Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Vettel and Webber re-create famous photograph

The famous photograph of 1986 world championship contenders Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet has been re-created by the five drivers in contention for the 2010 drivers’ title.

Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber, Jenson Button and Sebastian Vettel posed together and with Bernie Ecclestone at the Korean International Circuit. See below for pictures.

Senna, Prost, Mansell and Piquet were photographed together in the dying stages of the 1986 season when all four were in contention for the championship. It was eventually won by Prost.

All four drivers went on to win further championships after the photograph was taken. Between them they won all bar two of the world championships from 1981 to 1993. Will this quintet go on to have a similar kind of success?

2010 Korean Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Korean Grand Prix articles

Images ?? Ferrari spa, Red Bull/Getty images

89 comments on Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Vettel and Webber re-create famous photograph

1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st October 2010, 9:17

I see Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Vettel, Webber and … is that a ventriloquist’s dummy?

2. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 21st October 2010, 9:20

Yep. But with Renault improving, with Kubica in the form he is in, I would expect it to be a sextet soon. By the way, I really love these pictures. They are probably some of the nicest photos I have seen – and probably the best photos of the 2010 season. Lets hope all 5 are still in contention by Abu Dhabi. :)

3. Rahzam said on 21st October 2010, 9:28

I see brotherly love between Hamilton and Alonso. :D

• Julian (@julian) said on 21st October 2010, 9:57

When i saw the headline the first thing i thought was: “there is no way in hell Alonso and Hamilton will be next to each other.”

Man was I shocked haha :)

• Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 21st October 2010, 10:04

Alonso always said his problem was with the team, and that he gets on with Hamilton. Whether he is being truthful is another matter!

• BasCB said on 21st October 2010, 12:40

Like you new avatar Ned!

I think Alonso does not look compeletly comfortable there.

And Webber is just so big compared to the likes of Lewis, Seb and Fred as well as Bernie. Only Button comes close.

• I think, they stand both stood beside each other on purpose so that media/grapevine doesnt get chance to again go back to HUNGARY 2007 . ;)

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st October 2010, 13:43

Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber “A black racing driver!?”

Lewis Hamilton: “It worked for the Sheriff in BLAZING SADDLES.”

• demos12 said on 21st October 2010, 14:35

Fernando:
        Well guys, you see, I have the best plan to win. I pit, and then the next lap my team mate crashes, I win. Nobody blames me for having my team mate favour me, and that is why I do not like you lewis, you did not crash for me
        Lewis:
        But my boss says that I could have more world championships than Michael Schumacher, although he suddenly doesn’t seem to be as good.
        Mark:
        umm guys, I think we all know who is leading the 2010 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

• alonso and lewis have got on fine for quite a while. its all press BS. of course they arent best chums. but id be more concerned if they were good mates.

these 2 are great, generally fair racers. the 2 stand out performers. they are yet to seriously come to blows on the track either. except bahrain 08 which lewis rightly put his hands up to.

look at canada wheel to wheel time and time again without the slightest bit of over the top driving.

there is true respect there IMO

• Wobblebottom said on 21st October 2010, 23:24

I agree. It’s something I’ve been espousing for ages!! As you say it’s all press BS, Legard and Brundle are also guilty of making something out of nothing as well

Does make for good telly I suppose…

4. Great photos, but they do feel a little less iconic than the originals due to the building site setting!

5. Calum said on 21st October 2010, 9:37

I love the cover of F1 racing this month, it’s also featuring the 5 contendors.

6. Griggs said on 21st October 2010, 9:48

Awesome photos. 4 world champions and Vettel :D

7. gabal (@gabal) said on 21st October 2010, 10:22

At least Bernie didn’t grab somebody’s crotch like last time they were recreating that photo. Why is he in most of this pictures anyway?

8. Lustigson said on 21st October 2010, 10:23

Looking at which driver had taken how many WDCs at the time the 1986 picture was taken, it’s interesting to speculate on which current driver matches with their predecessors.

Of course, Piquet had already taken 2 WDCs prior to the 1986 season, so he matches with Alonso. And Prost had won the 1985 title, which matches him with Hamilton.
    Mansell hadn’t actually won any championship yet, but was close to it in ’86 and ’87, so I’ll link him up to Button, who won last year’s title.

Since Senna was only in his 3rd full season, seen as a future title winner, he matches with Vettel. Webber is the odd one out, in this comparison, then, although one could say that he’s the perfect underdog driver, comparable to Mansell, in a way.

Adding any titles that the 1986 generation won after the iconic photograph to the current generation, means that alonso will take another WDC, Hamilton another 3 titles, and Vettel 3 championships, too. Button won’t win again, since he’s already equal with Mansell, while Webber, when matching him to Mansell, will take 1 WDC (this year’s?).

• LewisC said on 21st October 2010, 12:06

Interesting thinking… Webber’s favourite for this year, I can see Alonso getting next year’s title if not this year, and Hamilton and Vettel are young enough to be fighting it out for another decade :)

• Jim N said on 21st October 2010, 17:29

Statistically, as over 70% of the WDC’s have been won by drivers that have won it more than once, that would clearly make Alonso favourite with Vittel and Webber the underdogs. Whatever the outcome I can see Alonso, Hamilton and Vittel being the men to beat for many years to come, on the other hand even if they win the WDC, I personally don’t think Button and Webber will still be around in a couple of years time.

• Joey-Poey said on 21st October 2010, 19:50

Honestly, Button is a better fit for Prost than Hamilton seeing as how Prost fought for years for that first title AND if Prost was the champion in ’85, Button is the ’09 champion, not Hamilton. I’d also point out that in 86 Prost came in from behind to pip Piquet and Mansell in the final race in Australia. Right now Button is the farthest back of the bunch in points.

Not to mention the similarities in driving style.

9. sato113 (@sato113) said on 21st October 2010, 10:31

can’t vettel look at the camera???

didn’t schumacher and hakkinen have the famous photo taken too?

10. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 21st October 2010, 10:35

Nice photo, & also the one way back in 1986.They were four of the best driver of their time, do missed them. Thankfully Star Sports will show some of those classic races in Asia in November-December.

11. Larcem said on 21st October 2010, 10:43

this is awesome. best season in years.

12. Truly adore this pic….this is my wall paper now

13. F1iLike said on 21st October 2010, 10:48

I expected to see the original photo too…

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 21st October 2010, 11:57

There’s a link to it in the first sentence.

• Cranberry said on 21st October 2010, 16:50

“Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Vettel and Webber re-create famous photograph”

HAHAHA!
        Given the actual WDC standings, I applaude you for not missing yet another chance to put the british drivers first.

Ofcourse it took some reading between the lines on my part, but you can’t deny the subliminal message there…

Out of all those guys in the picture Webber has done the best job this year and he’s the most deserving man to get the trophy, and you still manage to mention his name AFTER the british driver with only 2 lucky victories and zero overtakes the entire season….

Superb impartiality from a journalistic point of view. :)

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 21st October 2010, 16:56

If it makes you feel better I could re-order the names in the headline by championship position? Or alphabetically? Or in order of their birthdays?

I ask because although it means nothing to me it’s clearly upsetting you.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 22nd October 2010, 0:26

@Cranberry – I would be extremely surprised if anyone other than yourself even noticed that, let alone worried about it! May I ask how long you have been reading F1F for? Because if it is anything over 1 day then you will be too aware Keith is most definitely a journalist who always adopts an impartial standpoint, irrespective of nationality.

• Marcello said on 22nd October 2010, 16:06

damon, im afraid your absolutely wrong, in fact I asked Keith just a few days ago some questions and while chatting he actually told me that he has never claimed to be a “neutral”…I also asked him who he supports but he didn’t want to reply. In fact we all know that he supports hamilton and button..

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd October 2010, 16:16

I haven’t claimed to be neutral, nor have I claimed to support any particular driver (or team).

• Marcello said on 22nd October 2010, 16:03

Cramberry I just wanted to say how spot on you are, and how much i agree with you…I’m glad i’m not the only one whos noticed it…..

14. michael said on 21st October 2010, 10:54

In the original Prost was sitting second in from left, where Alonso is now. Omen?

15. devotee said on 21st October 2010, 11:00

There was a similar photo with schumi, dc, hakkinen and rubens in 2000.