Michael Schumacher said he spun of his own accord on lap one, triggering the crash that put him out.
|Michael Schumacher||Nico Rosberg|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q3)||1’40.516 (-0.073)||1’40.589|
Pipped Rosberg to eighth on the grid by less than a tenth of a second.
Tried to pass Rubens Barrichello into the chicane on lap one but found his team mate coming by on the outside.
Schumacher spun and was collected heavily by Vitantonio Liuzzi.
He said he lost control of the car himself:
I went off the line, spun and because of the dirt there, the back of the car just came around. It’s a shame obviously as I would have liked to finish the season with a more positive ending but I am already looking forward to fighting again next year.
I would like to say thank you to everybody in our team for all of their hard work.
Second and third in the first two parts of qualifying on the medium tyre, but was almost half a second slower when he switched to the super-softs in Q3, leaving him ninth.
Muscled his way past Schumacher on the first lap, then dived into the pits under the resulting safety car to switch to the medium compound tyres. After that he had a uneventful run to fourth place:
I’m very pleased with fourth place and it’s the best that we could have hoped for from my grid position. Special thanks to Ross and James Vowles for a great strategy today.
We had a good pace on the [medium] tyres, just like in qualifying, and I was able to make the most of that performance when it mattered.
2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Drivers’ and teams’ end-of-season photographs
- Alonso’s role in Ferrari strategy revealed in pit messages
- Hamilton: McLaren learned a lot in 2010
- Button vows to address qualifying weakness
- Vettel ends season on a high to snatch title
- Ferrari hit back at criticism of race strategy
- McLaren rediscover their form at final race
- New engines help Renault to best result of 2010
- Schumacher not blaming Rosberg for crash