Mark Webber kept quiet about shoulder injury

F1 Fanatic round-up

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Suzuka, 2010

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Suzuka, 2010

The story about Mark Webber spotted by Hamish in Sunday’s round-up was widely reported yesterday. More in today’s round-up:

Links

Thoughts on Mark Webber’s shoulder injury and what it means for Red Bull (Daily Telegraph)

As tipped by Hamish here two days ago.

Moss slams Schumacher (Sky Sports)

“He is flawed. He was all over the place. We never saw him at his best when he had a really good driver alongside him. We never saw him in a Ferrari with a driver of similar talent really, so I think that (his number of titles) is misleading.”

Every F1 game on the PC compared (Codemasters forum)

How many of these games have you played?

ScarbsF1 on Twitter

Schumacher not happy with the W01: “The exhaust got so hot that the underside of the car burnt. The F-duct was triggered in parts of the track where it shouldn’t have been.”

Williams via Twitter

Rubens at the factory today for FW33 seat fitting following Autosport Awards last night.

Barrichello's seat fitting

Barrichello's seat fitting

Comment of the day

Lots of readers have been sharing their experience of going to races this year but one fan went to them all:

I guess you could say that I?m in a fairly unique situation in terms of being able to compare all the races.

Despite this though it?s virtually impossible to pick just one stand-out venue, every race has it?s own unique character ?ǣ yes, even Turkey & Valencia!

Some fairly good advice though is to follow the rule of the 3 M?s: Monza, Monaco, Montreal.
Alex

Make sure you have a look at his blog for more.

From the forum

JT19 has started a collection of Quotes of the Year.

Site updates

Check out the new-look interactive charts created by Kareem Shaya which made their debut in this article yesterday:

Happy birthday!

A very happy birthday to Stretch!

On this day in F1

Happy birthday to Robert Kubica who turns 26 today.

95 comments on Mark Webber kept quiet about shoulder injury

1. bananarama said on 7th December 2010, 0:18

In order:
    Webber shoud probably stop biking :-P

Moss .. again?! Is this really necessary each and every time?

So many F1 games, I always liked the ‘GrandPrix’ series, especially part 2 and 4 .. good memories :-)

Doesn’t sound like the Mercedes was a very safe car to drive, but I’m sure they learned a lot for next year.

Rubens looks happy .. kinda like he is lookin forward to a new toy :-P

I’d like to go to all races, too. Have been to Monza and Monaco and really enjoyed them. Also liked Spa a lot, but I’m probably biased because I like the track so much (the conditions there were usually pretty aweful when I went there :-P)

2. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 7th December 2010, 0:19

im pretty surprised at this.

In all honesty (im a Webber fan), it sounds like a big excuse…

but if his shoulder was broken, then there was nothing to do. It’s still incredible he managed to qualy just 0.07 secs behind Vettel in Seb’s favourite track and one of the most demanding of the calendar.

And then again, he finished 2nd, setting the fastest lap at the last lap… with a broken shoulder and a full race AND qualy in the same day.

3. oh how I wish I could go to every race, for that matter, how I wish I could go to one! Been watching F1 since I was 6 (1997) yet as neither my mum nor dad were fans I couldn’t go to a race. Now I’m old enough to go myself, I’m a student and can’t afford to go karting more than 3 times a year never mind go to a race. I’m hoping to go to Montreal in the next few years but god knows how I’ll get the money!

4. Stretch said on 7th December 2010, 0:51

Thanks Keith for the Happy Birthday! And it’s also nice to share a birthday with Robert Kubica, so happy birthday to him.

Anyway can’t wait to read Webber’s new book. We got it signed last Thursday then Dad hid it for Christmas. :(

5. Just watched the highlights of Canadian GP qualifying on BBC. Definately my favourate moment of the season!

• his_majesty said on 7th December 2010, 6:22

That gilles villeneuve circuit really does put on a great show. I was there in 98, I think I should go back this year. What a fantastic place!

6. Shomir said on 7th December 2010, 1:30

well that explains why you don’t see webber at the end of the japanese grand prix in the race edits on formula1.com

heck they had to use a “cardboard” webber, check it out yourself :)

7. RobR (@robr) said on 7th December 2010, 1:40

Mark couldn’t you have just stuck to the static bike in the gym while you were in the last throes of a title fight?

Jesus christ…

8. Hamish said on 7th December 2010, 1:46

In response to Moss’s comments:

I don’t think you can direct all those comments solely at Schumacher, as this more highlights the issue with the sport as a whole. I’m not a fan of the guy but you can’t blame him for being in the superior car for 5 years straight. He made the most of it, and reaped the rewards. It comes back to the point that is continually made that we now have pilots, not drivers. Their natural ability does not have enough of an influence on the result – he with the best car wins.

My point is, you can’t just take this approach on Schumacher alone. Are the standings from this years WDC an order of driving ability? Clearly not. I could name a number of drivers that wouldn’t be champ if it wasn’t for their butt being planted in the right car.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 7th December 2010, 1:55

That, and the fact that Schumacher already had a very impressive record before Ferrari’s ultra-dominant period. You also have to wonder if the Ferraris of ’00-’04 would have been as dominant had they not been developed with the guidance of Schumacher. He’s certainly not my favorite driver in the history of the sport, but the fact remains, Schumacher’s a seven time champion and the most successful driver in the history of the sport (by a whole range of statistics). Moss has a total of zero championships to his name. Sour grapes.

• Dave Blanc said on 7th December 2010, 3:10

Agree. Who is Stirling Moss to comment on the driving abilities of Michael Schumacher??

Never could stand Michael but he was an amazing driver. Someone needs to tell Moss to pull his head in and leave making comments like this to people that have actually won the WDC.

• If Sir Stirling Moss can’t make a comment on Schumacher because Moss never won the WDC, then by this logic people who have never even raced an F1 car, like the vast majority of F1 fans, can’t criticise any F1 driver.

Moss was probably asked his opinion on Schumacher and he said what he thought, a view which a few seem to share.

I have often seen fans slate the current crop of drivers for always towing the team line and not saying what they really think, yet if they ever do it would be seen as controversial and make headlines such as this.

Even though Moss never won the WDC he is still rated as one of the best drivers in the history of the sport, he has seen most of the F1 greats in action and raced against some of them.

We all have our own opinions, and if everyone agreed debates on sites like this wouldn’t be anywhere near as interesting, but Moss is a lot more qualified to comment on F1 than most of us.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 7th December 2010, 19:38

Moss is a lot more qualified to comment on F1 than most of us.

True.

• Dave Blanc said on 10th December 2010, 0:30

@PJA. You’ve missed the point.

Happy for Stirling Moss or anyone else to comment on people’s driving abilities. If everyone else had the same view as me i’d be terribly bored.

What i have an issue with is that because it’s “Stirling Moss” he somehow knows better than everyone else and seems to believe the hype around him being this amazing racing driver. I don’t buy that and i don’t buy him belittling other people’s achievements because he’s got a chip on his shoulder.

To draw comparisons to situations outside F1: He’s like the guy at work that never quite made it the top of his profession. Seen people like this in my profession – classic chip on the shoulder stuff.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 7th December 2010, 3:24

Agree.

He just did a better job than the others. It’s sad, because all those champs in the early 2000′s were pretty boring (appart from maybe 2000 and 2003), but he managed to win anyway.

His car was the fastest? yeah, of course. But isn’t that the case with most of the F1 champions?

Andretti, Clark, Senna, Villeneuve… all of them had the best cars of the field by miles.

• No great surprise from Moss, he has been bagging Schuey all year. pretty sad really

• bananarama said on 7th December 2010, 5:41

Actually I htink he has done that ever since. In 1994 it started with saying that Senna would have beaten him and goes on until this day. He must have some personal problem with Schumacher.

Also in my memory, Schumacher didn’t always have the best car by a mile. Also in the pre-2000s he won quite a lot of races with Ferraris that ware on occasions just ridiculous (parts falling out of the back of them). And in 2006 he almost won the championship, hadn’t it been for a broken engine in Japan (he must have thought ‘seriously, now you are breaking?! in those years when i dominated you kept running but NOW you break down on me?!’)

I don’t really know why I’m defending him like that, neither am I a big fan, nor does a 7 time champion need anyone to defend him.

• Dianna said on 7th December 2010, 17:03

Why is it when Schumacher looks a threat “they” wheel all the old anti – Schumacher brigade out to slag Schumi off.Pathetic isn’t the right word to use,but there again I am a lady!:)

• Valentino said on 7th December 2010, 9:56

Vettel also,…My opinion, if hr stays in the Red Bull he will never be a champion once again,..

• It must also be remembered that like almost any press interview only selected elements of what Moss said will have been printed and they might be slightly out of context.

I can understand though where Moss is coming from, Schumacher certainly is or was a great driver, but is he really as good as the statistics appear to make him? What always bothered me, even at the height of his success was the number of simple mistakes that he made. He was so dominant that most of those had little effect (apart from when he broke his legs). But when you look at the other truly greats, Clark, Stewart, Senna, Prost, they just didn’t make that type of simple mistake…. it bothered me then, and it bothers me now. He certainly didn’t always have the best car, people thought him mad when he went to Ferrari, and his car development skills are legendary which the current testing ban doesn’t help. But why if he is so great does he keep making silly mistakes. I don’t know the answer.

• bananarama said on 7th December 2010, 16:58

Yes, 7 titles, 91 wins, a gazillion points and race leading miles, all that is somewhat overblown .. i guess nobody could live up to numbers like that.

Sadly I forgot the tons and tons of simple mistakes that you mentioned, would you care to enlighten me please? It shouldn’t be hard to name something like .. 25 of them in the 20 years of racing career he had so far. Thanks a lot in advance :-)

What I still remember very well is how I stood in Belgium, looked at the Pouhon corner and for the first time in the session this red car came and he immediately drove through it absolutely on the edge and repeated that exercise 7 more times, flawless, beautiful, like none of the other drivers did. To quote Brundle (who said it in a different context) “he was so fast through that corner, i thought he was on fast forward’ :-D

• The mostly came when he was under no pressure and he just went off, frequently he just recovered and carried on. The most obvious and clear is when he broke his legs, no pressure, nothing wrong with the car and he just drove it off the road. No, the other greats just didn’t do that, yes they went off the road at times but never simple no pressure errors.

• David A said on 7th December 2010, 17:47

@JimN

Schumacher broke his leg at Silverstone because the car had brake failure. It’s appalling (and laughable) that you’re using that to prove that he makes rookie errors.

• @David A
            The issue isn’t that the brake failed. The issue is that the race had already been red flaged, he had already passed a couple of flag marshals posts and he was still driving at that speed, why?

• David A said on 7th December 2010, 18:15

Because Schumacher wasn’t informed that the race was red flagged. Looking at the videos, it even appeared as if Hakkinen, Coulthard and Irvine were driving at similar speeds to MSC.

So yes, that’s still a very poor example of an unforced error, especially when you’ve already had to backtrack on there being nothing wrong with the car.

• David A said on 7th December 2010, 18:17

And even if he had passed any marshall posts, it was still impossible for him to slow down and keep the car on the road, because of the brakes.

• David A said on 7th December 2010, 17:14

Best case of selective memory i’ve ever seen. Of course they all made similar mistakes.

• No not at all. We are talking about degree of brilliance here. Schumacher is without question in the top 6 drivers of all time. But statistically he is No1 in all the main statistics. The only meaningful one that he is not, is win to start ratio where he is 4th.

The question is, is he the greatest driver of all time as the stats suggest? and for me and seemingly for Moss it’s difficult to call him that when he can dive so brilliantly most of the time and then make some very simple errors.

• David A said on 7th December 2010, 18:00

and for me and seemingly for Moss it’s difficult to call him that when he can drive so brilliantly most of the time and then make some very simple errors.

As I said, every driver, even the other greats have had a similar share of bad races, where they made simple errors or did not drive to their potential. These count against the others as much as they do against Schu.

• I happen to agree with Moss to a point. Schumacher is a very good driver and that is not in question, however I don’t think he is as good as the 7 WCs suggest. Remember that he won some of them by ramming other drivers off the circuit etc. I think the current crop of drivers in Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, etc are much better drivers than Schumacher has ever been and this is shown also by how he was beaten hands down by Rosberg. Unfortunately for schumacher, the old days of getting away with dangerous moves are gone as he found out to his cost with the move on Rubens.

• David A said on 7th December 2010, 15:47

Remember that he won some of them by ramming other drivers off the circuit etc.

One of them, not “some of them”, and only because D. Hill had four extra rounds to score points in.

9. sato113 (@sato113) said on 7th December 2010, 1:50

the new interactive graphs are miles better than the previous ones. nice one!

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 7th December 2010, 1:56

Agreed. I hadn’t really registered when looking at that article that they’d changed, but I like the new look a lot better, especially the color coding next to the drivers’ names.

10. sato113 (@sato113) said on 7th December 2010, 1:56

new brundle website! great stuff.

11. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 7th December 2010, 2:26

@ Sir Stirling Moss
    I know Sir Stirling Moss is a respectable man but I don’t think so this words will earn respect for him. I do agree that many think that Senna is the best driver of all time. But that by no mean Schumacher is a bad driver the way he is describing.He came back to F1 because he is hungry & wants more wins,that a different story that how good his car is & for sure he will take some time to adapt as he haven’t been racing for 3 years.
    To everyone who thinks Schumi made a mistake by coming back to F1, JUST GIVE
    HIM A GOOD CAR then watch & talk.

@ Webber
    Why did he revealed it now? He just should have kept things to himself as he didn’t tell that to anyone when it happened during the F1 season.

12. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 7th December 2010, 2:51

It’s amaizing how almost all those games are rubbish. But not the gameplay (that’s easy to get wrong). The graphics are so bad! everything is so out of proportion it almost hurts!

Motorsports fan really have it difficult there. You have to get a proper racing game, download million of mods, have a very powerful computer and ALSO a good steering wheel and pedals… and still, most of the stuff made for us it’s rubbish.

13. Macca25 said on 7th December 2010, 4:59

For anyone who is interested this is the title decider in last weeks V8 Supercars Championship.

Take note that the first 3 cars you see are the 3 title contenders, all on slick tyres.

14. So it’s obvious now that webber loves bikes more than F1 because it’s obvious that this shoulder injury affected him during the last 4 races. Couldn’t he wait a few more weeks to get onto that bloody bike? very dissapointed marky, very!

15. Henrik said on 7th December 2010, 6:19

It is official Webber is a bad looser.
    And a very bad employee.
    Don’t think Red Bull will be too empressed, being kept in the dark, with serious stuff like this.

• Macca25 said on 7th December 2010, 6:39

Why is he a bad looser, if he was then he would have used the sholder as an excuse.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 7th December 2010, 7:13

What do you think he doing right now? Bringing it out in the news is an excuse.. he might deny that the shoulder lost him the championship, but we all know why this news came out in the 1st place.

• he wrote it in his book which chronicles the 2010 season. Of course he’s going to write it in there. Its journalists putting it in the news from the book.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th December 2010, 17:38

Once the book was published it became public knowledge. I don’t get the eagerness with which some people are trying to somehow blame journalists for this.

• I’m not blaming the journalists, I’m responding to the people who are saying that Webber is whinging and blaming everything else for not winning the championship.

He hasn’t made a big deal of it, and I’d hardly call it whinging. The only reason its been made wide knowledge is because the journalists picked it up form his book. He never went out and told journalists and made a fuss of it.

He’s hardly “whinging” about it or being a “bad looser” and certainly not making a big deal about it. I think its hugely unfair of people who are criticising Webber about this story.

*And I’m not sure what a “bad looser” is anyway, what, he struggles to get jar lids off?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th December 2010, 10:24

He hasn’t made a big deal of it

He’s written about it in a book. If he didn’t want to make a big deal out of it then he shouldn’t have mentioned it publicly at all.

• one line is hardly making a big deal of it. The book is a recollection of his season, of course he’s going to write what happened. If he broke his shoulder he broke his shoulder. There’s probably a lot of other minor details in the book too, thats what this is, a minor mention. But he’s not going on and on, he hasn’t made a big deal of it, he’s not blaming losing the championship on it. He wrote a single line about it.

A single mention is not making a big deal out of something. Its not whinging. Its not coming up with excuses. Its nothing that some of these people criticising him are saying it is.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th December 2010, 12:29

And I’m not defending people who make those claims. But news is news and Webber’s the one who broke it.

• Fallon said on 7th December 2010, 17:34

He didn’t tell the newspapers. He wrote a bit about it in his book and even said that it had nothing to do with him losing the championship. The media picked up on it though and that’s the reason why it’s out there now.

• Apple Tree said on 7th December 2010, 6:57

Webber was in a title fight, proberly the last time he will be in one. As if he would tell everyone about his broken shoulder, no but he didn’t complain about it and he just got on with things. Might explain why he lost a bit of form in the final races, not sure though.

But Webber a bad looser, nah I dont think so.

• Antifia said on 7th December 2010, 11:07

That is vintage Webber, isn’t it? He has an accident (and he is involved in many per season)? The other guy is always to blame. His team mate beats him? The team doesn’t love him or he was injured with a broken shoulder, no less. Try to drive a F1 (or a go-kart if you will) for 90 min with a broken shoulder an tell me if it is doable….. Always a reason not to look reality in the eye. It is just unbelievable how lame this fellow is.

• Jarred Walmsley said on 7th December 2010, 12:06

If it was an excuse do you not think he would have brought it out earlier to whinge about it.

In my opinion saying that Webber is a bad loser because he put an incident that occured in the 2010 F1 season in his book about the 2010 F1 season is like saying massa is a bad loser because he put the “Fernando is faster than you” incident in a book about the 2010 F1 season. Get over it already, it was a single line in his book, he didn’t bring it out to the public’s attention the media did

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th December 2010, 12:17

he didn’t bring it out to the public’s attention the media did

The person who made this story public was Mark Webber. He’d successfully kept it quiet this long, he could have gone on doing so, but he chose to write about it. It’s not as if someone broke into his local surgery and stole his doctor’s notes.

• no….unless you paid for and read the book then you would found out.
            I have not so media have HIGHLIGHTED and reported the context of a book.

Also the book would have had to been written and edited on the fly till end of season…
            Not retrospectively…so he would have dictated the accident at the time and not after season…
            Other wise it would still be in editing and printing stage LOL

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th December 2010, 13:59

Sorry I don’t know what you mean by that.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 7th December 2010, 19:50

@AP, so a book that’s published and sold publicly is somehow private?

• Lenny said on 11th December 2010, 4:12

More copies will be sold now that is for sure. I was not going to buy it but am now requesting it for Christmas thanks to this story.

Good marketing by Webber. Definitely not a sore loser though. A fairly content loser I have thought. Have seen many interviews since Abu Dhabi and he reflects very positively on the season.

Can see both sides of the argument but am with Ben and co on this one. Particularly lame response from Antifia implying that he was making it up. If this was so the FIA doctor who alledgedly knew about it and administered injections would be saying that he didn’t know anything about it.