Toyota Motorsport end HRT support

2010 F1 season

Christian Klien, HRT, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Christian Klien, HRT, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Toyota Motorsport say they are no longer offering support to HRT.

A statement issued by the company said:

Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG) confirms that all cooperation with Hispania Racing F1 Team (HRT) has been terminated and will not resume.

TMG retains all intellectual property rights to its current F1 car and is completely free to pursue other projects and support new customers for its high-performance engineering services.

TMG regrets that HRT has not met its contractual payment obligations and will pursue all available options to reach a satisfactory conclusion to this matter.

Toyota Motorsport has acted as an engineering services supplier since its Cologne-based team withdrew from Formula 1 at the end of last year. Its facilities includ a wind tunnel and driving simulator.

HRT’s 2010 car, the F110, was designed by Dallara, who the team split from in May of this year.

Update: HRT have released a short statement saying only: “Hispania Racing is very surprised about Toyota’s Press Statement released this afternoon and?? this matter will be a subject of further clarification.”

Image ?? Motioncompany

46 comments on Toyota Motorsport end HRT support

1. Rob Haswell said on 15th November 2010, 17:42

I wonder where this will leave them with a car next year, having apparently systematically ****** off anyone who could supply a chassis

• They have no money…no major sponsors…and their 2011 car is going to be even slower than this year if they are this late in thinking about it…they should sell their entry to a team that is keen on actually racing

2. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 15th November 2010, 17:42

HRT has an awful record for meeting its payments for its cars.

Looks like they are in deep trouble over the winter.

3. Sush Meerkat said on 15th November 2010, 17:50

Reminds me of the boat Spyker/Force India were in through there formative years.

Mike Gasgoyne
    “Hi Mr Sponsor, you know that fuel rig Christian ripped off by driving out of the pits with it still attached?, could you pay for that?”
    Mr Sponsor
    “ermm, no.”

• Wasn’t that managed by the same Kolles at the time? Even the driver chairdance is similar.

That said, I suspect they lured enough people away from TMG to enable Geoff Wills to design a reasonable car with the Williams rear end.

4. Nathan said on 15th November 2010, 17:50

im quessing by the end of 2011 hrt will be in lots of debt from not being able to meet payments

5. I wonder how HRT will develop their 2011 car now, considering they already looked set to be the worst team for next year. However I still thought they might improve seeing as they recently signed a new sponsor and got Klien in the car instead of Yamamoto who doesn’t deserve to be in F1.

• The first thing any team needs is money.
      If HRT really are in trouble, then I doubt sacrificing Sakon’s money would actually help, at all.
      On the other hand, I suspect that it’s got more to do with either a) Sakon’s money running out, or b) HRT being in a better financial state than you might expect.

6. synapseza said on 15th November 2010, 17:59

Have we heard anything about their plans for next year? I can’t recall any. I won’t be surprised if they disappear over the winter.

• Sush Meerkat said on 15th November 2010, 18:01

They are buying Williams drivetrain and gearboxs, and Williams aren’t slouches with their gearbox’s.

The problem is HRT can muster up a bit of cash for a gearbox I’m sure, but they don’t have a manufacturing plant, so cutting off ties with Dallara was pretty silly.

• synapseza said on 15th November 2010, 18:11

Oops my bad :) Completely forgot about that. Lets hope they pay Williams at least.

I am gutted that Virgin finished last in the championship – they at least look like a F1 team. I don’t get the point of HRT to be honest – none of their own developments, pay drivers and almost no sponsors.

• Hope it’ll be enough for them to beat Virgin again, but I don’t think so.

7. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 15th November 2010, 18:30

How much support had Toyota offered them to begin with? And how much did they supply before the deal was aborted? Because it’s sounding to me as if this was over before it began.

8. dyslexicbunny said on 15th November 2010, 18:40

What a mess HRT is. I honestly don’t see them making the grid next year unless something magical happens.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 16th November 2010, 20:08

What a mess Colin Kolles is. I honestly don’t see them making the grid next year unless something magical happens.

Fixed.

• I don’t agree, He’s got them through 2010. Which in itself is a minor miracle.
        I think he is doing a very good job. Peter window and the other guy from USF1 where thought of far more highly, and look where they ended up!

9. NickTheGeek (@nickthegeek) said on 15th November 2010, 18:47

I suspect the deal was for Toyota to design and maybe even build the 2011 car. The part of the statement that reads that they retain intellectual property makes me suspect they may want to try and sell whatever data / designs they worked on to another team.

• Adam Tate said on 16th November 2010, 0:58

I’m just sad Toyota didn’t race their 2010 car, it was a great design and I think it would have been at the sharp end of the field and made the championship even closer.

Curse you Toyota, you leave just when you’ve figured out how to build a good car, your road cars are boring as hell and your quality has gone to crap.

• Mike-e said on 16th November 2010, 4:23

you mean the exact same thing honda did with the brawn bgp001…….

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 16th November 2010, 20:09

Yep. It could’ve been another Brawn if someone could’ve gotten their hands on it. Kind of makes me wish StefanGP had been allowed to race, as chaotic as that would’ve been.

10. mharries said on 15th November 2010, 18:48

Surely there’s no time to design a car from this point on – unless Geoff Willis has a car already drafted as a back up, it’s either a case of buying in a design (Of which only Toyota would be a competitive option), or adapting this years car.

Where is the line drawn on customer cars these days? Could a competitive, but lower budget team (Williams, Force India) sell off an old design for HRT to adapt?

• Skett (@skett) said on 15th November 2010, 19:04

Definitely a possibility if its within the rules, we know they already have a bit of a deal with williams after all

• Don Mateo said on 15th November 2010, 21:56

I don’t think they could, customer cars were finally got rid of this year with Toro Rosso having to actually come up with their own design. They and Honda/Super Aguri were getting away with it for a while, but I think now they’ve put a stop to it.

11. NickTheGeek (@nickthegeek) said on 15th November 2010, 18:50

scrub what I said, it seems what they were buying in was the 2010 car to use as a platform to develop from.

12. Bruno Senna please get out of HRT!!!

13. chemakal said on 15th November 2010, 19:27

last news Ive heard is De la Rosa driving for HRT and providing 6 Mio € to the team thru former Telefonica president Villalonga who would become team co-owner. Maybe Telefonica sponsorshiping???

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 15th November 2010, 20:12

Villalonga isn’t affiliated with Telefonicia anymore. They were rumoured to be Hispania’s title sponsor very early on last season when they were still known as Campos Grand Prix – the team was reported to be signing Pedro de la Rosa, who was bringing Telefonicia sponsorship. But de la Rosa decided he wanted to wait it out and see if there were other seats going. That was arguably the beginning of the end for Campos, because they had been counting on de la Rosa/Telefonicia for a while.

• Rob Haswell said on 15th November 2010, 20:55

But who in their right mind would want to be associated with Hispania? I certainly wouldn’t want to have my name plastered on the joke of motor racing.

I’m pretty sure the only area Hispania can succeed is in sullying the good name of Spanish motorsport.

• Chalky said on 16th November 2010, 10:12

You have to look at the marketing opportunities really. F1 is huge and getting some global coverage through products \ TV etc is massive.
        HRT will be one of the cheaper teams to sponsor and you could probably swing a good deal on corporate days out etc to entertain clients.
        As long as they ditch the grey colour I don’t mind. I found it so dreary. It almost slowed the car down itself being so dull.

14. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 15th November 2010, 19:57

bets on the team not making it Barhain next year?

Unless they find financial support (most of which would come from spain because I don’t see why a major brand would invest in such a team), they’ll fade… That said, with the currect politic and economic situation in Spain, things look a lot darker.

15. Haplessness Realised by Toyota! ;)