Ecclestone taken to hospital after mugging

2010 F1 season

Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone

Several newspapers are reporting that Bernie Ecclestone was mugged in London on Wednesday night.

Ecclestone and girlfriend Fabiana Flosi had jewellery worth ??200,000 stolen from them.

Ecclestone, who turned 80 last month, had to be taken to hospital with a head injury.

In 1996 thieves broke into Ecclestone’s house while he was at home with his family, punching and kicking him before stealing a ring from his (now former) wife Slavica.

Last month Jenson Button was the target of muggers during the Brazilian Grand Prix weekend. Ecclestone played down the incident at the time.

Read more: Button unharmed in attack

85 comments on Ecclestone taken to hospital after mugging

1. Samuel said on 26th November 2010, 13:44

Well, er….’Soft and not too bright’ eh Bernie?

2. Antifia said on 26th November 2010, 13:51

If I remember it well, what Bernie played down was the fact that Button’s mugging was in Brazil – something a lot people were making a battle horse about. He said that people run to risk to be mugged anywhere (I remember Andrew Davis from PF1 having a fit because Bernie mentioned it could have happend in Oxford street). This unfortunate incident proves him right.

3. Logan00si said on 26th November 2010, 13:51

They dint mug him. I think they where trying to sell him a hat:)

4. this isnt funny , but after what he said in sao paulo it becomes extremeley funny

5. judo chop said on 26th November 2010, 14:44

Bernie’s not too hard to find if someone does want to knock him off. I always see him popping in and out of the Versace store down Brompton Road.

6. kateafan said on 26th November 2010, 14:50

No one deserves to be attacked on the street like that but his lack of concern for those mugged and threatened in Sao Paulo does feel a lot like karma.
    Even so, get well soon, Bernie.

7. Electrolite said on 26th November 2010, 17:15

Hope Bernie’s okay and the injuries weren’t too serious. It’s horrible for anyone to get mugged. Sure, he’s loaded, but that doens’t make it any better.

8. lonestar311 said on 26th November 2010, 18:59

And Bernie sez: We should have more police there. Crikey, if you and your girlfriend can wander around flashing 200,000 pounds worth of jewelry, you can afford a freaking bodyguard!!!

Now, get away from the hospital and go mug another country for the right hold a F1 race.

• Maksutov said on 27th November 2010, 0:41

that^

being wealthy and that popular, needless to say old and helpless individual walking with a hot chick; put two and two together its obvious that you need to take extra precautions. At least have someone around to keep an eye from a distance. I am very surprised Bernie did not have this.

9. London is not Sao Paulo, his indices of criminality should be much smaller. Bernie, in the opportunity of the case of Button left in defense of Sao Paulo. Bernie has affectionate connections with Brazil from the times of Fittipaldi and Ayrton Senna. He passed many times vacation in home of Senna Senna and his current girlfriend is a Brazilian. A lot of health to Bernie.

10. Nice to see so many comments poking fun at Eccelstone here. Although I may not have agreed with a lot of things he has said in the past few years, I never wished ill health or misfortune on him.

Being mugged at any age is stressful, but more so for those who are older, even if they’re rich beyond their wildest dreams.

I just hope that nobody on here is a victim to a mugging during their life, or indeed their grandparents. Wouldn’t be so funny then, would it?

11. Manatcna said on 27th November 2010, 1:01

As somebody has already said, he’s got enough money to hire a minder.

12. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 27th November 2010, 1:45

That’s bad all sorts of things are happening this season & now this. I always thought that he have security with him what happened to them this time I don’t know.I heard that the incident happened around his office in UK in Knightsbridge & why was he carrying jewellery to his office.I hope he gets well soon or who will manage the F1 business!!!!!

13. My2Cents said on 27th November 2010, 3:56

Bernie and his girlfriend are wandering around flashing 200,000 quid and you wonder why he got bonked? I have little sympathy for the rich poser after his comments regarding Button’s at-gunpoint episode in Brazil where he snipped that the crooks were “…just trying to buy a hat”.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 27th November 2010, 5:34

Do you think he was just wandering down the street, carelessly rifling through bills where everyone could see them in deepest, darkest Soho? If you read the article, you’ll see what was happening: he wasn’t carrying the cash, his girlfriend was wearing it in the form of jewellery. No doubt the muggers saw a younger woman with a much older man, both of whom were well-dressed and figured they were an easy target.

• My2Cents said on 28th November 2010, 3:55

Blah, blah, blah. Don’t disrespect me by putting words in my mouth. That’s not what I said and I think you know it. Money, jewelry, clothing, personal grooming, it’s all the same tip-off to a thug.

14. bigred (@bigred) said on 27th November 2010, 10:22

I’m suprised anyone could get near him, if i was a billionaire i would have an army around me, especially at his age, come on bernie you can’t take it with you