Vote for the best driver of the Abu Dhabi GP weekend

Debates and polls

Start, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Start, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Which driver did the best job during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – While his team mate looked vulnerable in the other RB6, Vettel stuck it on pole and drove off to win as if it was any ordinary race weekend.

Lewis Hamilton – Back at his best after a breakthrough with the MP4-25 – albeit one that came too late for his championship hopes.

Nico Rosberg – Ran a 54-lap stint on the medium tyres to capture fourth place.

Robert Kubica – Never looked happy at the wheel of the car and was beaten by his team mate in qualifying. But he pulled off two excellent passes on race day and, more impressively, withstood pressure from Hamilton without losing too much time to the cars behind him.

Vitaly Petrov – I didn’t expect him to hold Alonso up for four laps, never mind the best part of 40. Having out-qualified his team mate on Saturday, this was surely his best weekend of the year. But I would advise him against holidaying in Italy for the foreseeable future.

Compare all the drivers

You can review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Nico H???lkenberg
Renault: Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Sakon Yamamoto and Bruno Senna
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa
Virgin: Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend?

• Jenson Button (4%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (6%)
  • Michael Schumacher (0%)
  • Nico Rosberg (2%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (25%)
  • Mark Webber (0%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Fernando Alonso (2%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Nico H???lkenberg (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (0%)

Total Voters: 2,366

Loading ... Loading ...

Brazilian Grand Prix result

Sebastian Vettel was voted the best driver of the Brazilian Grand Prix weekend. Here are the top three drivers as voted for by you:

1. Sebastian Vettel, 29%
2. Fernando Alonso, 26%
3. Nico H???lkenberg, 21%

Got an opinion on the best and worst drivers of the season? Head on over to the forum and participate in the 2010 F1 Fanatic driver rankings.

2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix articles

107 comments on Vote for the best driver of the Abu Dhabi GP weekend

1. how luck changes the people opinion?
    everybody seems to forget how vettel almost lost the championship because of his stupidity and how alonso almost won the title because of his bravure and pure talent. now all of a sudden vettel is the best . wow wow wow
    if hamilton or alonso was part of redbull this year would have been another 2001 or 2002 or 2004 season
    the championship would have been done 5 races before the end. but because it was the crash kid and i thank him for that it got interesting
    he never led the season. that to me tells a lot.

• I agree, and this was partly the reason why I was so disappointed he won it in the end. There are many other reasons, being an Alonso fan, being a Webber fan, being an Australian, disliking RBR’s so-called ‘equal’ status etc. The list goes on ! But really, Vettel should have had this in the bag by mid season. The fact that he didn’t even lead the standings until the last round suggests to me that he was not the best driver over the season – and therefore deserving of that title. I don’t deny his talent (when out in front & not having to actually race anyone that is ;) ) but this year, I don’t beleive he was the best driver over the season. Not by a long shot.

2. theRoswellite said on 16th November 2010, 6:02

Just a comment….you are asking us for the “best driver of the GP weekend”. This seems to be asking us for the best driver who is driving at the GP weekend, as opposed to the driver who put in the best drive of the weekend.

These two questions are very different.

If you are asking us who we think is the best driver of the weekend, the answer, for me at least, would probably be the same person for most, if not all, of the season.

While the driver who put in the best drive of the weekend would change quite often.

I realize this sounds contrived and overly “picky”, but from the votes and comments above I would say you are not getting responses that are all aimed at the same idea.

Of course when running a blog like this, which I enjoy very much by the way, having open ended questions may allow for greater input and freedom for your readers.

You would certainly be the expert in this area, and I gladly differ to your better judgment.

3. I voted for Petrov.. holding up the 3 time WDC for 40 odd laps is one mean feat.

But Vettel should also get a vote.. he drove a flawless weekend.
    I felt that webber somehow wasn’t driving the same car as him.. since he seems to be losing most of his time in the second sector, where theres like 2 straights and a chicane!
    but don’t take that away from vettel, he drove a fantastic race. truly a deserved WDC

4. spankythewondermonkey (@spankythewondermonkey) said on 16th November 2010, 8:21

can only be vettel. making pole count (for a change) slipping under the radar and snatching the championship from 3rd place. jenson did great getting past teflonso at the start which surely was a contributing factor in seb’s WDC win. lewis had a great, controlled drive. webber was a let down. bit like that rocket they built on james may’s “manlab”. never really looked in it in quali and continued throughout the race. was never close enough to alonso to capitalise on the mistakes made and looked like a beaten man before the race even started.

final word….. the season needs to open with bahrain & abu dhabi – getting the 2 most boring races out of the way – as the tracks do nothing to let the drivers shine. going off the circuit should penalise you, not let you set a faster time / pull away from those following.

5. Accidental Mick said on 16th November 2010, 8:34

Just a thought. If Petrov was “holding up” Alonso, why couldn’t Webber get close enough to Alonso to have a ceack at him?

• Hotbottoms said on 16th November 2010, 15:23

It’s unlikely that Webber was seriously trying to overtake Alonso or even put pressure on him. Webber was disappointed by his team and Vettel for not helping him when it would’ve been smart. Also, overtaking Alonso would not have helped Webber at that point at all.

6. Accidental Mick said on 16th November 2010, 8:36

Sorry – that should be crack.

7. Petrov didn’t do anything special, I see however, that Alonso’s haters don’t think the same. Have you ever considered the fact that the Russian was running purely fresh new engine, while Alonso had machinery almost three races old ? Geez, the fan-boyizm never stops …..

8. Marco said on 16th November 2010, 9:17

Interesting that “in for your consideration” is not included a driver, who climbed most positions in race compared to qualifying and who s car really don t belong to top 10…

9. Cyclops said on 16th November 2010, 9:19

Getting the WDC is one thing, the single race performance is other one. Vettel did what he had to do with the fastest car in his hand. It was a good performance, but an expected one.

If I could, I would vote for both Renault drivers. Obviously I can’t, therefore my vote goes to Kubica. Petrov also had a great race, yet he displayed only defensive abilities, whereas Kubica showed himself well both in defense and in offense. One of his best all-round performances of the season.

10. I am amazed so few people voted for Alonso.

His race was a disaster, but his driving behind Petrov (who also drove brilliantly) was a sustained lap after lap drive on the limit in his Ferrari. He put the car off the track more and more towards the end. But being able to push past the limit of the car, have it go from underneath him, and then recover it several times in the closing laps, barely losing any ground on Petrov, was quite brilliant to watch!

Note : I am not an Alonso fan. And am super happy for Vettel. It just seems that people vote based on the outcome of the race, rather than analysing the actual driving.

• spankythewondermonkey (@spankythewondermonkey) said on 16th November 2010, 13:05

recovering from an over-run onto tarmac isn’t exactly difficult. put a gravel trap there or some slippery grass and he’d either have had a DNF or lost a few places.

• Hallard said on 16th November 2010, 17:54

So youre saying that because Alonso made mistakes and put the car off the track, but was able to recover from said mistakes, he was the BEST driver of the weekend? Yas Marina has miles of tarmac runoff, so Alonso essentially had an insurance policy allowing him to push as hard as he could with minimal risk. It makes no sense to say he was the best driver because he was able to recover from mistakes that he made. Put simply, Alonso (and his team as a whole) fell short this weekend.

• I never said that Alonso was the best driver of the weekend. Just that I was surprised how few voted for him.

11. RIISE (@riise) said on 16th November 2010, 9:50

Alonso!!!!!!!!!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 16th November 2010, 10:18

Why?

• Hallard said on 16th November 2010, 17:58

You guys are hilarious. Explain to me logically how Alonso outdrove Petrov over the weekend, much less Vettel. Please.

• I didn’t say Alonso out drove Petrov. Although in a straight head to head with equal equipment I know who my money would be on. Despite having a soft spot for Petrov, and watching him come up through GP2.

What you need to remember is Alonso had an engine on it’s third race this weekend just gone. Petrov had a brand new one.

If Petrov had not been in-front of Alonso we probably would not have even noticed his race this weekend.

12. zarathustra said on 16th November 2010, 11:03

First, this track is rubish if you want to overtake someone so holding behind back another driver is quite easy if you don’t make a mistake.

Second, Petrov was terrible for almost whole season and now people are blinded because “he stopped Fernando Alonso for almost 40 laps!”. This was good race for him, I mean he didn’t crash like usual but Renault should kick him right away (I know this will not happen since he brings money…)

My vote for Kubica, would vote for Rosberg too if I could.

13. chemakal said on 16th November 2010, 13:41

This one goes to Alguersuari!! Great race holding position to Massa and Webber… AND FINALY IN THE POINTS!!! After 3 races finishing in 11th position. Hopefully you’ll get a more competitive Toro Rosso next year, Jaime

• chemakal said on 16th November 2010, 13:44

Although, as Newey said, Alguersuari might have been the key to Ferrari’s fatal strategic error, holding Webber for 3 laps that opened the time window for Ferrari to get Alonso into the pits and back into the track in front of Webber. Uhm…

14. “how luck changes the people opinion?
    he never led the season. that to me tells a lot.
    I don’t believe in luck but the fingerface got some and I mean a lot. and please don’t start with the points he lost that were all his fault crash on weber button the engine failures are reflection of the way he drives”

OMG so much hatred in one single person!
    I sincerely hope this is due to your young age and are not raising children yet.

The only thing I like about the season being over is that you can retrospect on a championship race by race and doublecheck the facts to what has been stated in the press and in blogs.
    Then you will find out that Vettel earned himself the epitheton”crash kid”while he crashed the least of the top 4:namely twice(Turkey and Belgium)Some even called him the proctologist while his team mate was the one who was spotted twice examening the rear end of his opponents.
    In Silverstone he even AVOIDED a crash when Webber agressively moved over on him and he chose to go off track to avoid the collision.Had the roles been inversed you can bet your donkey Mark would have defended his line and the crash statistics would show 6 for Webber 3 for Vettel and who knows, the WCC and WDC might have gone to a competing team.
    I remember Martin Brundle shouting at the start:”Vettel is driving his teammate into the wall” while he actually left him ample room to manoeuver and then when Webber made a much harsher move on his “teammate” he said:”Well he can do that ,can’t he?”Not so sure the RB team shares MB’s opinion, since they stated their drivers can race at will as long as they leave each other enough breathing space.
    I guess the whole F1 world was all fired up over the nosecone decision,and so was I really,but this still didn’t give MW the right to risk another collision between 2 splendid cars owned by the team that writes him a (fat) paycheck!
    What really beats everything this season is what happened behind the SC in Hungary,and the conclusion by many that Vettel was a dumb rookie.
    Can you imagine that he was leading that race by 12 sec to Alonso when unfortunately for him the SC came out?
    RB made the right decision(contrary to what MB thought) to keep Mark out on the track while all the other protagonists pitted for new rubber.
    Coulthard said: “Webber should be on the radio to his team and say ok let me do 15 or 16 “qualifying” laps and let Sebastian hold the field up and lets do a 1-2 for the team,because if he has Sebastian running his normal pace then this could cost him dearly as Martin just said.”
    “Does Vettel really want Mark to finish second?”asked Brundle.
    Well,apparently he did,and that for a teammate that didn’t show the same sense of team spirit in some previous races.
    Anyway, to give Webber a headstart he had to fall back as
    much as the rules allow while the SC was out,because once the race restarted he had Alonso to deal with.
    Bring in to the mix radio problems with Vettel’s car and Webber shooting away in turn 15 under SC coming in and there goes your reward for being so loyal to your team.
    I’d love to hear the radiocommunication between the pits and Webber’s car during SC procedure!
    To call a sportsman stupid, who’s helping out a teammate and gets screwed over in the process is despicable to say the least!Don’t forget SV lost 17 points to MW and 13 to FA due to the most rediculous drive through I’ve ever witnessed.

There’s more to the picture than meets the eye,certainly in a multi million dollar circus like F1,but I’m not letting myself get sucked in to that reality distortion field that has been created by some commenters.
    Vettel was the best in Abu Dhabi and in the championship over all,he never let anyone get under his skin,he kept going after a remarkable number of setbacks and demonstrated coolness and strength of character up to the very last race .
    He should be applauded for that, not hated!!

15. I voted for Vitaly Petrov this time. I was considering to vote for one of the two Renault drivers, but, overall I think Vitaly has made a relatively bigger impression on me than Robert: he outqualified his more experienced (and talented) team mate and he bore the pressure of a former two-time worldchamp for a majority of the race.
    Although I’m a big fan of Sebastian, I did not vote for him, because he did what he’s very good at and has done already many times: winning form pole position!

16. Horacio said on 16th November 2010, 19:13

34 votes for Alonso. It must be a joke. And a funny one.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 16th November 2010, 21:41

And Petrov for best isn’t a joke? Just because he held a driver behind him on a track where overtaking is impossible?

• statix said on 16th November 2010, 22:17

impossible? kub overtook twice and it was all the fun from this race :/

• Hallard said on 16th November 2010, 23:23

…and because he outqualified his much more highly regarded team mate, and generally drove a flawless race to make the most of an odd strategy. Dont get me wrong, I didnt vote for Petrov, but I certainly wouldnt call it a joke that so many did.

17. petrov…no brainer

18. zarathustra said on 16th November 2010, 20:58

So the best driver is… Petrov?

This is truly a flaw of democracy, majority is wrong but we keep going like nothing happend.

19. I voted Alonso just for a laugh

20. Vote in Petrov? Hatred to Alonso?
    Understand, it is not alone of the United Kingdom that participate of this site. LOL