Picture gallery: Pirelli tyre test day one

2011 F1 testing

The familiar Bridgestone sidewalls are gone and as of today we now have the eye-catching yellow of Pirelli.

Here are pictures of all the F1 cars testing on Pirelli tyres for the first time at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi today.

2011 F1 testing

Browse all 2011 F1 testing articles

More F1 pictures

Images ?? Ferrari spa, Renault/LAT, Williams/LAT, Pirelli, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India F1 Team

32 comments on Picture gallery: Pirelli tyre test day one

1. Griggs said on 19th November 2010, 16:34

Its funny to see the sponsorship logos on the Hispania car have been quickly and cheaply painted over with a matte grey paint.

2. The yellow writing on the tyres looks much more ‘sportish’ then the boring white of the Bridgestones!

Never noticed the “THANK YOU LOTUS FANS” on the car before.

• Gerdoner said on 19th November 2010, 17:00

On the other hand, the white didn’t collide with any team colors, whereas that’s not the case with the yellow… so i’m all for white Pirelli logos ;)

• Sangeen said on 19th November 2010, 18:49

They look very nice on the lotus cars and will do so even more with the black and gold livery next year.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 20th November 2010, 3:13

I don’t know why, but I like the green band on the ‘option’ compound tyres! I don’t know whether that is because it is aesthically pleasing or it signifies Formula 1 at it’s fastest. All I know is that I get excited when I see the green band – as it means we are going to see some blistering lap times!

Also, who is in this picture? http://bit.ly/da6D8N – It says it is Rosberg, but that isn’t his helmet is it? http://bit.ly/9oDGCg – This is Rosberg, and he has a different helmet…

• Pretty sure it would be Rosberg. He’s probably just trying out a new helmet, it looks like an unpainted carbon fibre helmet.

You can tell its him frm the gloves, Rosberg wears yellow and Schu wears red to match their normal helmets.

3. ajokay said on 19th November 2010, 16:58

They look more ‘black’ than the Bridgestones. I still want a 4-way tyre war between Pirelli, Michelin, Bridgestone & Goodyear though. No 2-compound rule and Maximum competition.

4. Nice Massa’s photo from in front.

5. They look like comedicly over-inflated lego wheels. Cool!

6. King Six said on 19th November 2010, 18:36

They need to have something else instead of the green stripe, like a yellow stripe or something for the softer/option tyres.

That’s FIA though, not Pirelli. The yellow writing looks cool, still

7. Sangeen said on 19th November 2010, 18:46

The Pirellis look so much more bulkier than the bridgestones.The sizes of tyres are the same as this years bridgestones arent they?

8. Oliver said on 19th November 2010, 19:19

Seen from a distance, the Yellow immediately reminds me of Goodyear.

9. It’s really bugging me because I don’t know why the Lotus car has the question mark on it’s sidepod mounted wing mirror thing. The mystery of why they changed it from the racers number to that question mark during the season.

Oh, and I see the HRT car has no colored camera on top of the airbox.

10. HounslowBusGarage said on 19th November 2010, 20:06

That’s an intersting pic of the left front of Kubica’s car. Very grained up.

11. Oliver said on 19th November 2010, 20:12

Is it my imagination or do these tyres seem shorter when looked at from the side?

12. Wificats said on 19th November 2010, 22:10

These tyres look some much nicer than the Bridgestone slicks. When they reintroduced slicks last year, I was hoping for a return of the nicely proportioned slicks of yesteryear, but instead the Bridgestone slicks looked like Cartwheels, or hockey pucks because the sidewalls were way too flat (Don’t even mention the green stripe!).

The combination of the better colour of black, the yellow “Pirelli” logos and the nice curve/ bulge in the sidewall, make the Pirellis look much more aesthetically pleasing.

13. GeeMac said on 19th November 2010, 22:23

I didn’t see it too much in these pics, but from the pics on F1.com it seemed like every single set of tyres grained up pretty badly.

Glad to see Pirelli back though!

14. BNK Racing said on 20th November 2010, 1:09

its a shame they didnt increase the size of the rims like in IRL

15. ithink HRT will have no sponser because they are having trouble with money problems and their cars sucks! No wonder they don’t have sponsers anymore.

btw i am only 13, so I dont care about my ENGLISH :P