Nick Heidfeld has raised concerns over the track surface at the Korean International Circuit ahead of its inaugural race next week.
The Sauber driver said:
At the moment hardly anyone knows exactly what to expect on site. I am very curious to see the track and the facilities.
From a driver?óÔé¼Ôäós perspective the most important thing is that the tarmac lasts. If the final layer is laid a short time before, it is generally understood it can be oily which, of course, would be extremely problematic.
But I can only give any informed information about the quality and lay-out of the track once I have driven there. Generally I welcome new venues because they provide a special driving challenge, and for a World Championship it is positive to race in as many countries as possible.
Heidfeld did a demonstration run in South Korea two years ago but team mate Kamui Kobayashi is visiting the country for the first time:
I am very excited about going to the next Grand Prix. After the race in Suzuka I am even more motivated.
I went straight to Tokyo to stay there until I have to travel to South Korea. I had a couple of promotional activities and meetings, but also time to relax and do some sports in order to prepare for the next race. I always enjoy nice warm weather, and also it was good for me to stay in the same time zone instead of flying back and forth to Europe. I have never been to South Korea.
At some circuits this year other drivers have had an advantage in terms of knowing the track, but this time it is the same for everybody. I am very much looking forward to discovering the circuit.
2010 Korean Grand Prix
- Mercedes deny Massa held up Schumacher for Alonso
- Korea say 168,000 attended first F1 race
- Alonso not considering Brazil title win
- Hamilton: Alonso would have passed me
- Button: “I will fight until it’s impossible”
- Horner hits back over Webber criticism
- Korean International Circuit: your verdict
- Montezemolo: “We haven’t won yet”
- 2010 Korean Grand Prix: the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Korean Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)