Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
The discussions on the Ferrari pit wall that led to crucial decision that cost Fernando Alonso the world championship have been revealed.
The exchange of messages between Alonso and his race engineer Andrea Stella, which was not broadcast during the race, shows the team’s preoccupation with Alonso’s position compared to Webber.
It also shows how Alonso urged the team to use Felipe Massa to hold Webber up.
The radio transcript, published by Corriere della Sera, shows how Ferrari made the mistake of reacting to Webber’s pit stop instead of keeping Alonso out.
Alonso is 1.7 seconds behind Jenson Button and 1.4s ahead of Webber, who is 0.8s ahead of Massa.
Andrea Stella: “You gained three tenths on Webber. Felipe is closing in too.”
AS: “Webber has stopped and Vettel is also losing ground on Hamilton.”
Fernando Alonso: “If you see that Felipe can overtake him in a lap call him in.”
AS: “We are thinking about it, concentrate on Button.”
FA: “How did it work with Felipe?”
AS: “He came out behind Webber”
Ferrari tell Alonso to pit on lap 16.
AS: “OK, come in [to the pits] now.”
AS: “You will come out close to Webber. You are in front”.
Alonso is 1.1s ahead of Webber and 1.5s behind Vitaly Petrov.
FA: “What’s the situation?”
AS: “We have to overtake the Renault in front, he won’t stop any more. After that it’s Rosberg.”
Alonso is 0.5s behind Petrov. None of the cars that were in front of him before he pitted have come in yet.
AS: “I know you are giving everything but it’s critical to overtake Petrov.”
2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Steven’s view of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Drivers’ and teams’ end-of-season photographs
- Alonso’s role in Ferrari strategy revealed in pit messages
- Hamilton: McLaren learned a lot in 2010
- Button vows to address qualifying weakness
- Vettel ends season on a high to snatch title
- Ferrari hit back at criticism of race strategy
- McLaren rediscover their form at final race
- New engines help Renault to best result of 2010
Image ?é?Ž Ferrari spa