Pastor Maldonado gets Williams drive for 2011

2011 F1 season

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Williams have finally confirmed Pastor Maldonado will make his F1 debut with them in 2011.

The Venezuelan driver who won the GP2 championship this year completes their line-up, joining Rubens Barrichello at the team.

Maldonado said:

I feel very privileged that Williams has selected me as one of their race drivers. It is a great way to end what has already been an amazing year for me.

I tested with the team in Abu Dhabi, but can?t wait to start working with everyone properly to be in the best possible shape going into next year. I will be doing my best over the winter to prepare myself, and I know the team will be working hard to ensure a successful season.

2011 will be the first time in nearly thirty years that a Venezuelan has driven a Formula One car so I will be looking to get some good results in return for the support my country has given me to help get me to this position today.
Pastor Maldonado

Team principal Frank Williams added:

Pastor first caught my eye in 2007 when he drove a masterful race at Monaco. Since then, he has regularly reminded us of his unquestionable talent with some skilful wins, particularly during this year?s GP2 championship, taking an unsurpassed record of six successive victories.

Of course, we already know Pastor from the time he spent with the team at the Abu Dhabi test, but we are very much looking forward to developing his talent over the winter and a fruitful season with him next year.
Frank Williams

Maldonado is the fifth of six GP2 champions to move up into Formula 1, joining Nico Rosberg, Lewis Hamilton, Timo Glock and Nico H???lkenberg. The only one who failed to make the transition was 2008 champion Giorgio Pantano.

He will be the third Venezuelan driver to compete in F1. The first was Ettore Chimeri, who drove a Maserati in the 1960 Argentinian Grand Prix.

The other was Johnny Cecotto who started a total of 18 Grands Prix in 1983 and 1984, first with Theodore and then as Ayrton Senna’s team mate at Toleman. But he broke his legs in a crash in practice for the British Grand Prix, ending his F1 career.

Venezuelan Indy Car racer Ernesto Viso made a single appearance for Midland in practice for the 2006 Brazilian Grand Prix.

Q&A with Pastor Maldonado

What started your career in motor sport?
PM: Having competed themselves, my father and my uncle are very passionate about motor sport, so I inherited it from them. In my city of Maracay, there is a go kart circuit about five minutes from my home. When I was about three or four years old I said I wanted to race but I was too young, then when I reached the age of seven my father gave me a kart and we started from there. From that moment until now we have never stopped.

After karting in Venezuela, I came to Europe in 1998 to compete in international kart races, which was great for me to get experience racing outside my country. After consistently being at the top, I decided to move to Italian Formula Renault. I won the championship in my second year. We made the jump to GP2 in 2007 but I only did half a season as I had an injury. We came back in 2008 and finished fifth in the championship, just six points adrift of the leader in a very close championship.

You were crowned GP2 champion this year. What does that feel like?
PM: It was an incredible season. We were competitive from the beginning and went on to win six races. The team worked well together to achieve victory and by the middle of the season I already had a good gap and took the title at Monza.

Do you think you are ready for F1?
PM: GP2 is a very good championship; it really prepares drivers well for F1. I have worked very hard to get to this position and yes, I definitely feel ready.

How does it feel knowing you will be driving for AT&T Williams next year?
PM: Williams do an amazing job. It is unbelievable to be here and to be part of the team. It is a dream.

What do you make of your new team mate Rubens Barrichello?
PM: For sure Rubens is a pleasure to have as a team mate as he is a very experienced driver. I can learn so much from him. It will be fun as he is South American too! I think it is going to be a very interesting team.

How will you prepare for your first F1 season over the winter?
PM: I will keep pushing in my training and working in the simulator. We don’t have a long time, just one or two months before the first test, and I am going to be fit and ready.

You had a day in the FW32 at the Abu Dhabi Young Driver test. How did that go?
PM: It was amazing. It was a big moment for me because only days before I had been driving a GP2 car and there are some big differences. I improved lap after lap and completed the programme so it was a very good experience for me.

What are the differences between a GP2 car and an F1 car?
PM: There are three big differences. The first is the difference in engine power; the F1 car has amazing power and a higher top speed. Secondly, the braking point; the brakes are a lot harder in F1. Finally there is much more downforce and general grip.

You will be only the fourth Venezuelan to have ever driven a Formula One car. What does that mean to you?
PM: It has been nearly 30 years since Venezuela has had a driver in Formula One so the country has been pushing young drivers in the hope of having someone represent them. I am happy to now be that driver.

To summarise, what will be your objectives for the 2011 season?
PM: I just want to do my best, to be as close to the top as I can and to get the maximum out of the car. The team are working very hard and I need to push to be at the top as soon as possible. I am a rookie but that isn?t going to be a problem. I need to keep focussed and to do my job.

Read more: 2011 F1 drivers and teams

Image ?? Williams/LAT

63 comments on Pastor Maldonado gets Williams drive for 2011

1. US Williams Fan said on 1st December 2010, 23:28

Not sure how I feel about this – Pastor has promise – but I don’t know if he will be a better driver than the HULK.

Hope he does well!

2. Toby Bushby said on 2nd December 2010, 0:01

I think it’s probably going to be a big shame that Maldonado drives for Williams rather than Hulkenberg. Next season will be the fourth year in a row that Williams has a driver that needs to get to grips with qualifying – and we all know how important that is.

Nakajima just couldn’t qualify. There was no real problem with his racing. Hulkenberg was getting to grips with it really well, which is a double shame to see him end up out the door. I just hope that Maldonado can get it right very quickly, or else Williams will have taken one step forward and two steps back regarding future sponsorship opportunities.

3. Luigismen said on 2nd December 2010, 0:56

I like the fact that people are talking trash about Maldonado, saying that Nico was soooo much better, that’s just bulls**t, Kobayashi didn’t impress in gp2 and he is doing very good, beside, it will be even better when Pastor shows everybody how good and prepared for F1 he is, I’m sure he will do better than Hulkenberg

Anyway… my point is that you can’t judge someone if he hasn’t even compete in a F1 race, and now he’s confirmed at williams, so you all will have to deal with it.
    GO VENEZUELA!

4. Sergio Perez said on 2nd December 2010, 1:10

Hulkenberg is overrated. I think GP2 as a series has become overrated. There’s just a very big influence of the car on the championship. Hulkenberg was a disappointment in the Macau GP Formula 3 race, for example, but went on to win GP2. In f1, he was constantly beaten by his team mate in qualifying. The pole position in Brasil was due to a mix of circustances, on a track that was changing every lap due to better weather conditions. It was impressive, no doubt, but on the race you could see his true pace.

You can’t judge a driver’s talent by winning GP2, IMO. Kobayashi is a very good example of that. Drivers like Vettel and Alguersari, for example, skipped GP2 altogether.

5. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 2nd December 2010, 1:57

There is no doubt that this guy have talent but many people do know that he is chosen because he is talented & bringing sponsor to the team. I hope both works well.

6. RedGreen said on 2nd December 2010, 1:59

“For sure”, he’s already talking like an F! driver anyway…

7. Chrizz said on 2nd December 2010, 20:27

Shame they dropped Hulkenberg, cause I think he was getting to grips with F1, like some of you think too. I wish him all the best (in F1!!!)

On the other hand, I too agree that Williams needs some cash, so it’s only logical to chose the GP2 champion who happens to be backed by the national oil company of Venezuela. I get that strange feeling to compare him to one of the lost talents in F1, who also drove for Williams and was from S-America too: JP Montoya. I’m keeping my fingers crossed on this thought, for myself and for Williams.
    I also hope that Rubens will keep doing his best in 2011 and beyond…

8. I understand that Maldonado has got this seat because he bring money from Venezuela. Specifically Venezuela’s state-owned oil company, PDVSA.

Well I just read in the Guardian, that PDVSA are being squeezed, that there output is nowhere near what they claim. And that Venezuela is suffering 30%+ inflation.

You have to wonder how secure those funds are.

9. Makenze Kelly said on 13th December 2010, 15:54

Houselowbusgarage,
    I completely disagree with you!
    You sound like a racist. Pastor Maldonado has shown a great talent in GP2 by winning the championship title this season. He won six races, perhaps would have won more races if there is anyone close enough to stop him from winning the championship. Lewis Hamilton nearly won formula 1 championship as a rookie. He showed great performance, set record upon record as well as making his former teammate Fernando Alonso look weak behind the wheel. Pastor is not exceptional to such great performance because he has speed. He will do Venezuelans proud including president Hugo Chavez who has been a great supporter of GP2 and formula 1 race.