Black and gold livery for 2011 Lotus

2011 F1 season

Ayrton Senna, Lotus-Renault 97T, 1985

Ayrton Senna, Lotus-Renault 97T, 1985

Lotus will evoke memories of their John Player Special era by running their 2011 car in a black and gold livery.

Lotus Racing chief executive Riad Asmat said:

When we first unveiled our 2010 car there was unanimous praise for our decision to bring the historic green and yellow livery back to the modern F1 grid.

I know the return to the track of the legendary black and gold will be met with even more universal support as it strikes such an emotional chord with fans around the world.

Giving those fans the chance to help us bring it back to the contemporary grid is true to our core belief of putting our supporters right at the heart of Lotus Racing ?ǣ we can?t wait to show the world what we come up with.
Riad Asmat

Head of marketing Silvi Schaumloeffel said the team want fans to contribute their designs for the 2011 car livery:

We have worked all year to make sure our fans are given unprecedented access to our team. We are all very excited about the move to a black and gold paint scheme for next season, and we want our fans to help us design the livery that will be racing around the world next year.

We will shortly be announcing exactly how the fans can take part in our design process, so keep an eye on our website for more details.

The person who designs the livery we finally choose will be joining us at our first test next year to see the car out on track for the very first time, so for Lotus and F1 fans it is the chance of a lifetime to help us take the next step forward in our amazing story in 2011.
Silvi Schaumloeffel

The John Player Special livery first appeared on the Lotus 72 in 1972 and the cars later changed their names to ‘John Player Specials’ for several years.

Aside from a brief interruption from 1979 to 1981, when Martini and Essex took over, Lotuses remained in John Player colours until 1986. The 98T was last black-and-gold Lotus, and it was also their last Renault-powered car.

Lotus’s 2011 car will be powered by a Renault engine and use a gearbox and hydraulic system supplied by Red Bull.

The team have also announced they will revive the “Team Lotus” name in 2011, but are presently in dispute with Lotus cars manufacturer Group Lotus over their right to do so.

Lotus naming rights row

Browse all articles on the Lotus naming rights row

98 comments on Black and gold livery for 2011 Lotus

1 2 3 4
  1. RIISE (@riise) said on 11th November 2010, 9:04

Yes, what great news. I always loved the look of that Lotus. It’s the same with Renault, the cars of that era were Black and Yellow and I was so glad to see it back.

• TommyC said on 11th November 2010, 10:17

now just stick heidfeld in it with his new helmet and my god that’ll look awesome

• matt90 said on 11th November 2010, 12:36

I’m not 100% sure I like this actually. The JPS livery looks great, but there’s something cheap about dragging it back when JPS actually has nothing to do with it. Will 2012 be Gold Leaf? 2013 Camel? Back to green and yellow in 2014 etc?

2. Chris P said on 11th November 2010, 9:05

I really hope this Group Lotus/Team Lotus saga is sorted very soon otherwise it is going to become very confusion for the casual fan.

• Chris P said on 11th November 2010, 9:06

*Confusing.

Note to self: When changing a typed comment, reread it before clicking the ‘Submit comment’ button!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th November 2010, 9:13

I know, I need to do the same with publishing articles sometimes :-)

• Jonathan said on 11th November 2010, 9:21

or just an edit button.

• Chris P said on 11th November 2010, 10:18

I sometimes want to offer to proof read for you but I realise the time constraints on such articles prevent this. And I know I’m not perfect when it comes to these things, but two pairs of eyes are better than one.

Let’s face it Keith, we don’t pay for access to your site and you do a brilliant job, especially since you went full time. I hope you still enjoy it as much as before and it is paying it’s way for you.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th November 2010, 12:29

Absolutely :-)

You’re dead right though, it’s hard to spot mistakes in your own copy – especially something that’s gone through several revisions.

• Nathan Bradley said on 12th November 2010, 20:44

Reply to Chris P and Keith:

I know what you mean Chris, I sometimes do it as well and Keith; if you do want a proof reader, I’ll be happy to volunteer my services.

Nathan

• Nothing wrong with making mistakes. I do hate it when certain other sites are notified of their errors yet still don’t fix them.

• synapse said on 11th November 2010, 12:23

Yes, that is the worst. I unsubscribed from all the feeds of the major F1 sites because of the sheer number of mistakes (content not typos) they made and not bothering to fix them after I contacted them.
            I guess many of the journos that create content for large news corporations don’t really care about the sport so the result is pretty mediocre compared to sites such as F1F that is run by enthusiasts.

• claudioff said on 12th November 2010, 12:37

Because English is, obviously, not my native language, I usually write in English my comments directly in the google translator. If the translation makes sense in my native language I copy and post them. I avoid, at least, typos.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th November 2010, 12:40

I would respectfully encourage you not to do that and instead only comment on sites where you can read and write in that language confidently. Automatic translations are shaky at best and you’re only going to confuse people by doing that.

I’ve seen people post comments on here before which I think were produced by automatic translators and they’re very hard to understand. Please don’t do it.

• claudioff said on 12th November 2010, 17:14

This remind me, very respectfully, that joke:
            Question: How to call a person that speaks many languages?
            Answer: A polyglot.
            Question: How to call a person that speaks two languages?
            Answer: A bilingual.
            Question: How to call a person that speaks only one language?
            Answer: An american.
            But I think you could very easily change the final of the joke. Good luck with your british site.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th November 2010, 18:16

That isn’t what I meant at all – my point was don’t post comments that have been spat out by an automatic translator and don’t make any sense.

• claudioff said on 12th November 2010, 20:36

First I would like to apologize for everyone that could be offended by the above joke. Anyone who ever tried to communicate in a foreinger language knows how hard is to do it properly. I successfuly did two English exams, TOEFL and IELST, but, since this is the only place where I currently write in English, I try to be extra careful.
            I share your concerns about the results of the current translation engines. As I said, I write my posts in English. I mainly use the google translator to catch typos which, by the way, seems to be a problem for a lot of people ; ). If the translation to my native language does not make perfect sense, I usually simplify the phrase. If I think the English phrase is grammatically correct but, even so, the translator can´t translate it properly, I google the English phrase. If I find this phrase in many sites I feel confortable about using it. I have all this extra work because this is an English site and feel I must be respectfull about this. I wouldn´t dare to use a translate engine to post, for instance, in a french site.

• Hey it’s ok Claudioff. We’re all fans here. Keith has to manage the nutters so he’s pretty strict.

Peace brother! :D

• karan01 (@karan01) said on 11th November 2010, 11:04

I think the casual fan will just call it Lotus.

• Chris P said on 11th November 2010, 15:21

Which one though? We are going to have a Group Lotus Renault (Proton Group) and a Team Lotus Renault (Current 1Malasysia Lotus Racing Team).

3. Prisoner Monkeys said on 11th November 2010, 9:05

I think I just had an aneurysm or an orgasm and I’m not entirely sure which one it is …

4. Eggry (@eggry) said on 11th November 2010, 9:13

I just wonder they could keep Lotus branding…

5. Adrian said on 11th November 2010, 9:21

Fantastic. And I will certainly be submitting a design for that competition!!

6. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 11th November 2010, 9:31

Not excited in the least.

Whilst it’ll be nice to have another black car in F1 to show off the design, I never saw the fuss over the JPS livery. It’s mostly black with a bit of gold. It’s nice. That’s it.

7. UneedAFinn2Win said on 11th November 2010, 9:32

YYYEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!

Sorry for the screaming, but this is what I was hoping for this year.
    Awesome.

• TomD11 said on 11th November 2010, 10:26

LOL yeah me too, although I never thought they would. Let me follow that with a

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Now they just need to sign Bruno ;)

8. great but is that livery will stay if they have to change their name?

9. Prisoner Monkeys said on 11th November 2010, 9:51

Okay, so I’m not too handy with graphics progams, but here’s what I’m thinking: something similar to this year’s livery, but with matte black in the place of British Racing Green. The stripe down the nose remains in place, but is gold. It runs the length of the nose, and then splits in two around the cockpit. As it goes further back along the chassis, it splits again and again into superfine strands that segue from gold to white. Each strand follows the contours of the car as they twist and weave around. All the sponsor logos would be in gold, with the car numbers where they could be read (like on the air intake rollhoop). And finally, across the back side of the rear wing, is a message in gold block letters: START ME UP!

10. infy (@infy) said on 11th November 2010, 9:52

A black F1 car would look awesome!

11. Jonesracing82 said on 11th November 2010, 9:54

all we need now is for the Bruno Senna rumour to become reality…..

• Daffid said on 11th November 2010, 10:21

It’s looking more likely with this announcement, though I don’t see what he’s done yet to deserve what could be a very promising drive

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 11th November 2010, 10:24

Actually, I don’t think Senna has anything to do with this annoucement. Senna himself has rubbiched the rumours that he’s off to Lotus next year.

12. rampante (@rampante) said on 11th November 2010, 10:09

how many people slated Ferrari for a bar code and now a black and gold car is the ‘JPS’ Lotus. Hope there is no subliminal message there.:)

• Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 11th November 2010, 10:25

Hah I thought that too… some nice free advertising for JPS

• LewisC said on 11th November 2010, 10:51

Do JPS smokes still exist?

/non-smoker

• I’ll be selling them tomorrow… So I suspect they do exist. Although I’ve noticed Marlboro don’t sell well, perhaps when people think of them, they go and buy a Ferrari instead.

• Yes, the guys at Imperial Tobacco must have some big grins at the moment. But is also clearly shows the power of a great colour scheme, 14 years after it’s last use and it still has strong associations. Can’t say any of the current crop of colour schemes have that effect (Ferrari excepted!)

• graigchq said on 11th November 2010, 11:38

I work at Imperial Tobacco Head office in Bristol, and the thought of free advertising would certainly go down well, as it stands, Tobacco products cannot be advertised in F1, so we’re limited to Rizla (MotoGP). A virtual JPS livery would not harm us in the slightest!!!

13. The livery was popular because it had Senna and it was winning races, not the other way around.

This is meaningless unless next year’s Lotus is fast.

• The livery was popular from the 1st day it was used. Yes I’m old enough to remember, and Lotus road cars in the livery commanded a premium. That was years before Senna.

• Second that Jim N. In UK at least, that JPS Lotus was the best looking F1 car by a street. It was simply…..elegant. If what Lotus ( or whatever they call themselves next season ) create is even half as good as the old design, it will be the best looking car on the grid.

And as a life-long non-smoker I can tell you that, as far as we fans were concerned in those days, the source of all the money and it’s deadly associations were entirely submergedin the euphoria of the Lotus marque’s s tremendous success.

• matt90 said on 11th November 2010, 19:33

jps was also used on the iconic 72

14. Daffid said on 11th November 2010, 10:20

I’ve always wanted to see a Black and Gold 1TeamMalaysia… wonder what colour the forthcoming Lotus/Renaults will be?

joke

15. Prisoner Monkeys said on 11th November 2010, 10:27

The only problem with a black and gold Lotus liver is that it means we lose the British Racing Green one. It’s a shame British Racing Green and black are a terrible combination.

1 2 3 4