Renault reveal R30 with new 2011 Lotus livery

2011 F1 season

Renault 2011 Lotus livery

Renault 2011 Lotus livery

Renault have revealed the first genuine photographs of their current R30 F1 car in the new 2011 Lotus livery.

It has a black-and-gold design similar to that which Tony Fernandes’s Lotus Racing team also intends to use in 2011, harking back to the John Player Special Lotuses of the 1970s and 1980s.

Renault announced this morning it will be sponsored by Lotus Cars in 2011, who have also invested in the team.

Lotus Racing and Lotus Cars are currently in dispute over the rights to the use the name “Lotus”.

Renault 2011 Lotus livery

Renault 2011 Lotus livery

Update: Another rendering of the livery:

Renault 2011 Lotus livery rendering

Renault 2011 Lotus livery rendering

Lotus naming rights row

Browse all articles on the Lotus naming rights row

131 comments on Renault reveal R30 with new 2011 Lotus livery

1. Anders said on 8th December 2010, 12:25

It´s all ugly, & indeed it looks more like a Wolf, so get rid of the all too big lotus badge!

2. Chris Pattison said on 8th December 2010, 12:25

To be fair the quality of the photo possibly makes it look a little duller then it should but it’s still the poorest example of a JPS theme ever.

If it’s really had the weeks of thought gone into it that they claim then they should be quite embarrassed.

3. Why has a Malaysian backed Luxembourg-owned French sponsored car driven by a Pole got a Union Jack flag on it?

4. Abuelo Paul said on 8th December 2010, 12:30

Pants, 1970’s Airfix kit with a 10 year olds humbrol paint job. Not refined at all.

5. I actualyl quite like it. I’m not a big fan of the red end plates though. I’d still rather have a yellow car to liven up the grid.

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 8th December 2010, 13:02

That black looks suspiciously chocolate-brown to my eyes.

• bosyber said on 8th December 2010, 20:27

Maybe they overpainted a normal one, and didn’t use a thick enough layer of black that the yellow won’t shine through under lights?

7. Ben N said on 8th December 2010, 13:03

Although I wish this livery was on the 2010 Lotus team, I think, all prejudice aside, and forgetting that it has anything to do with JPS, it is in fact quite an attractive livery, it looks very smart as well as racy!

8. Julian said on 8th December 2010, 13:11

So they were perfectly recognizeable throughout the 2010 season with their classy, flashy yellow-black livery, and now they’re back to boring, dull and dirty shades of black with slight gold stripes and ugly red parts to please the sponsors.

I wish my 70 years old grandpa telling these apart from Virgin cars in 2011 -_-

9. Julian said on 8th December 2010, 13:12

Should be

I wish my 70 years old grandpa best of luck telling these apart from Virgin cars in 2011 -_-

10. I don’t see the Lada logo. If it were there, there would have been 3 cars logo on the race car (Lotus, Renault, Lada).
    But anyway, I don’t like this livery
    I hope Team Lotus will keep the green and yellow livery :(

11. Cyclops said on 8th December 2010, 13:37

Quite like it, except for the red plates. Still not THE JPS.

12. SoerenKaae (@soerenkaae) said on 8th December 2010, 13:42

Please lets demonstrate to get them to use the black/yellow livery. This is just ugly, and honestly I think it is just an provocation of the other Lotus team, they didnt even use a real gold color, but some half ass sand-thing.

13. TommyC said on 8th December 2010, 13:50

did someone just chunder on an f1 car? thanks renault for only 1 season of awesome retro livery. now you’re just confusing the flip out of everyone and making me feel sick!

14. I don’t know if it is the way the black and gold is used, the red parts on the livery for Total or because I don’t like this whole Lotus name dispute but from the pictures I have seen I don’t really like the look of the 2011 livery, yet I did like the Lotus black and gold JPS livery from the 1970s/80s.

Just like with Team Lotus I find it odd that they are using the black and gold livery when classic Lotus only used it because of JPS sponsorship and neither are sponsors by JPS and even subliminal tobacco liveries such as with Ferrari and Marlboro are not allowed anymore.

I notice that the car has the British flag on it, does this mean they will officially become a British team. Although the Reanult’s F1 factory is in UK Ranault F1 are French and Proton are Malaysian. Or is it a case that they are trying to associate themselves with classic Lotus so they included the British flag on the car.

15. Cacarella said on 8th December 2010, 14:00

They just painted an entire car with a tobacco companies
    colour scheme. I wonder if the ‘subliminal advertising police’ are going to be all over this the way they were with Marlboro? It sure looks more like a pack of JPS than the barcode ever looked like a pack of Marlies.

The retarded thing is they’re giving free advertising away to a tobacco company!!!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything something similar to this in my life.