Alonso named best driver of 2010 by team bosses

F1 Fanatic round-up

F1 team bosses vote Fernando Alonso as the driver of the year.

Links

F1 bosses vote Alonso the best of 2010 (Autosport)

“Alonso beat Vettel by nine points overall after the votes of all the team principals were added up – moving him up from fourth place overall where he was voted last season.”

Scarbs F1 on Twitter

“I’m hearing the 2013 engine rules are: mandated 1.6l I4 turbo, 88mm bores, direct injection, 100kg\h fuel flow rate.”

I love you boys! (Red Bulletin)

Adrian Newey: “If I had to choose one moment of the last season, perhaps I would pick the moment when I knew the RB6 was a fast car. Wind-tunnel testing is one thing, but you can never be sure. Not even pole position at the first race will guarantee you?ll still be competitive at the last race.”

What if Senna had jumped to IndyCars? (The Times Leader)

“When we look at a possible Senna-IndyCar partnership, it?s not just the question of how would Senna fare against the IndyCar field, but rather if the massive public following and immense level of respect that followed him would have had any major impact on the IndyCar ??civil war?? that ripped the sport apart in 1995.”

2011 FIA Formula One World Championship (FIA)

Lewis Hamilton now listed as number three. Updated list here: 2011 F1 drivers and teams

Comment of the day

Invoke has reservations over Sergio Perez’s arrival at Sauber, after the team dropped the ‘known quantity’ Nick Heidfeld:

It?s interesting that they have have switched back to an unknown quantity again so quickly. I?m sure the sponsorship potential was very enticing, and actually I think Perez could do well in F1 given some time, I just hope it doesn?t hurt their chances next year.

On a more positive note, this move should hopefully ensure stability for the team in the long term. They provided some exciting on-track action this year, I wish them well for 2011 and beyond.
Invoke

From the forum

Amazing pictures from a race at the Oscar Alfredo Galvez race track from Fer No. 65. See here: They copy us at Monza…

Read Fer’s excellent guest article on the Argentinean Touring Car Championship from earlier this year: Why you should watch?? TC2000

Happy birthday!

We’ve got a double birthday today – all the best to RIISE and Speed Damon!

On this day in F1

One year ago today the FIA confirmed Sauber would race in F1 in 2010, giving it the space that had been vacated by Toyota:

Sauber takes Toyota?s place on 2010 grid

Image ?? Ferrari spa

158 comments on Alonso named best driver of 2010 by team bosses

1. Invoke said on 3rd December 2010, 10:48

My first comment of the day, thanks Keith :)

2. verstappen said on 3rd December 2010, 10:53

Alonso is indeed one of the best.

But I don’t like him. I don’t like Hamilton, I don’t like Webber.

I like Schumacher, Raikkonnen, Vettel, Trulli, Chandok, Button, Barichello. I feel sympathy for Massa.

etc

‘chemistry’ between people apparantly also works when you only know someone from TV, racing a car and giving some interviews (the post race interviews with Kimi!).

And with this complex sport, full of factors which we know and don’t know, it is so hard to compare drivers really objectively.

I can’t remember any F1 driver who never made a mistake. They’re human after all. And this humanity, like parking your car at Rascasse, or lying to the Stewards, ratting out your team, or waving your hand, or pointing to your head… This humanity makes all sports, including F1, interesting to watch and follow. Including this endless debate…

3. The importance of this poll is that the team managers are saying we would predominantly prefer an aggressive me-me-me type of driver who is totally focused on one thing-winning. By any means possible.

“Sportsmanship” has little to do with F1 these days.

• Indeed. They all remember Senna…but he was really good!

• chemakal said on 3rd December 2010, 18:57

totally disagree. Team managers normaly want loosers in their teams that are very nice to them and their team mates so they can spend a great time travelling around the world.

Do you really think there is one single driver out there without a winning fcused mind??? They all have been brought up like this since kids with the only goal of arriving in pos 1 to the finish line.

Drivers have their own friends and family outside he racing to be nice to, F1 is competing, developing cars to the extreme spending fortunes on it, no space for sportsmanship other than helping out your team mate to score points for the team and WDC

4. Maybe in 2005 or 2006, Alonso was the best driver on the grid, but I don’t think he is anymore.

He seems to struggle when it comes to being stranded in the midfield. Valencia, Silverstone and Abu Dhabi, he never really fought back being stuck behind less experienced drivers… not to mention Kobayashi catching him napping in Valencia (One of my favourite moments of the season) ;)

Australia was a decent performance but he was aided by not pitting and Hamilton and Webber colliding putting the pressure off. Hockenheim was a gifted win. In both those races he struggled to pass his teammate who was all over the place but managing to stay ahead.

What happens is that whenever Fernando gets frustrated, it affects his abilities as a racing driver and can’t perform at his best.

So, who do I think is the best driver on the grid now? Enter Robert Kubica. He can overtake (as Singapore proved), he can drive fast, he’s a tough but fair racer and he’s the one driver that Lewis Hamilton can’t seem to overtake. ;) Give him a car that is almost as good as this year’s Red Bull and he’ll challenge for the title.

• bosyber said on 4th December 2010, 20:54

I tend to agree with your idea that Alonso suffers from frustration – I think 2007 really cracked him just a little bit. Not sure I would choose Kubica over him as the best for the moment though. I want to see him in a race winning car some more before I would be able to agree.

5. The fact that Kubica sits behind Webber tells that the voting was not a pure indication of driver talent alone , but rather a lot of influence from the speed of the car the driver had.

6. The team bosses’ opinion of Alonso was shared by the drivers in that vote they had in July. Then again, Rosberg received a vote for “most beautiful woman,” so who can say how scientific it really was. ;-)

7. F1Fan said on 3rd December 2010, 14:21

No surprise here. Alonso is still the best. In an RBR this year, he would have dominated from start to finish. I think Vettel was deservedly a close 2nd. You have to say that he is a solid top-3 driver, along w/ Alonso and Lewis. Webber has no place in the top-5. Kubica and Rosberg belong there.

8. Steve W said on 3rd December 2010, 17:40

I find this article hilarious,not because Alonso tops the poll by team principals,he also came out well in the drivers vote to,but its the denial some feel,Why?

Brakius mentioned the Moss interview,it certainly does show how professionals see him rather than the anti Alonso camp do.

Ferrari knew he could be a bit fiesty,and not easy to please,yet he and Ferrari pulled themselves back from a 47 point deficit at Silverstone to fight and lead the WDC,and i might add the THIRD fastest car.

Lastly Dan Thorn sums it up nicely i think.

9. Alonso is, at least for me, the best driver out there. His comeback this year was great! But he made a couple of silly mistakes this year, especially in Spa and Silverstone where he didn’t give his place back to Kubica, so I don’t agree with him that this was his personal best. This year I think both Kubica and Rosberg were the best, but they didn’t have the right car. But as I said, Alonso’s comeback was brilliant because his car was not the quickest of them all.

10. '92 & '93 Peugeot 905 Le Mans Winner said on 3rd December 2010, 20:09

Whose helmet is it on the picture???
    The helmet before you click on this article

11. Gusto said on 3rd December 2010, 21:02

LMFAO…It makes the Russia bid look credable. How ALO can be considered for anything apart from snake of the year makes me wonder, and Quatar for 2022, Bernie must be doing overtime, considering they dont have a domestic league and no grass. But Iam sure Herman can build some disposable stadiums for em.

12. Gusto said on 3rd December 2010, 22:34

I see the dominoes have started to fall, lets hope it spreads to all those corrupt forces who wanna take F1 to places….Oh wait a minute……..It`s already there.

13. Prisoner Monkeys said on 3rd December 2010, 22:52

I was going to write an article on “Why you should watch V8 Supercars”, but decided against it. It’s not worth watching, since one of the manufacturers has taken to buying the champion every year. They don’t care about the racing; rather, they’re trying to control as much of the grid as possible as a marketing exercise. The moment a driver starts showing promise, Holden buys them – even when it violates an existing contract.

14. Alex Bkk said on 4th December 2010, 1:44

I like that Hulkenberg made the top 10 out scoring his team mate Rubens and equaling Massa. I really think that Williams has really lost the plot in not keeping him.

• Barrichello was way better than Hulkenburg all season and outscored him 47 to 22 points where it really matters.

One Swallow doesn’t make a summer.

It would seem that both team principles and F1 drivers suffer from some sort of short term memory syndrome.

• It shows just how much thought that they put into their voting, when both Massa and Hulkenburg get into the top ten (ranked equal with Massa isn’t saying much either) and Barrichello is nowhere to be seen.

• Alex Bkk said on 4th December 2010, 3:44

Ruben should have and did outscore Hulk during the season… he’s the experienced veteran. What he didn’t do was to impress the way The Hulk did. Having said that… Rubens did make it and Shumacher didn’t… He’s got to be loving that!

• Dennoow said on 4th December 2010, 15:43

Well you have to take into account the amount of experience Barrichello had. When it comes to raw talent Hülkenberg is the better of the 2. He’s proven to be consistent, fast, able to pull out a good qualifying lap, able to drive under hard conditions (he did that better than Barrichello actually! Beat Barri comfortably in Maleysia as well as his pole-race) and he doesn’t make many mistakes. He was a little off the pace, but overall he wasn’t far behind Rubens, which is a great achievement. So I can see why they picked him over Barrichello. Given the amount of experience you’d expect Barrichello to destroy Hülkenberg the way Kubica did with Petrov. That didn’t happen.

• And Alonso couldn’t pass Petrov in a faster car. It’s all really just perception isn’t it.

• Julian said on 5th December 2010, 4:38

Alonso couldnt pass petrov, who had a faster car on the straights, which is where all the overtaking happened.

but yes it is just perspective :p haha