put Kobayashi in the Red Bull and Vettel in the Sauber and then compare. Vettel is a fast DRIVER when out front and not under pressure; Kobayashi is a RACER who has the knack for pulling off passes.

Koby deserves the vote.

• dragon said on 12th October 2010, 2:17

See, it’s this kind of thinking that irritates me – and that’s amazing, because I’m no Vettel fan. When Vettel was outperforming that STR the same sentiments were being thrown around. If Kamui was driving so brilliantly, he should have outqualified Nick, shouldn’t he?

• Daniel said on 12th October 2010, 3:38

Some people are better qualifiers than racers, i.e Trulli, some people are better racers than qualifiers, i.e. Brundle. Points are awarded for your position at the end of the race, not the start, so while qualifying well is an advantage, where you finish is all that counts in the end. In this case Kobyashi finished ahead of Heidfeld.

2. judo chop said on 12th October 2010, 1:55

62% of the vote for Kobayashi is ridiculous. He’s gutsy but simply too slow. Heidfeld’s just jumped into the Sauber and has out-qualified him already. I’ll cut Koba some slack because he was on hard tires but that’s still not enough of an excuse. He wouldn’t last half a season in a top team.

• Comparing a driver with ten-year of experience to a rookie that way isn’t very fair though.

• I’d call Renault a top team and Petrov is looking to stay another year…

So I don’t see why Kamui couldn’t…

• judo chop said on 12th October 2010, 11:40

Petrov, as most of the recent rookies, has been woeful. It’s only sponsorship money that’s giving him a sniff of a Renault seat next season. Don’t get me wrong. I’d love to see Kobayashi going wheel to wheel with Hamilton and Alonso (he could also show the RBs how to overtake properly) but what’s more probable is him regularly qualifying in Q2 and trailing his team mate by a second a lap.

• Kobayashi isn’t even slow. If he was slow, then he wouldn’t have been able to finish 7th. There are some drivers out there who just have better race pace, than qualifying pace.

• Anthony said on 12th October 2010, 21:08

Well.. It doesnt matters what you think, in the end Koba finished ahead of Heidfeld and was awarded more points, thats what counts.

3. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 12th October 2010, 2:24

Kamui Kobayashi & I don’t have a reason for that!!!!!!

4. czhihong said on 12th October 2010, 2:28

I voted for Vettel, but I thought Schumacher and Kubica were hugely impressive as well.

Re: Kobayashi’s qualifying, I believe he was well on course to get into the top 10 from his first two sector timings, but made a bad mistake at the last chicane and lost a second. Doesn’t excuse the fact that he didn’t qualify well, but just pointing it out.

He was awesome in the race (Unfortunately I only watched replays), but over the entire weekend, Vettel just about edges it over the race pace of Schumacher and qualifying of Kubica.

5. halfcolours said on 12th October 2010, 2:50

I think Kamui totally deserves that vote! Its fair enough to reward fernando and seb week after week for solid drives, but I don’t think anyone can doubt that such a drive as the one we saw out of the Sauber is what F1 needs! Almost as if he read the F1 in Japan article on here aye Keith? :P

6. Robbie said on 12th October 2010, 3:54

Kobayashi. Sure he screwed up his Q2 lap but generally he’s been very strong and put in an extremely good race. I think he and Hamilton are the most entertaining drivers on the grid right now, pulling gutsy moves and doing lots of overtaking.

7. Mad Eric said on 12th October 2010, 6:06

Let’s face facts. Over the weekend Koby was not the best. But who can maintain that analytical cool head when Koby raced from his heart, not his head, for himself, his Country and for ALL THE FANS. That’s why I and so many others voted for Koby. All these votes should be compulsory reading for the other 23 F1 drivers and the team managers.

8. Melchior (@melchior) said on 12th October 2010, 6:47

Banzai Kobayashi gets my vote for an entertaining race.
    Great overtaking.

9. Andy from Beaverton said on 12th October 2010, 7:08

I didn’t see Leeroy Jenkin’s name in the list?

10. Have to give it to Vettel for best driver of the weekend – Kobayashi was best driver of the race though.

11. Girts (@girts) said on 12th October 2010, 7:22

It has to be Kobayashi. Vettel was great but it was Kobayashi who showed us how racing should be.

12. someone needs to track down kamui’s email address and send this too him

13. Pink Peril said on 12th October 2010, 8:19

Well, for some reason I can’t vote, but if I could it’d be for Koby. What a drive ! And before anyone says it that its driver of the weekend – all I generally see is qualy & the race. And the race is where it counts.

14. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 12th October 2010, 8:29

Straight away I voted for Kobayashi, although thinking about it more logically Alonso and Vettel technically had better weekends.

Then again, voting with my head never was a strong point of mine…

15. infy (@infy) said on 12th October 2010, 9:15

Just curious, because I cant find it in any articles. Did Kobi use softs on the front wheels and hards on the rears? If yes, is it legal?

• Girts said on 12th October 2010, 10:58

I believe that would not be legal. Article 25.2 of F1 Sporting Regulations says: “A set of tyres will be deemed to comprise two front and two rear tyres all of which must be of the same specification.”

• I saw that too and did a double-take. When Koby had his touch with Alguersuari’s STR the green stripe got worn off so it looks like he’s got hards on the back.