Alonso says five drivers can still win title

Fernando Alonso isn’t ruling the McLaren drivers out of contention for the championship despite them falling more than 25 points behind Mark Webber in the Japanese Grand Prix.

He told the Ferrari website:

I still think that the fight for the title is open for five drivers. Too many times this year we?ve seen someone come back into the game after they?d seemed out of it ?ǣ and that could easily happen again.

Having said that, perhaps the only one who can afford a bad weekend is Webber: for all the others it would perhaps mean giving up any chance, especially the ones who are a bit behind today.
Fernando Alonso

He added he will be counting on team mate Felipe Massa to help him in the coming races:

The Korean Grand Prix could therefore start to be decisive for some ?ǣ and for me it will be important also to be able to count on my team-mate Felipe. I know that he will be really hoping to make up for two negative results and he has all the capacities required to return to the podium.

What?s more, it will be very useful to work together to discover all the secrets of the new track so we can prepare our cars in the best way. In a moment like this every detail matters to achieve our goals.
Fernando Alonso

He also gave his first impressions of the Korean International Circuit from driving it in the Ferrari simulator:

In Korea we will have to attack because now we must close the gap to Webber. To lose any more ground would make the situation more complicated.

We?ve been working on the new track for a few days on the simulator: the first two sectors are very quick with long straights while the last sector reminds me of the last part of the circuit at Abu Dhabi.

The tarmac is wide, which should make it possible to try overtaking moves. I?m always curious to discover a new circuit, both from a personal and professional point of view.

From next Wednesday onwards I will try to discover if the simulations have been accurate enough. Then we will have a few more kilometres of running available on Friday compared to usual so we can find the right feeling on the track.
Fernando Alonso

2010 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Japanese Grand Prix articles

95 comments on Alonso says five drivers can still win title

1. Scalextric said on 13th October 2010, 4:39

I’m trying not to mentally deduct 7 points from you, Fernando. Honest. It’s a stretch but maybe we could have had 6 drivers in this battle if your beloved team mate hadn’t been demoted and demoralized.

• RaulZ (@raulz) said on 13th October 2010, 11:07

Being obsessed with the 7 points from Hockenheim is an futil exercise. I did it in 2007 and 2008 with Hamilton and his aids and eventually decided that Hamilton is a great driver and everything else is secondary. Both Hamilton and Alonso will enjoy their championship no matter what we think. So we don’t have to be outraged because this is useless.

• Scalextric said on 14th October 2010, 3:24

I’m not outraged though I know some were at the time. I’m peeved, maybe. Certainly not obsessed, I agree that would be futile. But I can also have an opinion, of course..

• RaulZ (@raulz) said on 14th October 2010, 8:01

Sure, I see your opinion natural because nobody wants to see ugly things like Ferrari does. But when the things are decided, there’s no way to go on complaining. FIA decides and we have to finish complains because FIA always was and allways will be the guilty of most of the problems of F1.

I don’t have to say how angry was Spain after things like Valencia or Silverstone or any other examples related to other drivers or teams.

The idea of diminishing the value of a championship achieved, apart from many jokes read here that I have to admit they are funny, is a despicable practice. So all I get is that drivers will not take into account our opinion.

In us, it just causes an exchange of “examples weapons” in which the common denominator are the inconsistencies of the FIA decitions, while we blame de drivers or the teams.

2. Hamish said on 13th October 2010, 7:11

Personally I’m hoping for a result in Korea whereas Webber can wrap up the championship in Brazil with a victory.

Each to their own of course.

3. truthnhonesty said on 13th October 2010, 7:45

Okay, now we know that Alonso is at least not that bad in mathematics. How smart to realise that 5 drivers can still become champion!
    Anyway, dont worry, Fernando! FIA, Ferrari and Berlusconis “we make our own rules”-Mafia will make sure that ONLY you will be Champion in the end.

4. RaulZ (@raulz) said on 13th October 2010, 11:26

Well, Alonso knows maths but he knows more than i.e. Hamilton who see himself out of the championship. As most of you have calculated, it’s difficult for Hamilton to win but not impossible.

For example Vettel was out two weeks ago, and now he’s in, after a race were nobody crashed. Imagine if some of them cash, which happens almost always.

Alonso says that we’ve seen many times this year how someone that is out of Championship, the next week is in.

Anyway, don’t you think that this twesday communications are written by Ferrari’s public relations? They are so measured… I wouldn’t give much credibility about if that’s Alonso thinking.

He’d be probably thinking:
    “mmm I have to win, if massa crossed his car on the road on first lap… If Charlie Withing wouldn’t hate me so much… if crash kids go on crashing… If Webber has a constipate or better a diarrhea… yes I have chances. I just have to have the team with me… well that’s no problem. Yes I can win because I’m the best.. well, everybody says that… even in F1Fanatic, if you see the pools… YES, I WILL WIN, even if it’s by 1 point, that would be great to see Prisioner monkey’s face. He thinks I mind his opinion, but I really don’t mind that silly details. The winner is who has more points. That was all the time, and that will be…”

I hope you like my invention. I think is more probable than team’s marketing and communication.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th October 2010, 11:30

Vettel was out two weeks ago, and now he’s in

Says who?

• RaulZ (@raulz) said on 13th October 2010, 12:10

Well, “many” people was debating about giving all chances in RBR to Webber some races ago. Now, it’s being said that Hamilton is out, even he almost says that. Alonso was out in Spa and now he’s in. I mean that most of the chances are Webber’s if everything is normal, but nothing is normal this year.

You never said Vettel was out (for you even Massa was in) and I never said so aswell, but you cannot deny that many people has thought many times that some of the 5 drivers were out in any ocasion, and later they were in.

Hopes have been developed by people in here and everybody can see that despite that probability of winning gives 17% to Alonso and 5% to Hamilton, both can win the championship in many simulations. The same %to Vettel and Button.

5. Hamish said on 13th October 2010, 13:12

Love him or hate him, you must give Alonso his dues.

This is a man who after the British GP this year (round 10) claimed “we will win the championship” even though he had only 98 points to the then leaders (Hamilton) 145. At the time next to no one took him seriously and even laughed at him as he simply was never considered a championship contender after Bahrain, and was even ridiculed in the media and on certain forums for his performances up until then.

One must admire his commitment and determination. I think out of all drivers on the grid, this man wants the championship the most.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 13th October 2010, 14:32

Was he ever going to say they weren’t in the championship? Would anyone else?

• chemakal said on 13th October 2010, 16:07

Hammilton seems to be seeing himself out of the tittle (he must know deep inside that he is no good under pressure despite bad luck in Japan). If Fernando makes it in the end, it will most probably be with less than 7 points difference to the second… uh! that will be fun. I’ll be a much more frequent visitor to this blog…

• Hamish said on 13th October 2010, 20:51

Sorry, Icthyes, have you heard anyone else this year lay out the claim that they will win the championship? Yes, we have quotes of drivers saying they need to be in the hunt and they will try to win the championship, but from my memory Fernando is the only who has come and stated he will win it.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 13th October 2010, 22:42

That’s not answering my question though, is it? I didn’t say so would everyone else, I asked if anyone would say they weren’t. Remember Alonso is speaking to a different audience too.

• Hamish said on 14th October 2010, 2:41

Well yes. This year, and previous years when drivers were still in with a mathematical chance they were realistic on their chances even if it meant conceding defeat, including Alonso when driving for Renault.

6. The Limit said on 13th October 2010, 20:19

Five can win the title, but only one probably will and that is Fernando. The other four will be told to move aside and let him past by Rob Smedley.
    “Mark, Seb, Jenson and Lewis, Fernando is faster than you”!

• chemakal said on 14th October 2010, 14:06

Thx for your contribution. I’m sure your post has helped us all to work out the next champion.. maybe they get told to “save fuel”

• Patrickl said on 14th October 2010, 22:18

You mean like they told Massa because otherwsie Alonso couldn’t keep up with Massa let alone overtake him?

7. Astonished said on 13th October 2010, 22:32

Lewis tried to take pressure out of him by saying “title a tough task now” (wonder when is it not tough, or we should concede that lewis as good as maths as Fernando)) and Fernando send the pressure back to him (and Jenson) by saying “it’s a 5 men business”
    Not rocket science, just psycho games.
    If we take everything literally, this (and any other blog or news) would be rather boring. Most things we express here are as obvious as the above statements by our beloved drivers, but we are not deterred.
    We mostly express passion, emotions and hopes and we have fun at it.
    Otherwise, chemakal’s post on the % of the 2 million most likely combinations would have made the last entry. Mathematically there is few else to add…